• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

rm BLA1000

I guess I was looking at it as being under rated instead of the CB world over rated but none the less 800 - 1000 watts would not beat the piss out of it and still be just fine for me considering I only tune up or run my amplifiers at 400 - 500 watts anyways and do just fine and rarely have to hit the amp harder then that unless its a noisey 80 meter night ETC.

I do understand what your saying and Im sorry if this is the way I made it sound but as I said I was looking at the rating from the opposite end of the field so to speak. I often laugh at the power rating of some of these (compotition amplifiers) the output numers verse the transistor spec numbers do not meet eye to eyeunless Im just simply missing the magic :confused:

It cool Tony. I hope I didn't piss you off, if so sorry. I hear what you mean about the magic.It only seems to work for monoband amps that are tuned for 26-28 MHz. I can never get that kind of performance out of a multiband ham amp. :cry:

At $5,516.00 that's over $5.51 per RMS watt! I don't know who they will be competing with at that price. It's not that far off from the Yaesu or Icom solid state amp prices. RM certainly does not have the same reputation to warrant a price tag like that. It may be well made but I'd rather have the power of a Commander or Alpha amp for that money. I can take a few seconds to load and tune the amp to gain twice the power at a lower cost. I also feel if they are going to ask 5.5 K$ for 1 KW RMS they should have spent a little more money on making the front panel attractive. Did you check out those cheap Radio Shack blue replacement knobs? As a side note, the amp is rated for 2 KW PEP output with a maximum input power of only 2.6 KW. Needless to say those two numbers are impossible to achieve at the same time due to efficiency. So much for running the amp within the transistors specifications too.

Decided to call the Dutch importer yesterday.

He put up a price of € 3375 still a bit over the top.

Looks like my Heathkit SB-1000 will stay.

:D

One does not buy an amplifier like this for the power. The advantages it offers are only realized by the operator that makes frequent band changes or large frequency changes and wants the simplicity of no tune. I put a few dots with a dry erase marker on the load and tune controls of my amp and go from 10 meters to 75 in a few seconds. Should something go wrong with the tube amp, I can easily repair it myself.

That would be difficult for even the most experienced technician should something go wrong with the electronic control circuits of a quality solid state amp. This would almost certainly require factory authorized service. Another thing to consider on a purchase like this is will there be a service manual published for this amp? To the best of my knowledge RM has never printed a service manual. I wouldn't buy anything this complex and expensive without knowing it's future was backed by a useful service manual.

Another thing to think about is the price compared to the well known ALS-1300 which provides 1200 watts output minimum on all bands. Brand new these are $2700 and have all the support you could ever want!

Rich thats just what I was saying to my spousel unit is that I would just buy the damn ALS-1300 she knows I love the ALS-600 in the other room and the ALS 1300 doubles what that 600 does so a guy isnt going to miss or hear the difference on the bands between 1500 or 1200 watts anyways and Im sure if a person watched closely everyday and had the money set asside they could find a excellent condition used 1300 and save a few dollars anyways.

Kim was fine with the idea of me wanting or trying the BLA-1000 but after we seen these prices listed we couldnt believe it and thought geeze I could by a ALS-1300 or 2 nice used tube type Ameritrons for both mine and the kids benches with that kind of cash if need be. I mean you know what € 3375 = $4,203 american cash could buy!!! $2,000 I could see or maybe even $2,500 for this off brand RM Italy amplifier which again I still am impressed with but thats still alot of coin to be a guinea pig to see what the outcome is for this new amplifier. I think most people would just go with what they know FORSURE is reliable and has tech support behind it.

I really cant honestly say that Im no longer intertested in the new breed of amplifier I certainly still am intrigued with this BLA-1000 and its design so Ill have to see what price tag is slapped on this unit here in the US. Also Bob if you get the chance to play with one of these please post it or PM me Ill have a few questions ;)

bla1000 cool,

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the price was a thousand dollars more around $2,300 to $2,500. The MRF157 transistors alone list for $1,000 a pair. There are a lot more parts in this amp then a tube amp. It also looks like a complete break away from standard RM CB design. Good FET's, nice power supply, and full protection. The inside looks well made and I expect the price will reflect that. It should be good competition for the other more pricey amps like the PW-1. The reviews should be interesting to read once they start coming around.
The drawback is 25 wt drive.hope there signal is clear.And clean.73s John

Dear Mr. Tony,
thank you very much for your interest in our new BLA1000 Amplifier that will be on the market at the middle of September.
Considering that for make a BLA1000 we use N.2 MRF157 Mosfet that assure 1000 Watt Key Down continually-
The retail price will be in the range of € 3.500,00/€ 3.800,00. EURO
For more information, please contact your distributor in your country.
Regards.
rm@rmitaly.com

Good Luck with That Price!

3800 Euro X 1.30 conversion to USD = $4940....:bdh:
Might be a little less but DAMN they are proud of those!

I have less than 40% of that price in my Restored L4B(1300-1500 PEP) and my THP/6m amp....
Looks like I am keeping both...(y)
All the Best
BJ

Be3fore I would pay that kind of money for an RM amp I would buy a QRO Technologies amp and never worry about having a microprocessor die on me. Besides that for the same money you could have three times the power output.

Or if the goal is no tune you could buy five used SB-220 linears. Keeping one tuned for each HF band.....and still have money left over. I also questioned how RF proof those micro processors would be. I would like to see the amp running at full power and lose the counterpoise on the antenna system. SWR foldback is easy to achieve. The question is will it be fast enough to prevent the RF from doing damage it shouldn't.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated