• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Solar panels

Apr 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I recently moved into a new construction house and I am considering having solar panels installed. I am wondering if there is anything that I need to be concerned about with regards to interference either from the inverters on the panels, or from my transmitted signal to the panels/inverters?
I was cold called by a company tonight and he didn't have any information about this, so I'm turning to the community to find out what information is out there.

Thanks,
Randy.

Also, if you are considering solar from a cold call that's a bit foolish. If you want solar I suggest you do a ton of homework and search out a company on your own. Nothing good comes from cold calls except a paycheck for the person on the other end.
I have been thinking about it for a couple of years, it just came to the front because he stopped by. I need to do a bunch of research before I jump in head first.

I recently moved into a new construction house and I am considering having solar panels installed. I am wondering if there is anything that I need to be concerned about with regards to interference either from the inverters on the panels, or from my transmitted signal to the panels/inverters?
I was cold called by a company tonight and he didn't have any information about this, so I'm turning to the community to find out what information is out there.

Thanks,
Randy.
I went through a lot of grief with solar charge controllers. Those solar panels make great RFI broadcast antennas. Long story short Renogy had an RFI-Free solar charge controller that solved my problems.

Reactions: murdog
I could tout super inverter performance, but that's just MHO. I've a pair of them, as a matter of fact; and, they aren't Outback.
Definitely do your home work on brands. Renogy makes a few assessories I've used with success including charge controller; I only mention because the name already came up.
I've not experienced any RFI issues. I concentrate on CB.
Good luck.

Appended: New Roof shingled home and new solar panels, I would think an extra 15 years on the unexposed shingles and might very well coincide with the reduction to 60% panel efficiency. I prefer a metal roof for a measure of heat reduction. Again, MHO. Heat really puts a strain on PV panels and radiating heat off of asphalt shingles :eek: I've the notion that air moves between a metal roof and direct mounted panels more readily than with shingles slowing down the flow.

The angle of insolation is very crucial. For fixed PV panels determine for your latitude the angle of the dangle for the fall and spring equinox and consider angled bracketing; will aid immeasureably with the heat issues.

Last edited:
Neighbor had solar panels installed almost two years ago, and I can't hear crap during the day time.

Be very careful about buying. My neighbor had Power Home Solar to install his, and then they changed their name to Pink Energy, and then quickly went out of business blaming it on Generac.

Will be glad when they tear up again because he has no warranty now! I asked him to ask Power Solar/Pink Energy to check on why his installation is transmitting RFI. That was over a year ago.

Read the article below about the company that sold him junk. It's an article from November 23, 2022.

And here is another one. Make sure to read this article because it has valuable information to help you from getting the shaft.

Last edited:
Good afternoon,

I have had solar for over 2 1/2 years with zero RFI. My solar install is 13 KW. I chose a reputable company to install them and made them aware from the beginning that I cannot have any RFI.

I had them mount the panels and inverters on a stand away from the house (about 150 feet). The inverters are Sunny Boy (German made) and unless you are within 4 feet you cannot pick up anything.

I had them run the cabling from the inverters to the house UNDERGROUND.

You can check out my qrz.com page (k7ctr) and you will see the installation and the proximity of my tower and wire antennas.

I believe if a person oversees the installation and the choice of inverters they can have an RFI free solar install.

Just my two cents: I know a lot of people, electricians, electronics gurus, and contractors. They all agree, from what they tell me, that solar panels never live long enough to even pay for themselves. They all tell me the same thing. Batteries need replacing and cells need service long before they are paid for, and they have never seen anyone save ANY money on them. Now, I live in the north and maybe that is a factor, I don't know. Also, our city is trying a solar farm to supplement our grid. Seems the labor is intensive. The cells need to be cleaned regularly or the output drops off. Also, they are replacing panels every year. As I said, I have no first hand experience, but I have spoken to many who do.

Just my two cents: I know a lot of people, electricians, electronics gurus, and contractors. They all agree, from what they tell me, that solar panels never live long enough to even pay for themselves. They all tell me the same thing. Batteries need replacing and cells need service long before they are paid for, and they have never seen anyone save ANY money on them. Now, I live in the north and maybe that is a factor, I don't know. Also, our city is trying a solar farm to supplement our grid. Seems the labor is intensive. The cells need to be cleaned regularly or the output drops off. Also, they are replacing panels every year. As I said, I have no first hand experience, but I have spoken to many who do.
We're "going green" at work and have been installing solar units in different locations for 12/24 VDC applications, It has been a freaking nightmare. Between the controllers, panels, and batteries, we've blown more than twice the initial investment just to keep them operational. I'm sure the mill environment plays a part but for us, it's not reliable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg T
I tried an experiment. I had a 100 Watt UHF repeater, that was little used. It consumed 100 Watts in standby and 400 Watts when transmitting. It cost $40 USD/Month to sit idly, with no TX time, in 2012. So, I decided to play with solar off grid with battery. I scaled back the TX power to a 25 Watt repeater, 12 volt system.

The first 100 Watt mono panel, developed micro cracks within 3 years. The voltage out of that panel, dropped below the rated output and the problem was visible in the battery capacity. The manufacturer (Renogy), fought me on warranty, because the short circuit current met the expected spec for its age. The two specs they base warranty on are, Open circuit voltage and short circuit current, in full sun. Open circuit V is ZERO load. Short circuit current is FULL load. However, Ohm's law, dictates that the lower the voltage, the higher the current in a circuit. It took several months of back and forth to finally convince them their criteria for panel warranty was faulty, that no load voltage proves nothing, to get a replacement. I have replaced the batteries several times since 2014 when this was built. I am on the 3rd charge controller.

I thought it was cool and "green". It proved to be a headache and not so green after all. About a week ago, I modified a 85% efficiency switching power supply. It consumes 12.6 Watts on standby and 140 Watts in TX. I no longer need to wait for the batteries to charge in the winter and fewer headaches. Probably less carbon footprint in the long run and now we are using it.

SL

I tried an experiment. I had a 100 Watt UHF repeater, that was little used. It consumed 100 Watts in standby and 400 Watts when transmitting. It cost $40 USD/Month to sit idly, with no TX time, in 2012. So, I decided to play with solar off grid with battery. I scaled back the TX power to a 25 Watt repeater, 12 volt system.

The first 100 Watt mono panel, developed micro cracks within 3 years. The voltage out of that panel, dropped below the rated output and the problem was visible in the battery capacity. The manufacturer (Renogy), fought me on warranty, because the short circuit current met the expected spec for its age. The two specs they base warranty on are, Open circuit voltage and short circuit current, in full sun. Open circuit V is ZERO load. Short circuit current is FULL load. However, Ohm's law, dictates that the lower the voltage, the higher the current in a circuit. It took several months of back and forth to finally convince them their criteria for panel warranty was faulty, that no load voltage proves nothing, to get a replacement. I have replaced the batteries several times since 2014 when this was built. I am on the 3rd charge controller.

I thought it was cool and "green". It proved to be a headache and not so green after all. About a week ago, I modified a 85% efficiency switching power supply. It consumes 12.6 Watts on standby and 140 Watts in TX. I no longer need to wait for the batteries to charge in the winter and fewer headaches. Probably less carbon footprint in the long run and now we are using it.

SL

I had them installed last year, and it's been a game-changer. As for interference, I haven't noticed any issues with signals. My WiFi works just fine, and I'm still binge-watching Netflix without a hitch! In terms of savings, my energy bills have taken a nosedive, which is fantastic. It's like my wallet is on a diet, but in a good way! Oh, and don't worry about being cold-called. I had my fair share of those too. What sold me on it was when I found out about the solar panels ireland initiative – they're really pushing for more sustainable energy here. I'd say go for it, Randy! The benefits outweigh any minor concerns, in my opinion.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated