• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Robyn T-240D Executive

If you get time - you can always look up what Texas Instruments have done...

http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/tidu765/tidu765.pdf

And I have used similar techniques in the past.

The one thing that let's me down about TI's design, is the lack of "shielding" and biasing needs in RF presence.

The link is to a PDF that has some simple circuits, a good basic explanation and a how to to fabricate a PC board to make their circuit and I've attached a PDF I got from there. But what it is lacking is what many Amateur radio ops use now for supplying power in such a circuit.

The TI design - is for single ended power supplies. A dropping resistor is used to limit current thru the FET but what they don't show you is the power needs in an environment that's going to have RF in it.

So you'll need to use some different means to power it but they are pretty much the same for a reason - RF shielding and keeping it from squealing...
ElectretSchematic.png

To keep RF out you need a power flowing thru a simple circuit to remove stray RF from getting into the Mic. When you apply a "static" voltage - the result is the part can get damaged and or RF can get thru and cause a feedback loop. To keep voltages from your source being too high, use a divider with values that provide enough current to power the device AND provide LINEAR operation thru an Impedance Resistor.

The FET in the mic itself - if left to itself - will act a lot like a switch that turns on and off very quickly as that membrane vibrates - RI (Impedance Resistor) provides a working resistive element along with CF - a means to SLOW DOWN that rapid switching and provide a linear analog signal using a smoothing filter (low pass)..

So keep it simple but the tonal part? CF and CTF do that. But remember too, for the RI value PULLS power from the divider as that FET switches from High-Impedance State to Low-Impedance State and back again - like a switch - as your voice vibrates that membrane. So the LINEARITY of your Audio - as well as level of power and the peak tonal response curve factors into your choices of values.

Higher CF values improves tonal bandpass and raises Bass response.

Lower-smaller CF values RAISES the tone and NARROWS the bandpass.

Both CF an RI work as a filter too. CF provides smoothing of the rapid switching in regards to RI. While RI provides the working impedance against the switching effect the FET imposes on the circuit and overall volume as a linear function of the smoothing effect CF and RI have on each other.

IF RI is too low, distortion and weak audio occurs, for RI "dumps" charge too rapidly thru CF and the Mic itself...

If RI is too high, weak audio and lack of fidelity - tinny response (RC circuit Hi - Pass tonal filter).

Just remember that many good mics and radios never lasted long when people used Electrets and forgot to accommodate for RF as well as voltage potentials - both can ruin the FET-amp inside the element.

Attachments

• tidu765.pdf
    960.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I own Two of the T-240D Robyn radios & I love them.Great transmit audio with an amplified Golden Eagle D-104 desk microphone is the Bomb.One of my 240D's is MINT & the other is pretty close to it.I also own several of the other models made by other companies that are the same radio with a different company name & of course they are not that Beautiful YELLOW color either. {:>)

SIX-SHOOTER

Ah, err...I am just gonna have to be blunt and ask...

You have a D104 - you have a Robyn T-240 D - and you just need a mic for it.

Why use something like the LM386? It can overdrive that radio. The amp is configured at the moment in your reference to power a simple speaker - so it is definitely strong enough to drive a speaker, you can hurt the radio from the drive it can send it.

Now if you had a Cobra 19 Plus or perhaps something that used to have an Electret laying around that needed Line-Level outputs to have enough oomph to drive the mic amp in those types of radios - I can see the application.

But a 386 may wind up being more trouble than it's worth - simply from the efforts you'll have to make to keep the amplifier stable in a Mic like the D104 as well as in an RF environment.

Did you think of the power supply needs?

It easily uses 9V but just not sure how long that will last in the base of the mic.

And the potential for Squeals.

Did someone recommend this?
Because at current configuration they will send you - as with all the SMD devices on it, it is for a speaker amp for say a simple AM radio.

Attachments

• STMLM386.jpg
    STMLM386.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 4
STM/Chris: I am with Andy again. I think you believing that rig is going to be short on audio, may be a misconception. All those variants of that rig I ever messed with(yrs ago) all sounded good on the air. I think you said the D104 is now working...why not just try as-is for now and see where it goes.
I would be more inclined if that does not suit you,then go with a Shure 444/450 type mic and one of these outboard 3 band eq's with a compressor, if your really trying to tailor the rig's TX audio to your desire.
I just think you maybe, might be surprised at the reports once you get it on-the air.
I would first verify that the tubes all test good and then tweak/align per manual and see how it sounds. I never did the plate/ audio mod to any I ever worked on.
I was always a big fan of that Panasonic chassis and always had the thoughts of having one on 10m AM...but another project another day:whistle:...if I ever run across one at a fest, I feel is worth the money and effort.
As always my simple 2 cents worth.
All the Best
Gary

Ah, err...I am just gonna have to be blunt and ask...

