• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Scary Snake Radio "Setting Up" President Lincoln II V3

One time I was called out to one of our AM broadcast sites as the Gates BC-1 transmitter had gone off the air. It kept blowing the 600 volt power supply that provided power to the RF drivers and audio amp section prior to the modulators. It would blow a fuse as fast as I could install them yet static resistance checks said things were fine. Getting fed up I decided to replace the fuse (3 amp IIRC) with a higher rated one to see if it would hold or if I could see anything happening before it blew. I was getting low on fuses and installed a 7 amp slo-blow and watched carefully as I hit the switch. BINGO!! I saw a tiny purplish-green flash in one hard to get at corner of the audio driver board just before the fuse blew. It ended up being a shorted ceramic disc bypass capacitor that would appear OK with an ohmmeter but when the 600 volts was applied it would flash over and short to ground. The slo-blow fuse allowed it to heat up enough before blowing that I was finally able to see where the fault was. Sometimes desperate times calls for desperate measures. If you're lucky they work. If not you have to explain to the boss how all the extra damage happened. LOL

Reactions: Dmans and PoDuck
This thread has went way too far. I do not BELIEVE for a minute that anyone that KNEW even a sliver of radio repair would put a 20A fuse in a radio.

Low_Boy, Jon666 is telling the truth. that did happen to him.

Tim started out trying to learn how to modify radios on the old "the mod" yahoo group.

when it became clear that he was taking in other peoples' radios and then coming on to the group asking us how to fix 'his' radio problems, we warned him against practicing on other peoples' equipment and he got mad at us and told us to F off.
that is how Snake Radios got started.
LC

Reactions: KD2GOE and Low_Boy
Than I must apologize. I would not think anyone would ever try such a thing. Especially if this person had any kind of clue about radios. I must say I am sorry.

Ok, time for a shameless plug, where do you get yours?

(y)(y)(y)
I honestly don't remember. I know I got the first one I ever got from eBay, but I picked a couple up from a local auction, and I picked up a couple from some site I stumbled on. It wasn't a normal electronics distributor like digikey though.

Digi-Key has those.
I have many programmable supplies so I limit current that way.

The circuit breakers do the job too.
I have a current limiting power supply also, but I still fuse everything in case I'm not being as attentive as I should be to my settings.

No problem Jon,

I know you and i have had differences of opinion in the past, but i know exactly how bad you got screwed by SRC.

that being said, i also know Low_Boy and he is a solid dude. I have a feeling that his post was based on how absurd it sounded that a radio shop tried the "smoke test" in order to find a problem that they should have been able to troubleshoot.
LC

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.