1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

SBE Console V shops

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by Hairball, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Hairball

Hairball New Member

Hello,
    I just picked up a new in box NOS SBE Console V. Does anyone know of a shop that has experience working with these radios? The radio is a little off frequency on SSB and I would like to get it aligned and checked over. I would even be open to recapping the radio if it needs it even though it has never been used. I know the SBE's are built a little different thats why I would like someone with some experience with them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Harry

Slowmover and Shadetree Mechanic like this.

2. loosecannon

loosecannon Sr. Member

the fact that the radio has never been used has nothing to do with whether or not the radio is going to work now or not.

SBE radios are no different than any other cb radio except for the "vias" that were used to transfer electricity from the top of the board to the bottom of the board.

you have a radio that is old, and it's going to cost you money to make it work right again.
    LC

Slowmover, Klondike Mike and Tokin like this.
  3. Tokin

Tokin 42Zero Tampa

Lack of use is just as bad for caps as over use. Caps tend to dry out over time of not being used. You would be very wise to have it freshened up before putting into service.
    Where are you located? I ask because some techs wont accept mail ins because of the rough shipping conditions so maybe there is someone near you.

4. Hairball

Hairball New Member

I understand that a radio that has never been used is just as problematic as a radio that was in use. Thats why I am looking for someone with experience with Console V's to go thru the radio and check it out. I have no problem putting money in the radio if it needs it. The radio works fine right now except for being slightly off frequency on SSB. I am located outside Chicago and have no problem driving the radio to a tech to get the work done if they do not accept shipped equipment. Thank you for the replies.

Tokin likes this.
  5. Dmans

Dmans Sr. Member

OldTech03 is a member here and not far from you I believe. A PM to him could start the ball rolling.

David

jkp1 and Tokin like this.
  6. OldTech03

OldTech03 Sr. Member

Well, I have worked on those before don't remember how many times as many thousands of radios have passed over my workbench I started 50 years back. I do remember SBE used to brag about every single radio being tested before it was shipped. But that was then and this is now. Any radio that has been stagnant for that many years can develop electrolytic issues.

7. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

8. Hairball

Hairball New Member

Thank you all for the info. The challenge is finding someone who would know a bit about the radio and want to work on it.

9. Staybolt

Staybolt Well-Known Member

Good luck with that. Most techs avoid those double sided board radios like kryptonite... my tech wont even look at them..

10. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Yeah those are hard to work on and all the really good techs here in the Chicago area are gone. Sight and Sound in Chicago Heights was an authorized service center for SBE but they closed years ago.

11. Klondike Mike

Klondike Mike Sr. Member

12. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

duh fuk u talkin 'bout Willis?

13. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Don't know why, but it seems like nearly every SBE CB we have seen the last ten years had one or more bad electrolytic caps.

Recapping the radio is better than troubleshooting the next cap that goes bad every week or three. We call that method "Electronic Whack-A-Mole".

14. guitar_199

guitar_199 Sr. Member

Just to weigh in......
    I'm certainly not a dedicated repair tech as many of you are. I am a guy with a decent electronic training background...trying to have fun learning how to work on this just to make me giggle!

I am currently involved in a recap of my SBE Console V and just taking my own sweet time to do it. Still have about 10 more caps to go. I am also turning it on every few caps to help me insure that I haven't shorted anything. VERY confident that I am putting caps back in with the proper polarity (checking the cap as it comes out, checking the silkscreen on the PCB, REchecking the new cap as I put it in, and doing them all 'one at a time'!).

I haven't heard what I would call improvement yet....but I don't think this is "magic" either! The remaining ones I have to do .... are pretty much along the RF amp/IF stages.

I know what some short-comings were and will be focusing on those once I have the caps all done. (low RF signal in, transmit seems to not work or be EXTREMELY low).

The next thing I have planned is an alignment but I think it might be wiser to focus on any apparent failures first.... and get the repairs done.

I just know I want mine working!!!!!!!

[Edited to add]
    I am doing this with Klondike Mike's Console V cap kit.

15. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Good policy. A stray solder bridge on a solder pad of a new cap will be easier to spot if you only need to eyeball a few new connections. You never know what if any improvement you'll see until they're all installed. Even if you're not getting an immediate boost in performance you can see or hear, you're ahead for doing it. Murphy's Law says the next old cap to die would be when you most want to use the radio.

guitar_199 and BJ radionut like this.