1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Sirio 5000pl length

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Hilift, Feb 4, 2019.

1. DeedleD

DeedleD Member

Thanks 357magnum, I've been an amrron member for years, thought it would be appropriate to ident as such... Regarding Sirio, agreed, some don't even bother responding, others take forever but Sirio seems to be on top of it! Quality product and customer service no doubt!

357magnum likes this.

2. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

Deed , These days all about customer service w/ me . Don't get back or late doing it ? No more business from me !:whistle:;):D

undertaker and DeedleD like this.
  3. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Wilson has a short version of the 1000 and 5000 let me see if I can find it.

4. Shadetree Mechanic

Slowmover and DeedleD like this.
  5. DeedleD

DeedleD Member

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  6. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

Hmm. Every time you halve an antenna length because radiation resistance works as a function of the square you decrease the performance by 6dB or 75% so a 39" one is going to transmit and receive a signal probably somewhere around 30% of the strength of a full height one. There are ways around that to increase the efficiency but that is done at the expense of bandwidth so you'd have fewer channels you'd get below 2:1 SWR.

Shadetree Mechanic and Slowmover like this.
  7. DeedleD

DeedleD Member

This definitely seems to be the case. I compared my 3’ Midland antenna with my 5’ Wilson 1000 last night, and Wilson was able to hit the base with 10 pounds vs Midland at 9 pounds from 8 miles away. Furthermore, the SWR remained flat with the taller antenna across the band vs 1.2 midband and 1.5 at the edges with the smaller antenna. With that said, to each their own, but I personally can live with1 s-unit decrease vs a 5-foot tall antenna on the roof of the vehicle hitting everything in sight.

8. Shadetree Mechanic