• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

rm BLA1000

i was quoted this price from a distributor
Dear w3nrl,

this unit is 3,999.95 if you'd like to order one call 1-800-638-5451 speak to the manager karen

Just my 2cent
best of 73 de
w3nrl
Nick

just my 2cent

i was quoted a price from a distributor

Dear w3nrl,

this unit is 3,999.95 if you'd like to order one call 1-800-638-5451 speak to the manager karen

Just my 2cents
best of 73 de w3nrl
Nick:whistle:

$3999

At that price I'd buy a PW-1 & get the same band coverage & a KW on ALL bands thru 6 meters with a RESPECTED "WINNER"(ICOM)!

SIX-SHOOTER :unsure:

I turned my nose up at that amplifier when I was quoted the purchase price. Ide rather spend that kind of money on a Ameritron , Alpha or Henry and know what I have!!!

LMAO!!! Thats what I was thinking while reading about the amplifier but it was more of a BLAH BLAH BLAH 1000

On a side point . . .

What kind of company would name their product the "BLA-1000" ? ! ?

Just so long as they don't sell soup - it's OK . . .

What's wrong with calling it a Bitchin' Little Amplifier-1000 or how about a Boisterous Lard Ass-1000 instead.

BTW Dentron called one of their models the GLA-1000 because they thought it was a Great Little Amp and another the MLA-1000 because they thought it was a Magnificent Little Amp.

Good thing RM did not call it the FIA-1000. :whistle:

At that price I'd buy a PW-1 & get the same band coverage & a KW on ALL bands thru 6 meters with a RESPECTED "WINNER"(ICOM)!

SIX-SHOOTER :unsure:

The Icom PW-1 is a nice amp EXCEPT the internal switching power supply. With a small spike on the AC line the supply stopped working. It was the only device in the house to fail from the spike. At the time I subcontracted repairs for an Icom authorized distributor and was quite familiar with troubleshooting down to the component level. I spent the better part of a day taking this unit apart and finding the defective part. It was a small high frequency toroidal transformer and to my disgust Icom informed our company that NO parts whatsoever were available for the power supply.

This was because they farmed the manufacture of this device out to another company. The ONLY option they could offer was for $2,500 they could sell me a new power supply. That was a ridiculous response for a $40 part. As for me, I'll avoid purchasing any Icom equipment in the future. It's bad enough when a company doesn't stock parts on older items but it's completely unacceptable to not have parts available on current production models.

ICOM ONLY!

I'll avoid purchasing any Icom equipment in the future.It's bad enough when a company doesn't stock parts on older items but it's completely unacceptable to not have parts available on current production models.

That's what's GREAT about AMERICA,FREEDOM OF CHOICE! As for me I CHOOSE to buy ONLY "ICOM" radios & a PW-1 purchase is in my FUTURE! }:>)

SIX-SHOOTER :drool:

That's what's GREAT about AMERICA,FREEDOM OF CHOICE! As for me I CHOOSE to buy ONLY "ICOM" radios & a PW-1 purchase is in my FUTURE! }:>)

SIX-SHOOTER :drool:

Perhaps I was hard on Icom because I've have been pleased with some of their other products. Each of the major three manufacturers have their pros and cons that vary with each model and design. If one is thinking about purchasing the PW1 it's nice to know where it's weakness is and the unavailability of major power supply components.

Knowing this would be good incentive to purchase a quality surge / spike protector for the AC line to go with that amp, especially living in the lightning capitol of the USA in Florida. Most of us remember to unplug our coax, short it to ground or use a gas discharge tube for protection during a lightning storm. We often forget to unplug the AC cord thinking it's off. Most modern electronics without hard power switches stay connected to the AC line when off.

As for me, I'll avoid purchasing any Icom equipment in the future. It's bad enough when a company doesn't stock parts on older items but it's completely unacceptable to not have parts available on current production models.

I suppose you think Icom is the only company with that problem? Unfortunately it is not as rare as you may think. With the economy down companies are keeping hardley any stock on hand and often contract out to a company for parts only to have that company close up. It's not just electronics companies having that problem either.

BTW, if the power supply was still a current production model then obviously there was an option other than a completely different model of power supply I would think.

Before retiring from service work I had done factory authorized repairs for Motorola, Kenwood, Icom, Yeasu and others. The Icom PW1 power supply was one of the only times I can remember a manufacturer telling me that no parts were available to an authorized service center on a current production model. I've been able to order parts from the other manufacturers sometimes as late as 10 years after the final production run.

I understand that with most Chinese consumer electronics today, parts are ordered for a run and they don't stock most items long if at all. For the most part the top three amateur manufacturers build in Japan and have maintained a good parts department. The PW1 power supply is a totally different animal.

This particular problem became the topic at a dinner conversation with the man in charge of Icom's sales in the USA. Our argument was as an authorized service center we expect access to current parts. Otherwise what's the point in troubleshooting for a particular manufacturer? He was apologetic because the only thing he could offer was a complete power supply for $2,500 and not a single part inside the enclosure.

He did point out that this was not typical for Icom and that the 50 volt power supply used in the PW1 was not made by them and that Icom had made no arrangement to purchase individual parts. When a $5000 amp is just out of warranty and blows up a $40 part, who's going to be happy with a $2,500 repair before labor?

I admit to being a bit critical of Icom over this and can say the PW1 is an awesome amp. The power supply is not lacking for the eight MRF150 FET's. It's just not immune to any AC spikes. It's also likely the days of being able to order parts on a 10 year old model are gone or will be soon. In the past ham equipment has been resistant of this trend.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.