• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RFI -- The search continues

If you have a radio that RF Gain put it in a car with an antenna and do a slow cruise around your neighborhood. You might find a house near you is causing a lot of noise. DO NOT contact them directly! It could be grow lights for a Wacky Tabacky indoor farm.

Last edited:
But if you partake in some of that tabacky you will soon find the noise acceptable even pleasant and inviting.

So, I've identified some of the major RFI generators in the house. Some addressed; some not sure how I'm going to address (like the electro-static air cleaner for the HVAC).

Down the street, I do hear power line noise that the power company is investigating.

But I did move my vertical antenna from the top of the house back down to a fence post 5' above the ground, but about 30' horizontally from the house.

My noise on 20meters dropped from S7 down to S1. Similar on other bands, especially on 80meters where I was at S9 with noise and now down to S1.

I'm really amazed that just moving over horizontally 30' reduced the RFI from the house to the Antenna by that much. I still get the occasional birdie on certain frequencies, but for the most part it is an order of magnitude in difference with the noise.

The only other difference is that the feedline is laying on the ground and not vertical along the side of the house. I don't think we were getting RFI on the coax before because if I put a dummy-load on the end of the feedline, I didn't have any noise. But that is the only two differences with the antenna location.

Scratching my head on this...

-J

Moving the antenna away from the house was a smart move. A lot of your noise could be conducted down your power lines in to the house. Did you find any additional noise makes in your house? Dimmer switches, Ceiling fan speed controls, electronic fluorescent light ballast?

Tallman,

I found lots. I've been slowly trying to eliminate them...or at least identify them so I can shut them off when I operate the radio. But moving the antenna made a huge order of magnitude of difference.

-J

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.