• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Should be an easy fix...

guitar_199

Mar 8, 2011
Deer Park, TX
Good morning all. I had actually ... completely forgotten this one.

About 2 years ago.... I put out a cry on my local community FB page..... looking for anyone that had old CB radios that they wanted to part with. Long story short.... my own DAUGHTER IN LAW saw it....and contacted a friend. The next day I had a phone call from a friend of my D-I-L that lives about 10 minutes from me....welcoming me to drive over.

What he had was a "new in the box" Realistic TRC-57... a 23 channel SSB radio. HE used to teach basic electronics in a school system and one of his students gave it to him... told him that it never worked. The guy intended to fix it some years back...but lost interest. When my D-I-L called him..... he said I can just have it.

Smelled all new and everything! HERE is the problem......

when you turn the volume control to power it on.... there is "no click"!!!!

A HA!!!!!! The switch on the back of the pot is bad!!!!!! So I took it down to get to the back of the pot, jumpered across the switch with a cliplead....boom! ON it came! Nice and frisky sounding!

Figuring "this should be EASY to find!".... I clipped the cables right at the lugs on the pot and removed it.

What I was holding in my hand..... was a dual 10K pot with an SPST switch on the back. It is a dual pot...but a single shaft... NOT dual shafts! So it only had one knob....and when you turned it....both pots turned. The shaft is a 1/4 split splined... pretty common.

As it turns out...one is for the radio audio, the other is for PA audio. I thought that was kind of weird...but the SAMS confirmed it. So I went on a search.....and can not find one. I checked Mouser and a number of premium parts suppliers.... no joy. I found several base/mobile radio specialty places...had millions of parts for CB/Ham radios of various kinds...... not this one! Tried on Ebay.... no joy. Amazon.... nope!

Discouraged, I thought.... wonder if I can fix it. The answer....... NO. I guess I just wasn't good enough/patient enough/steady enough....but when I released the switch body from the back of the pot...the thing did a mild explosion......and I could NEVER get it back together again. File THIS ONE in the folder marked...."bit off more than he could chew".

I know this is not a particularly tough problem....but I am soliciting ideas for the best way to "fix" this.

The best would be find a small size (what are they 17mm? 15mm?) dual pot (single shaft) with a switch on the back, wire it in .... and we are done.

I could always just solder the existing pot BACK in and wire the power leads out to a new SPST switch somewhere.

I could always find a single 10K with a switch and wire up only the radio audio to it (would probably never use PA on it anyway!).

I would be interested to hear of any other solutions that might occur to some of you that might be even better than any of my compromised ones.

What do you think?

[EDITED TO ADD]

one more note: I just had the presence of mind to go open the SAMS for it......
VR14 in the parts list... ONLY says 10k. There are no part numbers.... the way all the OTHER pots do!!!!! This one ONLY... has no part numbers.

Got it out and took a couple of pics.

BvVPK4r.jpg

MtbTHk3.jpg

Bob

Last edited:

They use the same control in a lot of their 40 channel mobile units that come from the same time I just replaced one I found in a realistic 40 channel mobile and they have that dual pot/switch in them you might check for 1 of those usually their cheap.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Galaxy uses a similar Pot and switch combo, but it's a dual GANGED control.

upload_2021-1-24_15-21-37.png

So, want to have RF gain, or a Mic gain? Here's your chance!

Cobra 148 - long shot but they may have an idea (even a Clue!)

upload_2021-1-24_15-18-41.png

But either way, if you want to keep the PA control - Galaxy provides the EQUAL value Ganged pot.

But if you don't care for PA can can disable it - Cobras' 148 GTL can make a nice Mic Gain Control add on...

You might want to give this a try. Dual 10K w/ switch, but the shaft is a "D" style. If you CAREFULLY drill out the stock knob it can be made to work. Price is right.
https://www.elliottelectronicsupply...h-switch-spdt-1-4-inch-x-9-16-inch-shaft.html.

twin10k.jpg

"one more note: I just had the presence of mind to go open the SAMS for it......
VR14 in the parts list... ONLY says 10k. There are no part numbers.... the way all the OTHER pots do!!!!! This one ONLY... has no part numbers."

VR 14 and VR6 are ganged together. The part # for VR6 is listed.

I know what you are saying...but I did see that there was plenty of wire left. I didn't shorten it any more than I absolutely had to. There is still plenty of length. I kept it because the inner insulators of the 4 cables.....are color coded as to their function. SO I wanted to keep that in place!

I believe I saw what you are looking for on e bay. Someone was parting out a couple Radio Shack based. You probably should have unsolderedthat instead of clipping it
Sometimes the wires are a bit short.

Thinking back, I may have ordered the crystals for my Royce 1-600 from therm. It was a quick accurate delivery too.

Good old memories from Elliot Electronics in Tucson,Az

Still one of my favorite stores for Electronic Parts and materials plus knowing the owner and his son who runs the store makes shopping easier :D

My 2 Pesos
Andy/Tecnicoloco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.