• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Siro 5000 vs Wilson 1000... The results

well let's see....there are lot of people out there that have tried them, many of them long time wilson 5000 and 1000 users. and every one of them that have"actually" put it up and used it are very happy with them. and for them to outright notice a difference there has to be something about them that makes them better..

by the sound of your post you have "0" experence with these antennas.

have you done any comparasin for yourself? i would have to say no.

have a problem with foreign imports?....by this i would have to assume that you also have a problem with just about everything, as just about everything in this country made up mostly of foreign components and or completely foreign. it just a fact of life anymore. get over it. i used to be hung up on the "made in the usa" B.S. too, dosen't do you any good.

as far as antennas go, and most other things..... you go with what works.

I bought a RM Z-180 in an H&Y package deal which is the same thing as a Sirio. It was a magnet mount and I hit a small branch about 3/4 up on the whip and it fell off and scatched the hell out of a brand new F150. You are correct, I have no experience with it's performance because after it came off so easily, it went in the trash.
One thing...it matched in OK but not as good as the Wilson 5000.
By your attitude it's obvious you have no experience with the Wilson 1000/5000 antennas......pot calling the kettle black.
If you read my previous post as soon as my buddy gets his from H&Y, we'll do a comparison.
Wilson 5000 mag vs Sirio 5000 mag.
I have no reason to lie or be biased, I am running a 8' Francis whip on the tool box.
Let's just play nice, OK.
Maybe I am a worthless dumbass for wanting to use American products, you act like it's wrong to buy American.........let me be wrong then. I would rather pay $120 for Made in USA New Balance sneakers than Made in China sneakers for $60 to support the Chinese economy any day of the week.
I am a Bad American.

"By your attitude it's obvious you have no experience with the Wilson 1000/5000 antennas......pot calling the kettle black."

here we go again...someone else that dosen't read things all the way through. i am a long time wilson user, i swore by them for a very long time....almost ten years,

if you read all of my posts you would have seen this. and in retrospect by your attitude, it would seem that you have a habbit of offering your opinion without having anything to back it up!

do your reserch....educate yourself......and then post.

"Maybe I am a worthless dumbass for wanting to use American products, you act like it's wrong to buy American.........let me be wrong then. I would rather pay $120 for Made in USA New Balance sneakers than Made in China sneakers for $60 to support the Chinese economy any day of the week.
I am a Bad American."

nobody is calling you dumb, or worthless. or a bad American. and there is nothing wrong with buying american, Hell i am probably one of the most patriotic Americans that there is......

but i am not in the habbit of wasting my money either. i guess that you haven't realized that there is very little of anything Quality made in the states...on second thought anything made anywhere for that matter. my point is when you find something that works in this day and age you tend to stick by it...i don't care if it was made in china, vietnam, korea, or by little green aliens from a far away world.

I am running a 8' Francis whip on the tool box.QUOTE]

When and if my wilson 5k dies (of which right now I don't see that for a long time-with the service it's given me thus far), I think I will go to the 8 foot francis, i have couple of these NOS.

psycho, how is the receive on those?

OK just ordered it from H&Y. $63 + shipping. let's see how it works out. I hope it will tune better than the wilson did, that thing always gave me a hard time tuning.

Anyway I saw there's the P5000 and the Turbo P5000. the Turbo was around $5 less. What's the differences between these two antennas?

Siro.jpg

The P5000 has a lever that is used to let you lay the antenna flat. I think that's the difference. When the Tech checked the Antenna match it was a good as he could get it and so no adjustment was made.

You say the Sirio antenna flat out outperforms the Wilson because you think it hears better? Have fun with that heavy antenna and pray that it doesn't come off if you get a magnet mount.
Foreign antennas are not welcome on my vehicles.
BTW a local who read this forum is buying a Sirio 5000 mag mount to see if any of the claims here are truthful, he is running a Wilson 5000 mag mount now. Let you know in a few days.

So what does this sound like?

My Siro 5000 is a better antenna than my Wilson 1000.

There is no way you can prove me wrong or right. But saying my findings are a lie shows a lack of class.

When it comes to your vehicle ... check out how many foreign parts are installed on it or do you think its 100% American?

Enough said...

Reactions: 3 people
I think that for a mobile antenna, anything shorter that a 1/4 wave whip is still as compromise.

What the Wilson 1000 and the Sirio 5000 share in common is that they both have nearly the same amount of db loss in their matching coil section. That is where the Predator 10k antenna shines a bit; being that it is center-loaded and doesn't have the same amount of loss as a base load does (small difference).

