• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio engineers making antenna's from scrap materials?

nav2010

Sep 5, 2010
When Sirio made their 'Top one' antenna I couldn't help noticing the basket was made from the same materials as the Vector basket but the basket was inverted. It became obvious to me that Sirio was using surplus parts from other antennae to produce new models. Then we get the media hype that comes with it especially with a name like 'Top one'.
It was the best antenna since sliced bread, you've got to have one, it's the bee's knee's bla bla bla.
Then we see the ultimate piss take, an antenna made from surplus coax that nobody wants, the matching section made from the same material and the upright portion probably made from a shit load of glass fibre tube originally intended for some other project but was thrown in a dark corner of the sirio factory for the past 15 years.
The only manufactured part I can see is the round plate where the feed is and the piece of junk they wind the coil on. They probably found those in a locker when some dude retired last year.
As per usual we get the hype, massive db gains, it's the best antenna ever, bla bla bla.
Compared with an Antron or a Imax as far as build quality the GM is a joke. The Antron and Imax has a tuning section which was designed purposely for those Antennae and cost money to develop, the whole chassis at the feed point on an Antron and Imax was the same. the screw in sections of the driven element the same. All this adds up to development costs.
Lets examine the development costs of the GM - 37 Cents.
Jubilee clips? coax? a load of old fibreglass? chassis at bottom of antenna originally designed for the working parts of a drinks dispensor?
I've heard recently that the Sirio factory is due for re-wiring and a new roof and Sirio engineers are looking closely at making antenna's out of the old wiring and old roof supports. They are gonna call it the 'Roofwire special' with gains of 56db exclusively to any idiot that wants to buy it.:blink:

Here is a prime example of what I'm taking about. Here is the Sirio 5000 mobile antenna. Developed and designed to a very decent level with each componant part designed to do a specific job which cost money, time and effort. Enclosed to keep the weather out and the finish job looks excellent.
Then we look at the pathetic effort of the GM. Not enclosed to keep weather out of the coil. Will be interesting when water gets behind the coil, freezes and smashes it to bits.
Absolutely no comparison. This is what happens when you get time, effort and money in comparison to a thrown together piss take.

Attachments

• sirio.jpg
    sirio.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 163
  • gain master-500x500.jpg
    gain master-500x500.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 163
When Sirio made their 'Top one' antenna I couldn't help noticing the basket was made from the same materials as the Vector basket but the basket was inverted. It became obvious to me that Sirio was using surplus parts from other antennae to produce new models. Then we get the media hype that comes with it especially with a name like 'Top one'.
It was the best antenna since sliced bread, you've got to have one, it's the bee's knee's bla bla bla.
Then we see the ultimate piss take, an antenna made from surplus coax that nobody wants, the matching section made from the same material and the upright portion probably made from a shit load of glass fibre tube originally intended for some other project but was thrown in a dark corner of the sirio factory for the past 15 years.
The only manufactured part I can see is the round plate where the feed is and the piece of junk they wind the coil on. They probably found those in a locker when some dude retired last year.
As per usual we get the hype, massive db gains, it's the best antenna ever, bla bla bla.
Compared with an Antron or a Imax as far as build quality the GM is a joke. The Antron and Imax has a tuning section which was designed purposely for those Antennae and cost money to develop, the whole chassis at the feed point on an Antron and Imax was the same. the screw in sections of the driven element the same. All this adds up to development costs.
Jubilee clips? coax? a load of old fibreglass? chassis at bottom of antenna originally designed for the working parts of a drinks dispensor?
I've heard recently that the Sirio factory is due for re-wiring and a new roof and Sirio engineers are looking closely at making antenna's out of the old wiring and old roof supports. They are gonna call it the 'Roofwire special' with gains of 56db exclusively to any idiot that wants to buy it.:blink:

i dont think your being fair at all. i had a imax and it splintered after only 4 years and the swrs went threw the roof and i didnt need to tune the sirio so who needs them rings

