• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Setting a Rohn 25G

Well I’ve seen it all now. That settles it for me, I’m buying a copter.

If any of you remember 577-Jersey from CBT, he has one of those backpack style glider hangy flyer thingies. Maybe he’d be interested in getting into the business of raising towers? Haha. I watch him on YouTube, he has a bigger pair than I do, looks fun but I’d freak out.

You’re in a ham club and asking about raising your tower and this one guy says “well I got a helicopter”. Can you imagine the looks on everyone’s faces? Priceless.

Great example of more money than brains. If you could afford the helicopter lift why would you limit yourself to puny little Rohn 25? I paid $350 to have a 100 foot boom truck stand up my fully assembled 64 foot Trylon T500 free standing tower. Best $350 I ever spent and the tower will take more than a Rohn 25 and has no guy wires in the way.

Oh come on now Kilowatt, you know you’d like to have a helicopter, think of all the fun you could have. You could invite all of us over and we could take turns flying it, you could grill us all burgers and steaks...it’d be fun.

We could call you Captain Over just like in Airplane, we could make ridiculous statements into fake mics and then say “Captain Over, over...”.

(y)

Oh come on now Kilowatt, you know you’d like to have a helicopter, think of all the fun you could have. You could invite all of us over and we could take turns flying it, you could grill us all burgers and steaks...it’d be fun.

We could call you Captain Over just like in Airplane, we could make ridiculous statements into fake mics and then say “Captain Over, over...”.

(y)

No eggbeater for me. I'll stick to fixed wing aircraft thank you. I'll take a glide landing to an auto-rotation landing any day. Less mess to clean up when things don't go quite right.

Do you fly? You have a license or a learning? A friend of mine, another ham, has a license. I’m too chicken to get in the sky but I imagine the sight is awesome.

The way that thing was swinging I was waiting for somebody to get hurt. Seemed like over kill to me.. think I will stick with my old trusty gin pole...
Exactly what I was thinking, nothing wrong with a gin pole. Someone has to climb it now to put the antenna on anyway. If it was my tower it would be a tilt over and I would use the loader on my tractor to take it up and down.

I have many thousands of hours in Sikorsky Helicopters and many hundreds of Autorotation landings (practice) and 1 Autorotation landing (necessity). I still have all the body parts I was born with-some are a little sore now but All is well that ends well!

73's
David

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.