• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sad News For Civil Rights

was a time some 20 yrs ago.. my brother and i got caught in a very bad riptide off of long island..It took us a couple miles off shore and thus took us a couple hours to swim back to shore..is indeed a bit scary when you are out in the ocean so far from shore that way

Yes its very scary.....did you try swimming parallel to shore to try an swim out of it....that is what you are supposed to do?

according to the CDC about 10 deaths a day occur for what they term unintentional drowning...what that means i don't know.

i know what you saying about rip tides.

when i was young my brother and i were swimming in a pool and for no reason at all my brother started struggling and apparently drowning, good thing plenty of folks were there to help him out.

may have been a cramp in his legs and then panic.

when i was young my brother and i were swimming in a pool and for no reason at all my brother started struggling and apparently drowning, good thing plenty of folks were there to help him out.

may have been a cramp in his legs and then panic

When I was a youngster we used to all go swimming on the San Joaquin River down at a place called Syracuse Point, there was a small island out in the middle of the river that we would swim out to....we had done it dozen`s of times.
On one Sunday afternoon we were all out there with family, and one of my cousins for some unknown reason started freaking out at about mid stream....I swam over to him to help and he damn near drowned me, he kept trying to climb up on me to get out of the water, and just kept shoving me underwater.....If my younger brother had not been there to help get him settled down i do not think we would have made it.
Some people just get freaked out when in deep water for some reason.

Jeff

I hope his death was painless even if he was drunk/stoned.

May the good lord bless his soul and bring comfort to his family. May the good lord bless the souls of those that left before him and to those that will follow.

There is just too much hatred in this world.

and as someone here once said "we all have a date with the dirt"-something like that

Reactions: 2 people
Yes its very scary.....did you try swimming parallel to shore to try an swim out of it....that is what you are supposed to do?

tried swimming parallel at first.. still was a huge riptide that was getting us nowhere.. so we simply treaded water until we were free of it ( and unfortunately way off shore ).. Then we swam parellel for a few minutes... Only then we began out swim back to shore,taking hours (people were only dots..as we bobbled in the waves )

However.. We Both lived to tell the tale ( i do recall thing lots of possible sharks though...and was sure to tell my brother.. we needed to swim slowly with absolute minimal splashing and not at all in an excited manor )

When I was a youngster we used to all go swimming on the San Joaquin River down at a place called Syracuse Point, there was a small island out in the middle of the river that we would swim out to....we had done it dozen`s of times.
On one Sunday afternoon we were all out there with family, and one of my cousins for some unknown reason started freaking out at about mid stream....I swam over to him to help and he damn near drowned me, he kept trying to climb up on me to get out of the water, and just kept shoving me underwater.....If my younger brother had not been there to help get him settled down i do not think we would have made it.
Some people just get freaked out when in deep water for some reason.

Jeff

That is among the Greatest Risks to recusers and life guards..being drowned when trying to save another in a water rescue

I hope his death was painless even if he was drunk/stoned.

May the good lord bless his soul and bring comfort to his family. May the good lord bless the souls of those that left before him and to those that will follow.

There is just too much hatred in this world.

and as someone here once said "we all have a date with the dirt"-something like that

I used to go swimming daily in a big reservoir (3 to 5 hour swim )
Once way out i took a break and took a simple duck under the water to rinse my face and get hair out of my eyes.. I nearly drowned as suddenly i could not tell which way was up ( it was so absolutely dark ) i started freaking out.. gobbling water when finally i felt air instead of water..

i likely was only ever a couple of feet under water but wow how disturbing a feeling it is in how quickly it can go so terribly wrong.. ( life guards used to get on my case since i made sure i was at the beach more then an hour before them..so by time they arrived on station i was far enough away from them so as to not be able to hear them nor for them to be able to come to me...

I finally stopped swimming in that reservoir when one day about 200 ft away on the sure i saw a black bear.. i knew as good a swimmer i was.. the bear was far better..lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.