You have a D104 - you have a Robyn T-240 D - and you just need a mic for it.

Why use something like the LM386? It can overdrive that radio. The amp is configured at the moment in your reference to power a simple speaker - so it is definitely strong enough to drive a speaker, you can hurt the radio from the drive it can send it.

Now if you had a Cobra 19 Plus or perhaps something that used to have an Electret laying around that needed Line-Level outputs to have enough oomph to drive the mic amp in those types of radios - I can see the application.

But a 386 may wind up being more trouble than it's worth - simply from the efforts you'll have to make to keep the amplifier stable in a Mic like the D104 as well as in an RF environment.

Did you think of the power supply needs?

It easily uses 9V but just not sure how long that will last in the base of the mic.

And the potential for Squeals.

Did someone recommend this?
Because at current configuration they will send you - as with all the SMD devices on it, it is for a speaker amp for say a simple AM radio.

I ended up getting this X-Bones kit instead of the W2ENY element. I had read somewhere that the original TUG8 amplifier would need the capacitors changed to get a wider response for the audio so I figured "Here is a guy that figured it all out" The impedance and level matching is the hard part for me and I didn't want to really experiment on my gear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/D104-G-Stand-UG8-TUG9-Amplifier-board-relay-FET-Transformer-X-Bones-Upgrade-kit/202320410040?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=502296847678&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

s-l64.png

The audio from the amp board goes straight to the audio line. No magic there. I think one of the resistors on the relay board keeps the amp from getting the full 9v, I will have to look at it again. The relay board is kind of nice but the contacts inside the mic still worked so the relay is not really necessary for me. I am running the stock D-104 element and there is a provision on the board for this so it doesn't send power to the element. I will see if I can get some good pictures of the board.

STM/Chris: I am with Andy again. I think you believing that rig is going to be short on audio, may be a misconception. All those variants of that rig I ever messed with(yrs ago) all sounded good on the air. I think you said the D104 is now working...why not just try as-is for now and see where it goes.
I would be more inclined if that does not suit you,then go with a Shure 444/450 type mic and one of these outboard 3 band eq's with a compressor, if your really trying to tailor the rig's TX audio to your desire.
I just think you maybe, might be surprised at the reports once you get it on-the air.
I would first verify that the tubes all test good and then tweak/align per manual and see how it sounds. I never did the plate/ audio mod to any I ever worked on.
I was always a big fan of that Panasonic chassis and always had the thoughts of having one on 10m AM...but another project another day:whistle:...if I ever run across one at a fest, I feel is worth the money and effort.
As always my simple 2 cents worth.
All the Best
Gary

Even though the mic element started working again, I wasn't sure that it would stay working long. Then I started thinking that it could be better if the audio was a little wider. I had been looking at the Sure mics a while back and would like to go that route eventually. I really need a good way to test what I sound like on the air so I can tell what I am doing. With this X-Bones conversion, it doesn't seem to drive the Robyn as hard as the stock TUG8 amp did. It is more that enough for my Madison though, maybe it has something to do with the impedance. I don't have any test gear for alignments but I read somewhere how to basically align one radio to the other. I will have to see if I can find it. One of our locals has a tube tester and I could probably get him to help me out. And last but not least, I have to build some shelves in my desk so I can have a place to put it. If I could only build a shelf that is as nice as the desk, I will have to figure something out.
Chris

Reactions: Dmans
They sound fine until you push the modulation much past 100 percent.

Then they just get muddy, not 'loud'.

Most textbook descriptions of the Heising modulator circuit mention that you'll have trouble getting good positive modulation peaks.

Hieising modulation is an interesting way to do it. Now I have some reading to do. I guess the Modulation light on the Robyn can help me keep it clean.
http://www.w8ji.com/Heising modulation.htm
https://amwindow.org/tech/htm/heisingorwhat.htm
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=167991

Chris:D Do you have a dummy load? One of those 15-20 watt jobie's that screw right on the back of the rig.
zmf-261.jpg

Then use the old receiver you have, without antenna connected and use it for a monitor. Use like the 5kc /Am filter on it...should make an acceptable monitor.
Maybe Andy remembers without digging up the manual, but I would guess(swag) that the Robyn needs a Low impedance(600 Ohm) input. I would really have to look to be quite sure.
So you might try that idea. Make sure you use the correct filter and keep the RF and AF gain about half way back on the old receiver,until you get about half scale on the S meter with no feedback thru the speaker from mic, and that should give you a pretty good idea of what it will sounds like "On the Air"...it's not a prefect system, but without a scope it should be pretty damn close.
Drop me a line, if you can't find a tester for the tubes. We may be able to work out packing them and I'll run them thru my two...and get them back your way.
GL
All the Best
Gary

PS:https://www.gordonwestradioschool.com/main/page_w5yi_training_resources.html
FOCUS!!!:whistle::LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.