What is better between the Sirio 5000 and the Wilson 1000 is that the Sirio 5000 has a ~12 inch longer radiator than the Wilson 1000 does. Now; how much better does that make the Sirio than the Wilson? A bit better receive capture and a bit more radiating when transmitting. Is the difference proportional due to the difference in the length? That is the only real difference and the real question - IMO.

It would have to be better; but still not as efficient as the 1/4 wave whip. If a 1/4 wave whip has no gain (they have 'unity' or '1 to 1 gain' IIRC); then anything less certainly will have no gain. Just logical.

Last edited:
I think that for a mobile antenna, anything shorter that a 1/4 whip is still as compromise.

What the Wilson 1000 and the Sirio 5000 share in common is that they both have nearly the same amount of db loss in their matching coil section. That is where the Predator 10k antenna shines a bit; being that it is center-loaded and doesn't have the same amount of loss as a base load does (small difference).

What is better between the Sirio 5000 and the Wilson 1000 is that the Sirio 5000 has ~12 inches longer radiator than the Wilson 1000. Now; how much better does that make the Sirio than the Wilson? A bit better receive capture and a bit more radiating when transmitting. Is the difference proportional due to the difference in the length? That is the only real difference and the real question - IMO.

It would have to be better; but still not as efficient as the 1/4 whip. If a 1/4 whip has no gain (they have 'unity' or '1 to 1 gain' IIRC); then anything less certainly will have no gain. Just logical.

you are correct. however, when xmitting at a distance it becomes all the difference between "being heard" and not "being heard".

You say the Sirio antenna flat out outperforms the Wilson because you think it hears better? Have fun with that heavy antenna and pray that it doesn't come off if you get a magnet mount.
Foreign antennas are not welcome on my vehicles.
BTW a local who read this forum is buying a Sirio 5000 mag mount to see if any of the claims here are truthful, he is running a Wilson 5000 mag mount now. Let you know in a few days.

have a problem with foreign imports?....by this i would have to assume that you also have a problem with just about everything, as just about everything in this country made up mostly of foreign components and or completely foreign. it just a fact of life anymore. get over it. i used to be hung up on the "made in the usa" B.S. too, dosen't do you any good.

as far as antennas go, and most other things..... you go with what works.

Oh the irony, he probably wraps himself in a made in Hong Kong Stars and Stripes. pmsl, although knowing Psycho i might be wrong, his is probably made in Mexico.;)

As for going with what works, who gives a fuck where its made or even by who its made, as long as it works well at reasonable cost and it gives you good lasting service,

So what does this sound like?

My Siro 5000 is a better antenna than my Wilson 1000.

There is no way you can prove me wrong or right. But saying my findings are a lie shows a lack of class.

When it comes to your vehicle ... check out how many foreign parts are installed on it or do you think its 100% American?

Enough said...

His narrowmindedness and ignorance show in every post he makes, if you want to understand why he thinks others on here lie, look up psychological projection, it goes hand in hand with most of his other traits, ironically most of them are found as qualifying traits under dsm 1v correlating to his username on here.

Lacking class, now i can agree with you there 70cst, if you seen the pm he recently sent me concerning slagging off other forums, you would quickly realise why i realise that lacking class is 100% accurate and you deffo ain't lying on that one. i would post it on here and my reply, but i ain't in the business of humiliating people, maybe he will:pop::pop:

Maybe I am a worthless dumbass for wanting to use American products, you act like it's wrong to buy American.........let me be wrong then. I would rather pay $120 for Made in USA New Balance sneakers than Made in China sneakers for $60 to support the Chinese economy any day of the week.
I am a Bad American.

75% of New Balance products are made in China and Vietnam, the other 25% in the UK and USA.

So even if you buy American made ones, you are still supporting a company that supports the Chinese economy, you might be better off sneaking across the border into your beloved Mexico and picking up a few counterfeit pairs, might save you a few dollars;):pop:

my sirio z180 clearly outclassed my following antennas
wilson 1000/500 mag mount
k40 mag mount
radio shack 62 inch mag mount
anttron 1700 mag mount
only my monkey made mm9 could keep up with it.

Reactions: 2 people
H&Y shipped my Sirio 5k yesterday. Hope to get it Monday. Meanwhile i got the car ready for the trip. Did some preliminary tuning with the wilson in the meanwhile.

Radio: General Grant with 50w dk.
Antenna: wilson 5k trunk lip mounted.
Vehicle: 2012 Altima 3.5SR Coupe

The best swr i could achieve was 1.6-1.7
I am hoping the Sirio tunes in a little better.

I couldnt get any radio checks because the locals werent out.

Will post More results as they come in.

Not much of a review I know, but thought to share what i found so far

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.