• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Shortwave radio that talks.

Wes765

Aug 3, 2009
Hi, I'm Wes. I'm 18. I guess my interest in shortwave radio began when I read about numbers stations. Those little ice cream truck from hell diddies they play are creepy as all hell. I refuse, and I WILL NOT, I REPEAT WILL NOT listen to those alone. Call me chicken, lol.
Anyway, my point is, I don't have a shortwave radio. I need one that talks. That is, anounces the frequencies and other things. You see, I'm blind. So I would need a shortwave radio that talks. So if any of you know of any shortwave radio that talks, let me know. I also need to know the frequency coverage and if it has SSB support because I am interested in listening to ships, ETC. Thanks.

Well, if you want to listen to ships, you probably want a 'marine band' V H F type radio. AS you are hooking it up to a computer to tell you what frequency you are on, I am not aware of what particular brand or model can do that. I also do not know what software you might need. Maybe someone else that reads this thread knows some more specifics.

See, that's the thing. I was hoping not to use the PC. I think there are some radios that have a built in synthisizer I think? Oh yeah, and I also need to know if I get a model name, if it covers USB mode as well. Thanks.

Hi Wes,

There are several receivers that can be had with an optional "voice module" which announces the frequency. IIRC the Icom R-71 was one. The Kenwood R-5000 might have been another. I'm not up on the newer models but someone else here probably is.

Good luck.

Re: Shortwave radio that talks

Thanks, man. Maybe you could get me that link to that talking thing so I could take a look at it? Thanks! I don't really need the knewer radios, just something that works, ya know. Thanks. Also interested in listening to pirate radio broadcasts. I love those things!!

I think you would be very happy with that radio, except that it cannot receive the marine frequencies you are wanting. An option that will work is to get a ham radio that can also receive around the 2 meter band. Older rigs such as the Icom 746 could be purchased for about the same price as that radio you found and you can still install the UT-102 voice option installed. The Icom 706MKIIG will also work and those are easy to find. Then, since you have a ham radio that can transmit, you can work on getting your ham license and you'll already have something that you can talk on!

That R-75 looks like it would be the ticket if you can get by without VHF.

I have several blind friends who are hams. The thing to avoid is radios with too many menu items. You hit the wrong button and land up in outer space somewhere.

Here's a link to the Kenwood R-5000. The voice module is optional. Voice modules show up on ebay all the time. They also made a VHF module for these that covers the marine band. It might not be easy to find one of those option boards though.

RigPix Database - Kenwood/Trio - R-5000

moleculo, I'll take a look at that one. Thanks man. I've been on several fourms they've all been jerks. But you guys have been nothing but helpfull to me. Thanks!!

Wes, no problem. I think HiDef's comment about the menu system is something to think carefully about. I was thinking the same thing about the Icom 706. It's a mobile type radio which means the menu system may be a little tough for you. Something like an Icom 746 would be much easier to use, I think.

Yeah, I was looking at the manual and I was thinkin, uh uh. Not happening. I looked through the pdf and I couldn't understand half the menu options.
Ok, on the 746,this part really has me confused.
http://www.epcom.net/Products/icom-two-way-radio-ic-746.htm
Says it provides coverage from 30KHZ to 60MHZ. Then it says and 108-177MHZ. Does this mean that it skips the frequencies above 60MHZ to 108MHZ then it covers 108 to 177? Or is it coverage from 30KHZ to 177MHZ? If it skips them, why would it do that? Thanks. I also have a link so you can take a look at what it's saying, maybe you understand it better than I do. Lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was looking at the manual and I was thinkin, uh uh. Not happening. I looked through the pdf and I couldn't understand half the menu options.
Ok, on the 746,this part really has me confused.
Two-Way Radios: ICOM Amateur HF/IC-746
Says it provides coverage from 30KHZ to 60MHZ. Then it says and 108-177MHZ. Does this mean that it skips the frequencies above 60MHZ to 108MHZ then it covers 108 to 177? Or is it coverage from 30KHZ to 177MHZ? If it skips them, why would it do that? Thanks. I also have a link so you can take a look at what it's saying, maybe you understand it better than I do. Lol.

As to "why" they would skip from 60-108MHz, you'd probably have to ask the manufacturer. However, much of that spectrum is the commercial FM broadcast band (88-108). I didn't look at the link, so I don't know if the 746 works on FM on those freqs or not. From 108-177, there's the 2 meter ham band and some Public Service and Emergency stuff if it hasn't been changed to digital.

Have you taken a look at the "Courage Handi-Ham" system? You might be able to find some answers there: http://www.handiham.org/

Yes that rig skips over those frequencies. However, those frequencies are not considered "short wave" frequencies. There are other rigs available that have continuous coverage; you just have to determine what you want.

The big difference between the 746 and the 746pro is that the 746 pro was reworked to included DSP instead of filters in both the transmit and receive sections. I have had both models. You can find the 746 for the same price range you were looking for, but the Pro model is going to cost quite a bit more.

Well, now that I think about it, I don't need that.... I have an FM receiver.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.