• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM Station 550

The 1 ohm smoked a few seconds after i powered amp up
With C34 out of line Tr9's collector shows ground

Last edited:
On the schematic it shows TR9 as BD241....the transistor i took out says BD179
That ones a 20 dollar part... This has been more of a learning experience than fixing an amp it has nickled and dimed me past the point of its worth lol

Last edited:
This reminds me of some of the cars i worked on in the 70's and 80's that the same car had 4 different flywheels 3 different sets of crank pulleys ect was no standardizing between them just what ever left over parts they had to use at the time.

Total to date of parts replaced:
TR10
IC2
IC1
TR7
R29 x 2
F1 F2 and guards
About to be TR9

Bd179 is what older RM & zetagi amps used.
last time i bought some they were a 2 dollar part.
If the 1ohm is open tr9 collector is grounded through resistor & tr8.

Got a schematic laying around for that old version? I have been running using a schematic for a newer style and it is not working well for me.
Any chance on using an nte152 in it's place with lead changes?

In all these years you would think i would learn when to toss in the towel be it as it may. I have not. lol

Last edited:
TR9 in the newer amp can use a NTE152 the version i have uses a BD179 or NTE182
But they have different current ratings but seems both versions use the same parts as each other all but TR9. maybe remote mount a NTE152 in it's place? Did they find they could use a part with less current handling or did they change something to lower it in the new versions?

Last edited:
I probably have the schematic for early versions on my old pc but i can't get to it right now. I moved house & most of my stuff is at the old place.

The later amps use a larger higher
rated pass transistor,
Just about anything comparable to the bd179 or higher rated with a similar hfe will work with the standard parts.

179's are worth 2 dollars max or buy something better.

If you remote the transistor make sure you don't get rf on the wires.

I used a nte152 seems to work now but it is not heat sinked yet. I can not find bd179's for under 20 dollars US. Also if you run acrossed The schematic I would like a copy. Thanks

It no longer has that tunneling on the scope trace so that is a plus.

Last edited:
It needs to be heatsinked. The pass transistor dissipates a fair amount of heat at high drive.
As the transistor gets hot conduction increases & bias voltage increases for the same base emitter voltage.

That's not what we want.
Voltage needs to go down as the amp heats up to maintain the same idle current.
Smoking 1ohm within seconds of powering up sounds like you forgot the mica insulator under the bd179.

Trace with amp off and on

Attachments

• off.JPG
    off.JPG
    779.7 KB · Views: 163
  • on.JPG
    on.JPG
    761.5 KB · Views: 172
Found the BD179's for 15 shipped for 2 of them at Cricklewood Electronics Ltd I will try those when they come in

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated