• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Siro 5000 vs Wilson 1000... The results

Hey Charlie, does that ground plane kit really do anything? Just asking because I see quite a few mobiles using them especially with Wilsons. I have heard critics say they are just a gimmick. But since you run it, what are your findings with the gpk vs. without it?

The ground plane is the metal on the vehicle or am I missing something? That ground plane kit would make a pretty good Kung Fu weapon though.

Reactions: 1 person
Hey Charlie, does that ground plane kit really do anything? Just asking because I see quite a few mobiles using them especially with Wilsons. I have heard critics say they are just a gimmick. But since you run it, what are your findings with the gpk vs. without it?

Yes. In my install it does make a difference. I believe these things were sold by wilson? This one was given to me. When i initially installed the antenna I saw a vast improvement from the wilson and when I was trying different mounts before drilling my roof one of the mounts still had this GP on it. When I was testing the mount I realized that this GP made a slight difference over not having it. It seemed to quiet a lot of ground noise and definitely seemed to with out a doubt quiet the radio down. I can hear dude!! Now a far as TX I really havent tested that. It did however raise the height of the antenna along with the mount a few more inches above the car. If nothing else.

Bonding

in this article

Ground Plane Notes

He mentions getting the antenna as high above the vehicle as possible. Well if nothing else the mount and the GP got the antenna up higher so yes i'd say its an improvement!

Remember, the best vehicle in the world, is still an inadequate ground plane at HF and low VHF frequencies. Thus, the reasoning behind placing the antenna as high as possible on the vehicle, is an attempt to cause as much RF current to flow through the body, rather than the very lossy surface under the vehicle. When you consider the difference between low, and mid-position mounting, averages ≈6 dB (about what you'd get by adding a 500 watt amplifier), it behooves operators to think about their choice of mounting positions. It should be noted that the affect will be evident in both transmit, and receive! However, this fact should not be construed as support for mounting an antenna atop a long (tall) post!

... besides. It's connected in the wrong place for a 'groundplane' in most cases.
- 'Doc

your thinking of the 3/8" type groundplanes that look similar but have no connection to the coax shield, whereas that type is connected to the shield, via the outer conductor of its built in so239/pl259 fittings.

so it is connected in the right place but whether it makes any difference, now that's a debate that could rage on for ever, i personally have used a sirio hp4000 for months with and for months without the groundplane kit and noticed absolutely no difference, but it looks ok if your into unsightly antennas, lol.

might (thats a big might) serve more purpose on a 2m/70cm antenna where the radials would be a bigger percentage of a wavelength than they are on 11m, which no doubt is what it was originally designed for.

You're right, it does nothing other than empty the wallets of the gullible.

The antenna has a groundplane - the one the mount is attached to. Those things do absolutely nothing because the RF flows over the path of least resistance - the great hulking sheet of metal which makes up the roof of the vehicle.

Those radials are almost too short to be even of any use at VHF.

Well to start with the GP was free. and I see why you are a junior member. You obviously have some reading to do, and if you would spend a lil more time learning instead assuming my wallet is empty and I am gullible you realize that you arent quiet as smart as you think you are. :pop: You dont know it all if you did you surely wouldnt have time to be here.

KØBG.COM

No the vehicle body is not the ground plane. Read this.

Bonding

and yes it does make a difference.

Can you explain how you noticed a difference? If it is on dx then maybe not so much merit for my point of view. Other wise your experience may serve some purpose if we could understand it-perhaps.

Also what is it in the k0bg article you are specifically referencing? I understand his points on bonding and capacitance to ground and his point at the very end on more bonding equating to more ground radials,,,but are you saying that the extra one inch in height that the after market ground plane radial is providing is making the difference?

just trying to get at your point and how you noticed the "difference"...thanks in advance.

Please elaborate? I have never seen any two cases of mobile instillation that were the same unless they were identical vehicles? Have you?:D

The groundplane is connected to the shield of the co-ax. The shield is connected to the mount bolted to the roof, therefore the roof is the ground, not this wallet emptying useless lump of metal with spikes sticking out of it.

If you connect the braid to that instead of the socket, you raise the connection above the actual ground, the roof, and increase antenna losses thus making it work worse.

But hey, its CB and most of you believe in the marketing BS so who am I, a mere worldwide contest winning full licence holding amateur, to tell you? I know nowt.

Charlie Brown,
It's in the wrong place, it's above the insulator so can't be part of the "ground" or a 'groundplane'. Since it's above that insulator, it could be called a capacity hat. It's not in the best of places even for a capacity hat, and it isn't the most affective shape, but it could fit that definition.
The only thing I could say that thingy would be good for would be for changing the tuning of the antenna. That change might be beneficial, but probably not. It has more of a 'cosmetic' affect than anything else. If that's what you are after then have at it! Otherwise, as that 'UK' guy says... save your money. :)
- 'Doc

Hey Doc, I am posting this JUST to clarify the mounting of the device pictured, With that device Jazz is correct.
The one that you are looking at is not the one`s that have a 3/8-24 thread on them and simply screw onto the top of a "hot" mount.
I know what you are talking about, and have seen them, this one is a bit different.
Go look here:
Wilson Ground Plane Kit for Wilson 1000 or Wilson 5000
When used with the correct mount it is connected to the shield/ground of the Coax....If you mouse over the top picture it will Zoom.
It has a SO-239 Connection.
I do agree with Jazz on his statement below.

so it is connected in the right place but whether it makes any difference, now that's a debate that could rage on for ever,

Jeff

Last edited:
Charlie Brown,
It's in the wrong place, it's above the insulator so can't be part of the "ground" or a 'groundplane'. Since it's above that insulator, it could be called a capacity hat. It's not in the best of places even for a capacity hat, and it isn't the most affective shape, but it could fit that definition.
The only thing I could say that thingy would be good for would be for changing the tuning of the antenna. That change might be beneficial, but probably not. It has more of a 'cosmetic' affect than anything else. If that's what you are after then have at it! Otherwise, as that 'UK' guy says... save your money. :)
- 'Doc

how is it in the wrong place? its exactly where any radials would be positioned,its connected to the shield, therefore forms part of the grounding system, albeit it probably has very very little effect on things due to lack of size.

you are still thinking its a 3/8" style gp kit, which it isn't.therefore the ground/shield connection runs up through the middle and past the insulator as it does in any s0239 mount.

i'm surprised M0GVZ knows so much about antenna plugs/sockets/mounts with dual connectors, wasn't that long back he tried to convince me and the whole of transmission 1 forum in the uk that rf only travelled on the centre conductor in one direction with no return current flow on inner/outer of shield, totally defying the laws of physics, but in Conor world anything is possible.

please bring back AM POWER, together with Conor, the cb dark side will be complete and bullshit can flow to the max.

Serveral of you keep missing the 3 simple points. It was free, it raised the total height of the antenna above the car, and it works in my particular situation. I Would tend to agree with Audio Shock Wave & Jazz Singer. Even in the links I provided it says that the more ground plane radials the better. It is hooked to the ground of the coax. It's kinda like a barrell connector with legs.

I happen to be one person who thinks that there can be too much counterpoise, i don't know if it applies to your situation...

there still has been no testing done here to give us a personal experience that in "this case" one antenna out performed another.

we are still looking at a subjective evaluation.

don't get me wrong I am looking for an edge too, but it has to be for the right reason...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.