1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

RV Ham Radio fun

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by Moleculo, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator
    Staff Member

I got the RV out to a local RV Park in the wilderness and spent the weekend having some fun on 40 meters. The setup is simple but effective for what it is.

[​IMG]

I put a portable table next to the RV and ran clamp on power wires from the house batteries into the West Mountain Radio Rig Runner 4004U. I just picked up this little power distribution unit for about $85 at HRO. You get 4 anderson power pole connections with varying current capabilities, plus a couple of USB ports, which is also useful for things like Raspberry PI based ham applications.

The HF Amp is an MX-P50A, capable of 50 watts on 10-80m. I found that the amp had no problem delivering the desired power when working within 2:1 SWR conditions. And of course, the rig is the Elecraft KX3. You can tell I took this pic in the morning because of the coffee cup; that was replaced by beer later in the day ;).

The antenna used is the Buddipole deluxe kit with the Low Band coil, Triple Ratio Switch balun (I operated at 1:1), a 12' collapsible whip, on a 20' telescoping aluminum mast with a counterpoise run to the top of the RV roof. To attach the Buddipole VersaTee to the mast, I just picked up a 1/2" lawn sprinkler nipple which screws right into the VersaTee, drilled a hole through both the mast and nipple, and put a quick release D-Ring pin through it. The setup is quick and easy to deploy, especially if you've pre-marked the coil and counterpoise for the desired band.

[​IMG]

This time I only operated Phone, which is what I enjoy the most, but I think next time I'll bring a laptop and play with the digital modes. One day I might purchase a100 watt amp to go with the KX3, but I'm really pretty happy with this setup.

WECSOG, Jay Mojave, Tokin and 7 others like this.

2. fogdog

fogdog Sr. Member

Cool

3. binrat

binrat WDX Club Coordinator
    Staff Member

KX3 and a p50 amp are a good combo.
    I have hundreds of contacts with my KX2 and p50. Nov 7 I was getting 59 reports from Europe while activating a SOTA summit.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  4. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Good to see this. I’ve a travel trailer to outfit, and my son got bitten by the Elecraft bug.