• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Skipper 300 blown

Van Lifeson

Aug 11, 2018
Was talking on a skipper 300 the other night when all of a sudden I heard a loud clunk. Amplifier has no output. I think the transformer may have blew a winding? What do you all think? Thank you

I have 260 volts out of the transformer. The schematic says 350 I believe. Is this ok?

No. The schematic shows 700 Vdc after being rectified and filtered.
Since this amp uses a half-wave doubler rectifier, that would work out roughly from 260Vac from one secondary to 728Vdc. (260*2.8RMS=728)

Check rectifiers and filter capacitors.

David

P.S.
Schematic based on 117Vac input.

And why do people who could work sit around and collect welfare that I pay for?
One of the many age old questions lol.

If the two large filter capacitors are original, they should have been replaced decades ago. They weren't meant to last 20 years, let alone 40-plus.

The 'clunk' suggests that the rectifier diodes experienced a significant current surge before the fuse tripped. We always replace the rectifiers along with the filter caps. The old ones might be good. A shorted rectifier can pop your shiny new filter caps in the blink of an eye.

We adopted the policy of ALWAYS replacing rectifier diodes along with the filter caps. Cheap insurance. Cheaper than that second pair of filter caps when the first pair gets assassinated by a damaged rectifier diode.

Reactions: Tokin and Dmans

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated