• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio 5000pl length

Hilift

Sep 8, 2017
I have a freightliner Columbia that I drive for work most every day. Currently I have a predator 10k mounted on the mirror but am looking for something that I could put on top of the cab. I have heard and read a lot of good things about the sirio 5000 but I am wondering if someone can tell me approximately how long it will tune for 11meters. I want something that works well but that I dont break off in a month. Thanks.

I've read the over all length is 79". About the same as a Wilson 1000, how durable it is I don't know. I don't have any experience with the Sirio antennas.
Maybe someone with experience with the Sirio antennas will chime in.

Reactions: Hilift
I dont post up here much but I have read a lot on the forum. So I know asking for suggestions can open the floodgate of opinions but I still will ask. If someone has something they have used or are using in a limited height application I would be interested in hearing about it.

Hilift , Won't mounting it on top of the cab give you clearance issues ? Sirio is a great antenna , myself I went w/ a Styrker Sra 10a , even this antenna mounted on the roof of my Explorer limits my access to thing as it quite tall ( whip approx. 62" ) . I like the way the Stryker is built but I never try to hit anything w/ it .;):)

That is why I was wondering how tall it is. If it tunes to 80" it will be too tall. There are too many low limbs/power lines/bridges in eastern NC for that to work. I was under the impression it was shorter. I guess back to the drawing board.

Reactions: 357magnum
This is what I have on my other truck. It works well and would like to have something somewhat similar on my freightliner. The problem is height. I had thought about a double coil but I know you lose efficiency with them.
I gave this truck to my employee to run so I am in it very seldom now

Attachments

• 20190205_110656.jpg
    20190205_110656.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20190205_110656.jpg
    20190205_110656.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
I don't mean to hijack the thread but have a somewhat related question... I have a Sirio Turbo 800 Blue mobile antenna (shortest Sirio makes) and was wondering how it would tune if I take the coiled whip off and put it on a Sirio Turbo 5000 stinger which handles much more power? I have a mobile antenna tuner so it's fine if it won't tune perfect...

I don't mean to hijack the thread but have a somewhat related question... I have a Sirio Turbo 800 Blue mobile antenna (shortest Sirio makes) and was wondering how it would tune if I take the coiled whip off and put it on a Sirio Turbo 5000 stinger which handles much more power? I have a mobile antenna tuner so it's fine if it won't tune perfect...
The "stinger" or whip doesn't determine power handling capability the coil does

Blackcat630: you're right, I thought the stinger was referring to the coil but I'm mistaken, that's what I meant, the 5000 does have a bigger copper coil at the base that can handle more watts, I just need to know if I can stick the 3-foot whip that comes with the 800 on the 5000 base and tune it with a tuner...

If you use a fixed mount in the roof and do loads of bonding as per the bonding section at www.k0bg.com you'll find you need to shorten the antenna due to having a really efficient RF ground. I had to cut 3 inches off mine.

I ended up getting the sirio bull trucker. It should tune shorter than the 5000. I thought I would try it and if I dont like it I will try something else

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated