• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Soldering trouble

338_MtRushmore

Jun 17, 2012
The Dakotas
I was trying to replace some components in a radio, but as soon as it gets hot enough to melt solder it starts melting the circuit board. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'm using too much flux?

20180706_194032.jpg

Maybe this guy needed that iron. Looks like the one he used required 'sculpting' the solder instead of melting it.

2RmibD.jpg

This is where he attached the hot side of the "ping" capacitor.

6BR1tW.jpg

The rest of the radio has more of these. Just hope we don't miss any of them. When someone tells you the radio's capacitors have "all been changed", it pays to have a look-see first.

All the ladies say it's too big, but I'm not sure? Seriously though, what would an iron like that be used for? Sheet metal and radiator repair are all I can think of, but a propane torch would work better for those I would think. Any ideas?

Reactions: 357magnum
Stained glass?

The lead they use has a higher melting temperature than tin/lead solder.

Takes heat to melt the formed lead channel onto the glass edge, too.

Or making a copper whiskey still with lead-free solder?

My grand mother once told me that when my grandfather was building the house they didn't have big electric irons like that. The irons they used for the copper gutters and downspouts had to be heated in a fire pit in the yard and the guy tending the fire would toss a hot one up to the guy on the roof when needed. I would love to have seen that.

I have an iron like that, although not as big. I have never used it, but I got it because of running into situations in the past where I couldn't get enough heat to solder/desolder on large pieces of sheet metal.

Reactions: 357magnum
If all fails that would be a great piece to put under the seat of you Car/Truck , Police stop you .... Hey I'm an outdated plumber ! That thing would hurt !:LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?