• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rigid Dipole or Vertical for 40 meters.

zp9mce

Nov 29, 2010
My sincere greetings to all, I hope you are having a beautiful start to the year 2011 and to meet all their projects in this year is starting.
Well today I come with a question, as I'm up moving I'm looking to build an antenna for 40 meters, this could be vertical or dipole rigid, I do not have sufficient space for wire dipole full wave so I'm looking for a salucion, I would like to know what is the opinion of you in this regard and plans to build one of the two.
Of course grateful for this a big hug.
:p

Most verticals for this band use radials. They are half of the antenna.

If there's no room for a full sized dipole chances are there's no room for
radials.

A full sized rigid vertical dipole would be a mechanical handful.

Can you find room for a shortened dipole say 45 feet?

What is your type of operation? DX, ragchew?

No space for a full size dipole?

Then surely no space for a half square as it uses 1/2 wl for matching to the two vertical ends hanging down.

There are coil loaded dipoles, use loading coils to reduce the size of the dipole. Google is a friend on that one. Can purchase the coils commercialy made, or home brew some using either wire and forms or coax.

Other option is a Vertical, then again you need to have 1/4 wl ground radials, and more than a few to make it semi perform.

Then there are the multi band verticals. No ground required. I tried one, it worked, nothing to brag about. I gave it to someone that needed a vertical due to small yard size. Works for him, gets on the air and that is about all that can be said for a no ground radial vertical.

Now there are other options, Inverted L and a tuner if you do not mind using a tuner. They require ground radials also.

Sloper's if you can get it vertical enough will not take up the full size of a dipole and will work rather well.

Several choices there. hopefully you wlil find what works best for your application.

Dear friends thanks for your replies.
My idea is to use the antenna for DX, I was more interested in the idea of a vertical antenna ground planes.
Perhaps a dipole with coils is a good option too, but if I have the opportunity of a vertical antenna ground planes I would try ..
what is your opinion?
A hug.
73-51.

If you can get the vertical up in he air, Even just 10 feet to feed point then Four ground radials will work fine.

If it is ground mounted, then put as many radials down that you can 1/4 wl in length.

Handbooks say 120 ground radials is most efficient, 32 radials seem to work rather well on my 75 meter vertical.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.