• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Snake Radio Customs calls out Mike's Radio Repair LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mail-in repairs?

Not as a rule. I have in the past during the slow season, July through September some years.

But what seems to happen is that the customer keeps saying he'll send the unit in question, puts it off.

Puts it off.

Finally gets around to shipping the thing some time around October when the traffic gets heavy again. Of course, now he's in a hurry and the backlog has crept back up to a month or more. Murphy's Law, I guess.

Just don't have the space for it.

Gotta figure that the 'carry-in' trade will drop off sooner or later and I'll have to revise my policy. Maybe around the time I haul a few truckloads of junk out of the building and make room for all the shipping cartons that pile up while stuff gets fixed.

But for now, we don't solicit repair work shipped in.

Thanks for asking and 73.

Thanks for the response.

Old topic but I will say that Mikes videos have helped me a greatly in repairing a few of my personal radios, he shows little tips and things to look for that only come from years of experience and that's what I really appreciate. He doesn't have to go to all the time and effort to put out these videos but he does and that's a rare thing these days.

Well, seeing as how I don't do repairs for money, I shouldn't talk about things I'm not experienced in.
As a generalization, when people go into business they want to make money. That's not to say they wouldn't be interested in helping another man.

I agree 100% with you on Mike's ethic, he's a very good man. I once emailed him a question about an old Robyn 123C mobile I bought with no mic, it was screaming/squealing on keyup, and I inquired about sending it to him, he spent his time to ask me if I was using Cobra style pinout on the mic, & I was!
He explained that I was using the wrong microphone wiring scheme for this radio, he even emailed me the correct pinout to use with my oldschool radio, he took the time to give me the information I needed to wire up the microphone correctly, he could have had me send the radio to him but he helped me make the radio work, knowing it wasn't going to be a sale. I can attest to this, & I've never called him yet, but I got the impression that he would be willing to help anyone out.

Some people, (no names mentioned) feel like taking the time to help someone for free is a waste.
This kind of person, that won't help you when no money is to be made, will show you who they really are on the inside (Greedy and not charitable/caring) through their actions.

Some people get taken advantage of during their lifetime, so much in fact that they then turn sour on the inside; & no longer will give the time of day to anyone. Some of those guys only are in it for the money, & would cut out limiters for a quick buck... sad really

That's what happens when you only learn how to hack technology and actually go backwards in real electronics theory.

I feel the real great technicians have the natural ability & sense to examine, and break-down a structure, to grasp the concept of what it is, and how it works, what pieces come together and how they fit, how they interact.
Later, they develop or learn/adapt the knowledge & technique needed to create such a structure in the 1st place!
Ultimately having the ability to modify/improve, patch/repair & maintain said structure/radios/antenna.

When they progress this far, they become Masterful In the Art
of communications, maintainability & repeatably.

Some dudes, like me can only do YouTube Videos; Poorly @ that too lol! My channel will stay unmonitized, I'm not trying to "be in it for the money".
That's not to say, that one day you wouldn't see a PDF tutorial posted to the forum, my original content :)
Some progress slower than others, some don't care enough to progress, some are too ignorant to understand how incorrect they are, in theory & in practice! 73

-LeapFrog

So true about some ( majority these days ) that only respond or appear to show care only when financial gain is made or to be had.
A bit like those assholes that sell an item to you, then should it be DOA you're on your own. Or at best merely supply you manufacturer contact details. I'd sooner pay a premium for a product if it is backed by the person selling it. In a nutshell, i rarely buy a product but a seller.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Old topic but I will say that Mikes videos have helped me a greatly in repairing a few of my personal radios, he shows little tips and things to look for that only come from years of experience and that's what I really appreciate. He doesn't have to go to all the time and effort to put out these videos but he does and that's a rare thing these days.

it is people like MikesRadioRepair, Mark19960, TRX Bench and w2aew and there videos. I pay close attention to what they have to say and there videos have helped me immensely.. they take the time to make videos and do a grate job at explaining how to trouble shoot...

I only seen 1 radio that came from Snake Radio Customs and it was a uniden 2510 he charged this guy i know something like $450 to change the caps and tune it up.. when he got it back the audio was so distorted it was hard to understand him.. It took me and my friend the good part of the day to re set all the adjustments back to spec with the limited test equipment we had...

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
This guy seems to have problems with his Mike-tuned President Lincoln. Not sure what he is describing in his tirade. He wouldn't publically admit to having those issues if he knew I was recording.

Reactions: Limeybastard
I try not to get into too much hype, but from my little research some folks seem to think president devices are not what they used to be. Then again, doesn't that apply to most things these days?

My favorite President.

8oz-Brie-round-copy-400x400.png

the new President "radios" are made on the cheep and if they where made like they where not many people would pay for them.. i would guess.

why the hell is he pushing the guy to get new meters if there working???
and talking about money? is this not straiten out though the phone?
this is why i learned to work on my own stuff for the price he charges i got my oun freq scope and bench top multi meter.. feq gen will be soon..

Last edited:
I like what he does cosmetically to the radios people send him, I had thought about sending him a radio a couple years ago but his prices are astronomical. Plus I have seen the video where he hoses a radio down...WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.