Last edited:
Here is a prime example of what I'm taking about. Here is the Sirio 5000 mobile antenna. Developed and designed to a very decent level with each componant part designed to do a specific job which cost money, time and effort. Enclosed to keep the weather out and the finish job looks excellent.
Then we look at the pathetic effort of the GM. Not enclosed to keep weather out of the coil. Will be interesting when water gets behind the coil, freezes and smashes it to bits.
Absolutely no comparison. This is what happens when you get time, effort and money in comparison to a thrown together piss take.
i agree about it being lighter duty then a $400 i10k but it performs just as well and all i did was tape it up and cover the coil with tape to.
it sure works like a $1000 antena

the technical term for the coil on the gainmaster is air wound rf choke, the word air is a clue its not meant to be weather proofed.;)

at the moment when it comes to off the shelf antennas in europe, sirio are way ahead of the competition, i think you'll find if anyone used scrap parts for r+d it was avanti back when they first designed the sigma 4/ astroplane, seeing as sirio have only copied and tried to improve on those designs its a bit harsh to say they use scrap parts, i couldn't imagine anyone accusing avanti of that.

Unfortunately your comments are based entirely on opinion and have little accuracy. Had you seen their anechoic chamber, test range, machine room, stock room, and production lines you would know anytime they need a part, they make it on site. With respect to gain claims, there is not another 11 meter antenna manufacturer that is more honest with specifications then Sirio. If you're interested I can post some pictures of their factory here. It would be hard to maintain the same opinion after seeing how well equipped they really are.

Now if anyone wants to accuse me of making antennas from junk parts . . .:LOL:[/QUOTE]

I accuse you of being a radio nut. (y)

You also stand accused of thinking outside the box, trying things that shouldn't work and just having fun and enjoying your chosen hobby in general.

How do you plead before we march you before the firing squad? :LOL:

this couldnt be anymore wrong. first the a99 /imax are nothing more than a bare copper
wrapped in fiberglass.there solidering inside are done by beginners by what ive seen
of them tore apasrt.and worst of all they tend to bleed into steros, tvs ect .
the gain master has a built in choke to reduce thkis problem something solarcon
never thoght of or attempted.while sirio might use some of the same parts
for their base antennas how does that make it junk.i

Unfortunately your comments are based entirely on opinion and have little accuracy. Had you seen their anechoic chamber, test range, machine room, stock room, and production lines you would know anytime they need a part, they make it on site. With respect to gain claims, there is not another 11 meter antenna manufacturer that is more honest with specifications then Sirio. If you're interested I can post some pictures of their factory here. It would be hard to maintain the same opinion after seeing how well equipped they really are.
I don't care if they have a anechoic chamber, thats besides the point. A child could have designed a better looking more practical antenna. They have spent absolutely no time and effort on the coil section to make it either weather proof or pleasing to the eye. George, I know what the coil does but the weather don't care when water seeps behind it, freezes and knackers it up.
I plastic sealed cover over the top of it wouldn't go a miss but that can't happen because it would mean the total production cost of each antenna will go to $1 instead of 85 Cents.
Anyway George, seeing as you are the Antron anti christ, a Ford Cortina exhaust strapped to the mounting pole will suffice for you.:whistle:
...Oh yes Mack, get back to the white lines.:love:

I don't care if they have a anechoic chamber, thats besides the point.

Means, I don't care if they spent a million dollars to produce accurate results.

A child could have designed a better looking more practical antenna.

Hilarious! Should we call in a decorator to improve the appearance to your likings? What is your definition of practical?

They have spent absolutely no time and effort on the coil section to make it either weather proof or pleasing to the eye.

Absolutely no time is required to weather proof an insulated open air RF choke. It is not a matching coil and none of the rain, snow or ice we had this winter affected its performance in the least.

George, I know what the coil does but the weather don't care when water seeps behind it, freezes and knackers it up.

Apparently you don't know what the coil does or what can or cannot affect it. You could have a walk in freezer, all the water you wanted and you still couldn't damage the coil with ice alone.

I plastic sealed cover over the top of it wouldn't go a miss but that can't happen because it would mean the total production cost of each antenna will go to $1 instead of 85 Cents.
Anyway George, seeing as you are the Antron anti christ, a Ford Cortina exhaust strapped to the mounting pole will suffice for you.:whistle:
...Oh yes Mack, get back to the white lines.:love:

More knowledge on the topic before giving an opinion could be useful.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.