1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Sirio 5000pl length

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Hilift, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Hilift

Hilift Member

I have a freightliner Columbia that I drive for work most every day. Currently I have a predator 10k mounted on the mirror but am looking for something that I could put on top of the cab. I have heard and read a lot of good things about the sirio 5000 but I am wondering if someone can tell me approximately how long it will tune for 11meters. I want something that works well but that I dont break off in a month. Thanks.

2. RT431

RT431 In the swamp

I've read the over all length is 79". About the same as a Wilson 1000, how durable it is I don't know. I don't have any experience with the Sirio antennas.
    Maybe someone with experience with the Sirio antennas will chime in.

Hilift likes this.
  3. Hilift

Hilift Member

I dont post up here much but I have read a lot on the forum. So I know asking for suggestions can open the floodgate of opinions but I still will ask. If someone has something they have used or are using in a limited height application I would be interested in hearing about it.

4. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

The 5000 is tough as a tank . stinger is very heavy.. Hope this helps..

357magnum likes this.
  5. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

Hilift , Won't mounting it on top of the cab give you clearance issues ? Sirio is a great antenna , myself I went w/ a Styrker Sra 10a , even this antenna mounted on the roof of my Explorer limits my access to thing as it quite tall ( whip approx. 62" ) . I like the way the Stryker is built but I never try to hit anything w/ it .;):)

6. Hilift

Hilift Member

That is why I was wondering how tall it is. If it tunes to 80" it will be too tall. There are too many low limbs/power lines/bridges in eastern NC for that to work. I was under the impression it was shorter. I guess back to the drawing board.

357magnum likes this.
  7. Hilift

Hilift Member

This is what I have on my other truck. It works well and would like to have something somewhat similar on my freightliner. The problem is height. I had thought about a double coil but I know you lose efficiency with them.
    I gave this truck to my employee to run so I am in it very seldom now

Attached Files:

undertaker and 357magnum like this.
  8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Sr. Member

It's going to be taller than you want. 77 inches vs 67 inches for the Wilson.

Slowmover, undertaker and 357magnum like this.
  9. Hilift

Hilift Member

357magnum likes this.
  10. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

There's them damn lights again ! Still pissed I didn't get a Pretty Blue light in my Stryker ! :eek:o_O:ROFLMAO:

11. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

If you use a fixed mount in the roof and do loads of bonding as per the bonding section at www.k0bg.com you'll find you need to shorten the antenna due to having a really efficient RF ground. I had to cut 3 inches off mine.

12. DeedleD

DeedleD Member

I don't mean to hijack the thread but have a somewhat related question... I have a Sirio Turbo 800 Blue mobile antenna (shortest Sirio makes) and was wondering how it would tune if I take the coiled whip off and put it on a Sirio Turbo 5000 stinger which handles much more power? I have a mobile antenna tuner so it's fine if it won't tune perfect...

13. Blackcat630

Blackcat630 Sr. Member

The "stinger" or whip doesn't determine power handling capability the coil does

357magnum likes this.
  14. DeedleD

DeedleD Member

Blackcat630: you're right, I thought the stinger was referring to the coil but I'm mistaken, that's what I meant, the 5000 does have a bigger copper coil at the base that can handle more watts, I just need to know if I can stick the 3-foot whip that comes with the 800 on the 5000 base and tune it with a tuner...

15. Hilift

Hilift Member

I ended up getting the sirio bull trucker. It should tune shorter than the 5000. I thought I would try it and if I dont like it I will try something else

357magnum likes this.