• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Siro 5000 vs Wilson 1000... The results

well if ya wanna do the trunk mounk mounted antenna then only something like a 55r4
10k ,ect type will only tune in. cause theres load is above the roofline.id also still ditch
the trunk lip and get a tri pad with 3 magnets. might get a better ground.

that may help. however, he may still end up having to ground strap that trunk lid to the rest of the vehicle.

Actually, I knew that. I was being sarcastic; sorry. But here's the deal. You are trying to make it work the way that you want and expect and not being serious about what the antenna needs to operate. Having said that, you may have to forget about having a radio in this car. That is, unless you are willing to compromise where you want the antenna mounted. It might be that even the roof isn't going to be enough when using a mag mount - either . . .

You are 100% correct. First off let me say that I pretty much got out of radios for the most part. I had all the garbage at one time. 55 on the tri-mag on the roof. Ran a motor maul for the 8 pill, had the 1x2 in front of it, couple of batteries in the trunk, blah blah...

Got tired of the whole thing and made the startling revelation that it's pretty much the first 100 watts that gets you out of the swamp; never mind all the extra power--bullshit for local talking. a 2 pill is plenty to get over the noise and there's no appreciable difference between running a 2 pill vs. a 2x8 for talking locally. I've done the tests.

As you can see when you pulled the pic of the car, I clearly didn't have CB in mind when I got it! Went through hell trying to find one of these cars in 2 doors, with the v-6 AND a 6 speed manual...so it's my toy LOL!

It was a great stretch for me to even put a radio in this car but I figured I have a long ride coming up and it might be useful. I also fully agree that even a tri-mag on the roof won't see sufficient metal to be that great a ground.

If we can't get the P5000 to tune in to my car I suppose I'll sell it. There'll be no use for me to have it. We will see. Thank you for the good conversation Robb

Reactions: 1 person
Bonding that trunk lid to the rest of the vehicle's body certainly can't hurt. It isn't a 'given' that it'll be "grounded" on most of the newer cars. Of course, then you get to re-tune that antenna since it's environment has changed. Sounds about normal...
- 'Doc

perhaps you could ground that trunk lid at some "unseen" place? maybe on the hinge brackets up under the rear deck? this might help solve some of your problem.

Did that with the old altima to no avail. I bonded everything and it made no difference. I just have to live with it evidently

Bonding that trunk lid to the rest of the vehicle's body certainly can't hurt. It isn't a 'given' that it'll be "grounded" on most of the newer cars. Of course, then you get to re-tune that antenna since it's environment has changed. Sounds about normal...
- 'Doc

Some of the newer cars have fiberglass trunk lids.

Some of the newer cars have fiberglass trunk lids.

Very true. I remember the Mustangs of around 2003 were fiberglass trunk decks.

What I have been seeing is a lot lately in new cars is much more epoxies and resins being used and far less welding.

Just for a goof I checked a bolt on the trunk deck and a seat belt bolt with the continuity meter and saw that there was in fact continuity. So I know that there is a connection between the trunk deck and the frame. I believe Robb to be correct in saying that there simply isn't enough surface area on the trunk lid itself to make the antennas happy

Years ago, I used to play a bit with auto body repair. One trick I would use, is getting a magnet out of an old kitchen mitt. Just put it on different spots on the body to see if there was any bondo/body work done. This weak magnet wouldn't stick to areas that had any bondo ('plastic body filler') on it. You can use a magnet to be sure that there is actual sheet metal on the rest of the car. This will help sort out what you can depend on to work. Just a thought. . .

What I have been seeing is a lot lately in new cars is much more epoxies and resins being used and far less welding.

Just for a goof I checked a bolt on the trunk deck and a seat belt bolt with the continuity meter and saw that there was in fact continuity. So I know that there is a connection between the trunk deck and the frame. I believe Robb to be correct in saying that there simply isn't enough surface area on the trunk lid itself to make the antennas happy

one last suggestion i got .and it doesnt cost alot. try a wilson silverload [non flexable one]
its top loaded so it will be above your roofline. the 5 ft one works great. there around 20.00
bucks and a single 5 inch magnet should hold it.and being you did the continuity test
seems you have ground although a few staps wouldnt hurt. or just run the 55r4.sorry but im not sure a base loaded antenna on the trunk is gonna work the way you want it too.
i could be wrong but this is jmho

there is a big difference between just having a dc or continuity ground and a good RF ground.

What the continuity check is telling you is there is a DC ground between those two points, which is not the same thing as an RF ground at 27 Mhz. I would definitely run a ground straps, and even then for a trunk lid it is often not enough, especially if you are planning on running any kind of power. Also once you get to that point it doesn't take much to do the rest of your car.

The DB

You say the Sirio antenna flat out outperforms the Wilson because you think it hears better? Have fun with that heavy antenna and pray that it doesn't come off if you get a magnet mount.

A sirio 5000 is a heavy antenna? :LOL:

My Little Tarheel II is a heavy antenna.

FWIW I've had a Sirio with a Sirio magmount for several years and its happily done 80+MPH into a strong headwind with no issues. Never moved even a millimeter and it also hits four trees at least once a day.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.