• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Shipping costs are out of hand!

Crawdad

Down in the mud invasive species
Nov 11, 2016
Ordering materials to brew up a wire Moxon for 10 meters and the shipping costs are over 1/3 the cost of the material. On one of the major items (8 ft. pieces) the shipping is close to 80% of the material. Has gotten kind of ridiculous. Thanks for listening, I just needed to get that off my chest :mad:.

Ordering materials to brew up a wire Moxon for 10 meters and the shipping costs are over 1/3 the cost of the material. On one of the major items (8 ft. pieces) the shipping is close to 80% of the material. Has gotten kind of ridiculous. Thanks for listening, I just needed to get that off my chest :mad:.

For my 20M and 15M moxons I used painters poles that I get at the local hardware store.

Reactions: S&W357
Long items cost big $$$. Always have actually, but I agree it has increased. I bought a tower from a place in Ontario many years ago and shipped it to Nova Scotia. It was about nine feet long, weighed about 1000 pounds and cost over a dollar a pound to ship it by freight truck. Try shipping costs on an 8 foot mobile antenna.

bought a tower from a place in Ontario many years ago and shipped it to Nova Scotia. It was about nine feet long, weighed about 1000 pounds and cost over a dollar a pound to ship it by freight truck.
Imagine what that would be like now CK. Second mortgage maybe?

• Haha
Reactions: NZ8N and Rwb
A Solarcon I-Max is obtainable for $170 shipping on 8'+ packaging jacks costs to an additional 50%.

Not familiar with Moxon antenna led me to site speaking of 14-14.350 Mc.
What is Mc? Google no help. Other than "fast food frequency pairs".
14.350 Mc. is a very dated way of saying 14.350 MHz. Frequency was commonly specified in Cycles per Second (CPS) until the 1970s or so, when the term Cycles per Second (CPS) was changed to Hertz (Hz). Megacycles per second (MC) became Megahertz.

Frequency was one of the last terms in electricity to be named after a person who was associated with it. Volt = Volta. Current = Ampere. Resistance = Ohm (and Conductance = Mho.

14.350 Mc. is a very dated way of saying 14.350 MHz. Frequency was commonly specified in Cycles per Second (CPS) until the 1970s or so, when the term Cycles per Second (CPS) was changed to Hertz (Hz). Megacycles per second (MC) became Megahertz.

Frequency was one of the last terms in electricity to be named after a person who was associated with it. Volt = Volta. Current = Ampere. Resistance = Ohm (and Conductance = Mho.
Mho as in Larry, Curly, and Mho :) Mho must have been the complicated character.

Thanks for that bit of education.

• Haha
Reactions: NZ8N and Rwb
and Conductance = Mho
I never through I would see anyone referring to the mho in the hobby space... The mho is the inverse of ohm, as conductance is the inverse of resistance.

Mho is literally ohm spelled backwards, but is also referred to as the siemans. There are two symbols used, when referring to it as the mho the resistance symbol (the greek capital Omega) except upside down. When referring to it as the siemans, a capital S is used. The siemans reference is from some German guy's last name, but I don't remember off hand who specifically it was. Strangely, although it is after some guy's name, and the symbol being capital, when spelling out the word itself it is proper to use a lower case s...

Beyond this, there is also susceptance, which is the inverse of reactance, and admittance, the inverse of impedance.

I know these from working with smith charts. That being said, outside of smith charts, I haven't seen them used anywhere in the hobby space, including the more advanced discussions, so you don't have to worry about them to much...

The DB

I know it's a little old but ive seen where usps is now charging extra for boxes over certain sizes. I do all i can to avoid shipping anything large.
  • Parcels that are longer than 22 inches but less than 30 inches will see a $4.00 surcharge.
  • Parcels that exceed 30 inches in length will incur a $15.00 surcharge.
  • Parcels that measure greater than 2 cubic (3456 cubic inches) feet will also see a $15.00 fee added.

Reactions: Holydvr and Rwb
I know it's a little old but ive seen where usps is now charging extra for boxes over certain sizes. I do all i can to avoid shipping anything large.
  • Parcels that are longer than 22 inches but less than 30 inches will see a $4.00 surcharge.
  • Parcels that exceed 30 inches in length will incur a $15.00 surcharge.
  • Parcels that measure greater than 2 cubic (3456 cubic inches) feet will also see a $15.00 fee added.
seem high but see if you can justify the same cost driving your pickup or car cross country for that price to deliver the goods

seem high but see if you can justify the same cost driving your pickup or car cross country for that price to deliver the goods
Apples and oranges. We're not driving 1000 packages at once so the cost comparison isnt valid imo.
The problem for me comes when shipping prices inflate when fuel prices rise but never deflate when fuel prices drop. Seems to me shipping companies are screwing the consumer.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated