• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rotor opinions

avistar23

May 17, 2005
Nassau Bahamas
I had two yeasu G450's, during a lightning strike it took out one control box, i took the control box out of the spare one and put it into service, put the now broken control head up to repair later... well.. its later.. and its gone, one way or another i can find it, its gone, and not coming back

Now.. i need two rotors.. i want to be able to spin my 2 meter setup..

i really cant spend all of the shipping and duty on a second replacement control head right now, just sank about 2 grand into my vhf antennas. amps and wire.

so, i was wondering if anyone had a better solution than the following

use one head, have both cables enter the shack (labeled), return the rotor to north before switching over cables, once i do this every time i plug in my hf beam or 2m beam i know im at north, then when i want to switch back i put it back to north and re plug in.

opinions? thoughts? (hopefully better ideas?)

As soon as you started I could see where you were going and I was concerned about the direction thing and thought about the same solution you did. The Yaesu rotators are good but I do not like the synchro motor for a readout in the control unit. The Hygain type with the direction indicator pot was better suited for what you suggest as you would not have to re-zero each time. The only solution I could add to your idea would be to look harder for the missing unit.

As soon as you started I could see where you were going and I was concerned about the direction thing and thought about the same solution you did. The Yaesu rotators are good but I do not like the synchro motor for a readout in the control unit. The Hygain type with the direction indicator pot was better suited for what you suggest as you would not have to re-zero each time. The only solution I could add to your idea would be to look harder for the missing unit.

Yeh, thanks.. the hy gain sure sounds better, but no can do.

it had to have been thrown away, that's what sucks, i was away in school a long time, these things happen. oh well.

QTM,, Eham,,QRZ classifieds has used equipment, you may be able to find a control box on one of them in expensive.

a bit perhaps..
(but even the 2 meter beam alone is on a 18 ft boom)
However i have 3 beams on my create
(2 meters..1.25 meters...70cm...and still can be argued it is a bit much...however given the extremes weather that happens upon my area at times..i prefer being safe as opposed to sorry)

Forget the radio shack rotor..
they are next to useless for all but the smallest of beams..

however it is inexpensive

a bit perhaps..
(but even the 2 meter beam alone is on a 18 ft boom)
However i have 3 beams on my create
(2 meters..1.25 meters...70cm...and still can be argued it is a bit much...however given the extremes weather that happens upon my area at times..i prefer being safe as opposed to sorry)

An 18 ft boom on 2m is still pretty small for those rotators regardless of weather. My CD-44 rotator which is one step under a Ham-4 handled a 2m beam on a 12 ft boom,a 6 element 6m beam on an 18 ft boom, and an A3 tribander on a 14 ft boom all at the same time for 22 years without a hitch including those wild noreasters we get and a nurricane or two all while on a 40 ft tower. There is being safe and then there is just plain crazy over rated.An AR-40 will handle a 2m on an 18 ft boom as long as there is a short mast between the rotator and the antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.