• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

short tilting mast

B

BOOTY MONSTER

got my post in the ground for my little 18 ft tilting mast . its a 12 ft treated 4x6 a hair over 2 ft in the ground with 80 lbs of wet concrete . the top is braced to a 2x6 lag bolted to the rafter tails under the soffitt .

IMG_0160.jpg

here's the finished idea .

IMG_0157-1.jpg

theres a 1/2 inch bolt that will go in the bottom a foot off the ground . it will also go through the mast so it can pivot over .

Last edited by a moderator:

thanks for the interest guys . i got a start on it and got the sections drilled for bolting together . i ran out of the real good black duct tape though , i hope to get some more tomorrow . im using it in strips layered along the length of the 1 1/2 conduit to make a nice snug fit by filling in the space between the outside of the 1 1/2 and the inside of the 2 inch . im gonna do a 2 ft overlap with a 5/16 nut , bolt and lock washer in the middle of the overlapping sections . heres a pic of what i got so far .....

IMG_0151-1.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
i got it done , ill put a antenna on it over the weekend .. im tired and its starting to drizzle .

here's the bottom with the 1/2 inch bolt going through the 2 inch pipe and the 3 1/2 inch side of the treated 4x6 .

IMG_0153-1.jpg

here's the bracket that holds it , its 2 of the 2 inch conduit brackets doubled up . i also added a bent rod to hold it in place while im taking the bracket on and off .

IMG_0154-1.jpg

here's a pic of the other side i did 2 holes for the rod for either side

IMG_0155-1.jpg

and here's a view of it from the deck . i angled the hole for the rod/pin down so wouldn't vibrate out

IMG_0156-1.jpg

its seems plenty sturdy for a omni ...... i wouldn't put beams and a rotor with additional mast between them though . i think this would work pretty well with a freestanding 6x6 away from a house also . given the ammount of trees around the house , the deck and power lines on the 100 ft + towers back behind the house i didn't feel that wasn't a option for me ...... i didnt want the tip of the antenna directly under those lines :eek:

When you get the V4k on there, back up and give us a view of the whole thing in one shot if you can...
It's coming along very nicely.

thanks guys . a did a video of it tilting over , but it came out really dark . probably cause it was overcast and on a old digital camera , been raining steady about 45 mins now . yep homer , ill definitely do a far away pic to show the whole setup when its done . the feed-point is gonna be about 19 ft 6 inches , so with 31 1/2 ft of vertical the tip will at 51 ft .

i rent and i'm way too fat to be climbing on the roof :eek:
i also wanted to be able to have easy access to tune and tinker with it .... and possibly other projects in the future :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated