1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Sir Mix-a-Lot a.k.a Prime Minister

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by Big Kahuna, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Well-Known Member

Talked to him on the bowl many times but saw him perform at a local venue recently and I can say that guy puts on one heck of a fun show. Very down to earth guy.

Even if rap isn’t your thing it’s a fun performance. I lived in Seattle when he hit it big and enjoyed his song references to Sea town.

Not to mention his CB songs :)

https://ibb.co/nLfqS2y

2. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

I don't know how many watts he is putting out but I heard that he has a garage full of diesel generators to run his station....

3. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop Certified Sith Pimp

It’s the man that ya love to hate, coming outta Washington state, cops don’t like my profile cause Mix-a-lot kicks much style...

4. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

Mix is kinda the Chuck Norris of 11m.

It's more antenna and location than anything else. Still I can confirm it can take every bit of a 200A service and a bit more to run the show.

He was 8 miles away in the half power beamwidth of my 18 element halfwave broadside wire array for several years.

5. TheRATT

TheRATT KJ7GKX

I used to play pickup hoops with the real Mix at various area baseball basketball courts. Very cool guy - and he could dunk!

6. kaos513

kaos513 Sr. Member

I heard em on Saturday afternoon he was pinning My needle and I'm in NY !

7. BandEdger

BandEdger New Member

Skip was insane that day here in the northeast, I had my beam pointed at TX but was receiving as far west as CO off the side. Should have checked the NW!!!

kaos513 and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  8. TheRealPorkchop

I’ve always been a fan, have every album he’s put out to my knowledge. I had no idea what the CB references were back then, didn’t know anything about CB as a kid/teen.

All I knew was I was rollin’ with the big Mack, the man with the plan and I knew where his posse was - on Broadway. Or that you could strike a match in his hand and it was too black to tan. And how he was hunting buttermilk biscuits while rolling in an 18 wheeler and looking real swass.

Ok I’ll stop now.

S&W357 and RT431 like this.
  9. RT431

RT431 In the swamp

:ROFLMAO:

10. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

11. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

While there probably won't be enough headroom to modulate that 40 KW carrier to 160 KW PEP, that is where it would want to be at 100% positive modulation. You really can't do that on a 200 amp service. In fact, 40 KW is the maximum power a 200 amp service can provide. Any increase with modulation or more carrier will take a 200 amp breaker down.

The next step at a 400 amp service doesn't really help much either since it's only a pair of 200 amp services with no ability to draw more than 200 on one circuit. Hence the large diesel generator capable of running the station at full power. If it were me, I think it would have been more cost effective to purchase two plate transformers to load both 200 amp panels equally and achieve full power.

#11 Shockwave, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  12. TheRealPorkchop

I have to say I’m jealous of BBi, I’d love to sit in that room with Mix, I’d be like freakin’ Spongebob the whole time though.

30A506CC-5B9C-425C-B116-B2A6C0690199.gif 10E96F6B-5497-491A-A8B1-600EA4A9E9F4.gif

Eldorado828 and 543_Dallas like this.
  13. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

If a person had a 40 kw dead key would they really need to modulate 100%? I have heard that the dead key is what gets you there so maybe 50% is ok. How do the big strappers run? 100% or do they run less?

14. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

Yes, but what they actually do depends on the operator. The same rules apply if you run 4 watts or 40kw. Someone that's made that kind of investment will be more likely to run their stuff properly.

He just ran the carrier up to show what it would do. If he runs it around 10 the pep power is probably between 40 and 50. Just cruising along. It's all about headroom.

A real transmitter and amplifier can deadkey what it swings without any worry of damage. Use a big carrier to tune up the amplifier then back it down enough to reach 100% mod on a scope. That way you can see what the plate and grid current is at max power. No pep meter needed.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  15. Blackcat630

Blackcat630 Sr. Member

Damn son

S&W357 likes this.