• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RFI question

The20poundhammer

May 23, 2016
McKee Ky
Ok guys a lil perplexed here. Never had any RFI issues with my television before last night. Skip running hard on the bowl warmed up everything started working and the xyl said the tv is freezing as I modulate. It only did it when using the cable service. When streaming no issue. Any one any idea? Can weather cause it?
Thanks Tim

Wondering if some element in your Quad has mechanically failed or loosened causing enough imbalance for it to use the coax shield. Make any sense?

Since it only happens when you use the cable box I would say the issue is with RF getting into the cable system somewhere. It could be as basic as a bad or loose connector or a bad cable amp pr a break in the cable shield itself.

Reactions: Greg T
Once you are sure that EVERY connector in line with that cable box is properly tightened, snap-on beads might help. Makes it sound as if the outer surface of the TV coax shield is acting like an antenna, carrying your RF into the house. Just one loose plug anywhere down the coax can do this all by itself.

One remedy we used in the bad old analog cable TV days was to take the two ferrite half-cores from a CRT TV deflection yoke. The TV cable got five or more turns around one half of the core, and the AC power cord for the cable box got wrapped around the other half, preferably wound in the opposite direction. Makes it a "common mode" choke that way. The two halves got duct-taped back together.

At least it was a cheap fix to try first if you had a derelict TV on hand.

Well I will check the connections but its odd there has been no issues beforehand. We have FTP with internet phone and cable thru one provider so not a poor install.

No changes in the hookups so I hope to have time tonight to look at the cable box to make sure nothing is loose there and hook up the analyzer to see if anything has changed antenna and feed line wise

Test your antenna just because.
Maybe a neighbor's cable coax was damaged or removed and not terminated. Lots of rats' nests in that kind of system.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated