• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Server Power Supply Conversion Cheap

These power supplies are not suitable for HAM radio. At best, they can be used for mobile CB radios in stationary mode. Even in a modified state, these devices can't deliver more than 13.5 VDC and that would not be enough for the full output power.

I am not familiar with the product, but I would first check which pins are connected to ground and then check all pins for their respective voltage. In my understanding, 1S should be connected to one of these grounded pins together with another one to turn it on.

ok so i need 13.8v to run my radio? what happens when i am camping and running my radio off a deep cycle battery and i only have 12v?

These power supplies are not suitable for HAM radio. At best, they can be used for mobile CB radios in stationary mode. Even in a modified state, these devices can't deliver more than 13.5 VDC and that would not be enough for the full output power.

I am not familiar with the product, but I would first check which pins are connected to ground and then check all pins for their respective voltage. In my understanding, 1S should be connected to one of these grounded pins together with another one to turn it on.

Amateur gear will run perfectly fine on 13.5 volts and usually down to 12.5 volts before things start to drop off in power. I don't see any difference in power output from my FT-857 when I shut the engine off and the voltage drops from 14.2 volts to about 13 volts.

Reactions: binrat
Amateur gear will run perfectly fine on 13.5 volts and usually down to 12.5 volts before things start to drop off in power. I don't see any difference in power output from my FT-857 when I shut the engine off and the voltage drops from 14.2 volts to about 13 volts.
You should know that the Yaesu FT-857 is designed as a mobile device, so this also applies to all other mobile devices, no matter which manufacturer. But even if a mobile device is used in a stationary environment, this power supply can only be regarded as an emergency solution at best, since it does not have the necessary filters in the RF range and can therefore cause interference despite being shielded. :oops:

So don't use it for HAM Radio!

Last edited:
Amp and radio runs perfectly fine on my server power supply.
Indeed? And what does that mean now, that all others were stupid enough to invest in quality just because they wanted a reliable and stable power supply? It's unbelievable that one complains about any kind of disturbance on virtually every occasion, but when it comes to your own equipment, there's not a lot of cheapness left. For an amateur radio operator this is downright absurd. o_O

You should know that the Yaesu FT-857 is designed as a mobile device, so this also applies to all other mobile devices, no matter which manufacturer. But even if a mobile device is used in a stationary environment, this power supply can only be regarded as an emergency solution at best, since it does not have the necessary filters in the RF range and can therefore cause interference despite being shielded. :oops:

So don't use it for HAM Radio!

So when I refute your claim about low voltage you change tactics. First you say about mobile equipment operating on an external power supply WILL suffer from low output when on a server supply and then you agree that my statement about mobile radios NOT suffering low output applies to mobile radios of all manufacturers. Seems self contradicting to me. BTW it's NOT just mobile radios but virtually ALL radios designed for a nominal 12 volts. Unless it has a dedicated built in AC power supply it runs on a nominal 12 volts and it may not be designed as a mobile radio either. Next you resort to the RFI issue that may or may not be present. Instead of making blanket claims like "You should NOT do this because this WILL happen" you should really be saying "IF you do this be aware that this MIGHT happen and IF it does THIS is what you can do to resolve the issue". My HP blade server 50 volt/60 amp power supply is quite free from RFI hash. I installed a pair of LARGE toroids on the output leads just in case anyway but so far no problems from it. AT ALL. I know of several more in use without issues as well. Those that use server supplies should be made aware of POSSIBLE issues and how to resolve them IF they should come up. Why would I go out and buy a 50 volt 3000 watt power supply costing $$$$ when I can get a server supply for $35 plus shipping? So what if it costs me another couple dollars for toroids IF there is a problem? Granted toroids may not solve the issue EVERY time but it is well worth it to at least try. Have you priced a communications rated 50 volt 3000 watt supply lately?

Apparently you haven't met a lot of amateurs then. :ROFLMAO: Either that or your conceptions about them are way off.
Yup, I run a server PS as well on the bench. 12v 47a i do believe. Small amount of hash on 80 metres. I got 3 for $40. Converted all 3 to Anderson connectors, voltage to 12.3 vdc
Sold 2 to locals for $25 each. Everyone is happy.

Last edited:
BTW it's NOT just mobile radios but virtually ALL radios designed for a nominal 12 volts. Unless it has a dedicated built in AC power supply it runs on a nominal 12 volts and it may not be designed as a mobile radio either.
This is total nonsense, the 13.8 V were not introduced simply for fun, that has its reasons. To generalize here and claim that a minimum supply of 12 V is now applicable to all radios is just as completely unrealistic. The previously mentioned disadvantages of modified power supplies, which were developed for a completely different purpose, should be well known. Discussing this is therefore a waste of time, especially if you also start mixing all mobile devices with HAM radios. :rolleyes:

So if you're talking only about mobile devices, like the Yaesu FT-857, then it's just nonsensical to provide them with only the minimum voltage of 12 V for mobile use, if they are used only stationary anyway. The bandwidth for the supply of these devices is significantly larger in accordance with their design than with all other radios. That's why they are also more universally applicable and generally attractive. In fact, for this reason alone, a regular operation with 13.8 V is necessarily better than just with the minimum voltage mentioned. The use of a high quality power supply is therefore not only a question of money, but also of reason. The idea here to save costs, I think is just as perverted, as the minimum supply of an amateur radio used as a base station. Therefore, I maintain my statement, 13.8 V guarantee in all cases a much more stable and cleaner output power than with this Chinese crap, which would also need to be additionally modified so that it works in a theoretically usable voltage range.

In principle, radio interference of any kind should always be avoided first in one's own home, and not only in the neighborhood! It is unbelievable how much hypocrisy and false opportunism is displayed here when it comes to convincingly finding a justification, just to save a few bucks. Shame on you! (n)

So I repeat: don't use these cheap power supplies for the stationary operation of your amateur radio!

This is total nonsense, the 13.8 V were not introduced simply for fun, that has its reasons. To generalize here and claim that a minimum supply of 12 V is now applicable to all radios is just as completely unrealistic. The previously mentioned disadvantages of modified power supplies, which were developed for a completely different purpose, should be well known. Discussing this is therefore a waste of time, especially if you also start mixing all mobile devices with HAM radios. :rolleyes:

So if you're talking only about mobile devices, like the Yaesu FT-857, then it's just nonsensical to provide them with only the minimum voltage of 12 V for mobile use, if they are used only stationary anyway. The bandwidth for the supply of these devices is significantly larger in accordance with their design than with all other radios. That's why they are also more universally applicable and generally attractive. In fact, for this reason alone, a regular operation with 13.8 V is necessarily better than just with the minimum voltage mentioned. The use of a high quality power supply is therefore not only a question of money, but also of reason. The idea here to save costs, I think is just as perverted, as the minimum supply of an amateur radio used as a base station. Therefore, I maintain my statement, 13.8 V guarantee in all cases a much more stable and cleaner output power than with this Chinese crap, which would also need to be additionally modified so that it works in a theoretically usable voltage range.

In principle, radio interference of any kind should always be avoided first in one's own home, and not only in the neighborhood! It is unbelievable how much hypocrisy and false opportunism is displayed here when it comes to convincingly finding a justification, just to save a few bucks. Shame on you! (n)

So I repeat: don't use these cheap power supplies for the stationary operation of your amateur radio!

You have your opinion and I have reality . FWIW I still much prefer the old linear type power supplies. Weight be damned but they are CLEAN and rugged and MUCH easier to repair. I also stand by what I said when I said: "IF you do this be aware that this MIGHT happen and IF it does THIS is what you can do to resolve the issue" in regards to using a server PSU. For some reason you cannot seem to understand that some people know what really works and how to solve the issue when it does not.That's the difference between being well informed and just plain blind.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.