• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio Vector 4000

Hairball

May 19, 2020
Indiana
For those that are familiar with the 4000, how far away from metal objects does the antenna need to be? The 4000 is up at 31' at the feed point. I have a metel weather vane about 12' below and to the side of the Vector. I have read that the Vector don't play well with other antennas, metal, etc. SWR's are respectable at 1.2-1.3. The antenna is quieter with static than my Gainmaster and is as good on rx and reports are about a 1S reading better on tx. The Gainmaster is up at 40' at the feed point.

For those that are familiar with the 4000, how far away from metal objects does the antenna need to be? The 4000 is up at 31' at the feed point. I have a metel weather vane about 12' below and to the side of the Vector. I have read that the Vector don't play well with other antennas, metal, etc. SWR's are respectable at 1.2-1.3. The antenna is quieter with static than my Gainmaster and is as good on rx and reports are about a 1S reading better on tx. The Gainmaster is up at 40' at the feed point.
Good luck, I'm on my 3rd one near the windy city Chicago. I just keep fixing and replacing it as needed because in real world testing the only omni antenna that has given it a run for the money is the super penetrators. People can do the fancy math and wave propagation and radiation angles and what not but I purely going off real world performance. I did replace the gamma with the 10kw one. great antenna just wish they were a little stronger.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I'm only guessing there are 7 +/- segments on this 3/4 λ aluminum antenna. Each segment link is a weak point, correct?
What category is this antenna, mono, or dipole?

And what is that gizmo at the top of the antenna; what is it's reference name and purpose? I'm guessing its a "Ooh, Ooh, that's special!" gizmo?

Last edited:
I have not used one of these yet but have a had a new one sitting in my storage room for some time, will use it someday. This is a quote from K2XLG on Eham.net to modify the vector for better strength.

"Like a few others here,I used this during my 11 meter days. It would put a signal where other antennas couldn't. This antenna features a very low angle of radiation,which is what it's all about with a vertical.I'd give it a 5 but the mechanical construction of the main element needs some modification.The dealer I purchased this from gave me simple directions that would make a huge difference in durability.At the upper end of each piece of the vertical,cut slits in a cross pattern that extend about 2 inches down. Then place stainless steel hose clamps near the top of the slits and tighten.Use 2 clamps at each position with one right under the other.You'll need to find clamps of several different sizes,as the vertical tubing changes size from about 1/2 inch to almost 2 1/2 inches.This really reinforces that piece and helps it handle wind. I had 2 of these in about a 1 year period and they really work. I can remember watching one dancing in the winter winds and seeing the upper half perpendicular to the lower half...and then go right back to vertical."

If this makes sense to anyone.

Reactions: Wire Weasel
I'm only guessing there are 7 +/- segments on this 3/4 λ aluminum antenna. Each segment link is a weak point, correct?
What category is this antenna, mono, or dipole?

And what is that gizmo at the top of the antenna; what is it's reference name and purpose? I'm guessing its a "Ooh, Ooh, that's special!" gizmo?
The gizmo is the "anti-static ball" I have not had a failure where segments connect but rather the top whip bending. The 1st time it came down was my fault because the mast broke, it was to thin. Water pipe schedule 40 fixed that problem.

Per instructions:
3/4 Coaxial J-pole: Gain 2 dBd, 4.15 dBi although that is for the NEW vector4k. I think the 1st runs were 7/8 wave and later adjusted to 3/4 to improve gain.

Attachments

• vector4k.jpg
    vector4k.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reactions: TIN_CAN
I have not used one of these yet but have a had a new one sitting in my storage room for some time, will use it someday. This is a quote from K2XLG on Eham.net to modify the vector for better strength.

"Like a few others here,I used this during my 11 meter days. It would put a signal where other antennas couldn't. This antenna features a very low angle of radiation,which is what it's all about with a vertical.I'd give it a 5 but the mechanical construction of the main element needs some modification.The dealer I purchased this from gave me simple directions that would make a huge difference in durability.At the upper end of each piece of the vertical,cut slits in a cross pattern that extend about 2 inches down. Then place stainless steel hose clamps near the top of the slits and tighten.Use 2 clamps at each position with one right under the other.You'll need to find clamps of several different sizes,as the vertical tubing changes size from about 1/2 inch to almost 2 1/2 inches.This really reinforces that piece and helps it handle wind. I had 2 of these in about a 1 year period and they really work. I can remember watching one dancing in the winter winds and seeing the upper half perpendicular to the lower half...and then go right back to vertical."

If this makes sense to anyone.
I have the hose clamps on mine works great, it's been up for several years now.

I have been reading thru the long thread on the Vector referenced by AudioShockwav. I think I have confused myself. Can swr be adjusted by moving the gamma match rod in and out, or by moving the tip in and out? It seems to have been referenced both ways.

Thank you Jeff. I set the antenna measurements for 11 meters. I wanted to see if I could fine tune the swr's. I believe I read somewhere to shorten the antenna you move the gamma rod out and to lenghten the antenna you push the rod in? Thanks again for your help.

The length is determined by the target frequency and the gamma matches the antenna.
It's like my Intercepter 10k.
Jay gives you the length to set it to for the frequency that you want, then you adjust SWR with trombone section on the bottom.
That is the matching section.

Jeff

Jeff, thanks again for your help. Adjusted the trombone section of the bottom. Super simple and really dialed the swr's in. Moving the rod out shortened the antenna and brought the swr's down even further. Thanks, Harry

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated