• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Some insight and answers for DTB

DTB, first how many miles have you logged :?: .

Now then you are not in it for the money? If you are then you have a big stake in it I really dont want to hear all the other because its irrelevant. You are or are not in it for the money ? I know where your place is at I have been through there a few times in the big truck. I use to drive the 81 corridor 3 days a week to syracuse. Also I dont use mine for work. And you wont find me on 19, even when I was driving. I do hear companys around here using the cb i will give you that. But also the bigger companys just use satelite now to track there stuff and the yard radios are just a little bit different. Also here where I live if you count on your cb for a life or death situation then you are in serious trouble unless the skip is rolling and you hope they got your # correct. Just to many holes here in the blueridge mountains. Everyone here (On this forum) has a tech they back. I have also heard (hearsay which holds no weight in court) lots of bad things about a lot of techs that everyone in this thread says are so good. Yes its true but its just my hearsay and I wont pollute the forum with it. Also if the person just doesnt have the balls to call the place they purchased the radio from and try to get things straight then thats there fault. Still remember EEI, I and alot of others got screwed by them but then that was a bad situation for everyone involved. Its just my little bitty word against yours and that really is all that it comes down to. Simple as that and with all the other freq's and channels there are, cb radio is just a hobby these days. I would really think that if your into what you say a professional service I would hope you could afford a better means of communication. Go to these big camping areas and look what they are using to back and position there campers. When they see my antennas thay ask :?: (by the way campers like the frs and gprs radios) I have been into the hobby enough (since 1970's) to give them good and correctable answers to there :?: . I am no tech not by a long shot thats why I hire guys like you to work on my radios, and when people ask me, they get the same answer. I help them to the best of my ability form swrs to wiring a mic. I am not in it for the $$$$ Now if you are in it for the $$$$ it isnt a hobby for you its a JOB. You also brought up quality of equipment. Yes as a hobbyist I pay good $$$$ to techs like your to make that bad boy scream. I bought a cobra 200 from 1stop who I might add to everyone reading use to be a advertiser here on the forum. And my cobra does sing. I would also put up a pole but IMPO i believe it would be bias as to how many use there radio's for work. I have noticed a lot of change since Dean has left. This place was in limbo for a while and things have changed. I looks to be for the better. I will also continue to visit here cause I help people out.

Now how many on this forum talk DX on there radios ? For some reason hobby didnt become a bad word till I made the post about northstar and you and a few others jump on my back about it. In short MHO is its not a hobby for you because you make a profit for it. So now as this olde worn out driver heads to the fridge for anothe rbeer :mrgreen:

P.S. I still have a lot of good friends on here and I will continue to visit so sit back relax and enjoy the show. Also if you dont have a preferance Ill drink one for to :D :LOL:

I am too just a hobbiest. I am not in it for money. Glad you like your Cobra 200GTL for 1stop. In the end CB is a hobby for 90% of us here. Some take it very serious some do not. This forum is not biased or owned by a radio company. So their tends to be alot more people posting their experiences and opinions. That is what makes this radio the best Radio Related forum on the web. Someone posts a bad experience at a radio dealer it is not deleted and they are not banned. Another thing is we have people fromm all ages and walks of life here. We have die hard Amers as well as SSBers here. I don't believe their is any bad techs on this forum. No one is perfect but some people do things the right way and some people do it their way. Happy New Year Devildog your welcome to post here anytime.

i have had great luck with bobs cb and rolling radios!!! they know there stuff... :LOL: and 8541 electronics he knows his stuff as well!!!

they are my choices!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I am in my pickup CB is a hobby 100%. When I am in my big truck it is an integral part of my job and I rely on it for communications while on the road. I take both my hobbies and my job seriously and dont want to waste money on a hack tune up when you could get it done right the first time. If you were a trucker Devildog you know what its like to be rolling down the interstate with a pair running the front door on a different channel and they BLEED horrible. There is no way to get away from it you just have to put up with it. If they would have taken the time to find a reputable tech and got a quality tune up instead of the limiter ripped out with needlenose pliers they ,more than likely, would not be bleeding all 40 channels. That messes with everyones communications on the road. Its no different than me parking next to you and throwing an AM carrier on 38 when you are trying to talk skip.

Hmmmm ? Nice post there D-Dog , I think I can relate a bit with that. Weather it's a JOB or a HOB .....don't make much differance to me , I make a few dollars here and there from it ,but it surely ain't no JOB .....it's HOB ! (-: Wow !!! IM not to sure about ripping diodes out with needle nose pliers though )-: Ouch !!! Bleed Over ? My God man !! It's always been a part of my HOB !! Wow !! it's just a game man !! Go on channel six and listen to how over modulated and clipped this and that and bleed over 50 channels every which way but loose !! it's been that way for the 20 years I've been around, do you think those guys care ? Hell no !!! There out there bleeding and having a ball shooting skip and talking to there homeboys !!! Man !! It's all good !! there having fun ...and the chuck'in and jive'in is all good !!! Hat's off to you so called Radio people who feel the need to do things the right way and why !! .....but that ain't going to change the way people perfer to run there radios !! ......It's all about old school for many, my cb brothers !! ......you think they give a ratts a$$ about the differance between right and wrong when it comes to there old Teaberrys and Rat Shack Navahos ect.ect. ??? !!! Hell no !!! ....IM a freak'in CB Outlaw radio operator !! just like the countless others through out the land !! CB radio is about as low as one can go now-a-days for cummunacations !! .....B.F.D. !!! You guys think your going to clean it all up ?? Yeah right !! and then the RF wore off )-: ....By all means talk about what's right and why that is and maybe talk about why the wrong ways are wrong .....but keep your damned fingers to yourselves already !! .....And hey D-Dog ....I'd say Northstar was OK .....but he paints it loud and clear for all to see that he don't like who he don't like !! that is just the nature of the beast with many a folk who felt like they have been done wrong !! .....When is enough , enough ? ....Here we go round and round and round and it always ends up at they same place it started from. ....OH ...that's another thing !! a tune up on that there radio really isn't that much more (but it surely helps !) then when it came out of the cotten pick'in box !!!! You want the JOB done the way "the man" planed it to be ? ......Well then leave the darn thing alone in the first place !!! You want to be good little boys and girls on your radios ? Then a get a Ham licence and leave those 10 meter radios alone and stop converting them over to that ever love'in trash band they call CB !! (No pun intended ) Ripping the diode out with a needle nose pliers ?? That's brutal dude !! Brutal !! Happy New Year's guys !! From the likes of me that CB radio operating outlaw Switch Kit ........If it makes you feel any better ? you can go ahead and point the finger at me )-: ........but guess what ? you got three more pointing right back at yourselves Hmmmm ...IM 10-7

SwitchKit,

I don't really dislike anyone life's to short for that. I just like to tell it like it is. I hope all is good on your end. Happy New Year.

It's all good Northstar ! Just wouldn't want to get on your bad side dude (-: HAPPY COTTON PICK'IN NEW YEAR TO YA MY FORUM FRIEND !!!

I agree with Northstar on the lifes to short, also really no dislikes here its just the internet. If anyone thinks I take all this stuff serious dont. Because as Northstar put it life is to short.

I do notice some of you use the cb for business, I am glad I dont have to. To me its just radio, my hobby a fun part of my life. Something I like to tinker with. I guess you could say its kind of like fishing. Just use rf to catch the big ones ;):) In a way I wish I was more like Switch Kit, a little more brash but I am a pretty mild person nothing really ruffles my feathers of course unless it jumps into my family life.

I do have to recant a little on not using it while driving cause if there was a traffic problem I would drop down to see what was going on. FBB, I know what your talking about on the bleed over but If skip wasnt rolling and I wasnt on the home channel I am usually listening to the radio. So yes Hobby 90% professional 10%

Hope everyone has a good New Year

Devildog didn't think to include a quote of the post he was talking about, so here it is.

DTB Radio said:
Devildog,

I can't agree that CB is just a hobby for everybody. There are MANY out there who rely on their CB's for communication in remote locations, as well many thousands of truckers who rely on their CB for not only communication between themselves and other truckers, but for communication between themselves and many of their destinations (a large number of warehouses are switching to CB radio for communication with incoming and outgoing trucks). There are even situations in which some people find that they need to rely on their CB for life-and-death issues, although thats quite rare. None of the people I mentioned would consider CB to be just a hobby.

With that in mind, I can see your point about the hobbyist not being particular about the quality of his equipment and performance. However, to suggest, either directly or indirectly, that everyone falls into that category, also suggests that you do NOT understand the world of CB radio as well as you may think, and it also tends to suggest that you fall into the category of the hobbyist who isn't concerned about quality.

For those who do not look at CB as merely a hobby, it is important to know where they can find the most reliable, competant, and professional service posible from techs who care enough to be as technically-accurate as possible. The mere hobbyist, as portrayed by your post and by many of Switchkit's (sorry Switch, I gotta be honest), has no business, in my opinion, making suggestions to the serious CB user that anyone's work is going to be good enough, or that it doesn't matter how particular work is done (such as tune-ups, etc). Not only is it wasteful of money to "try" someone to see if they're good, but it can also mean that the user has to put up with inferior performance between the bad shop and the good one that he has to pay to fix the first shop's mistakes. Wasted money AND time, as well as possibly other consequences if the user finds they need to rely on the poor-performing CB for emergency communications.

Also, Devildog, the correct spelling is "poll", not "pole" for the part of your post quoted below.

And my cobra does sing. I would also put up a pole but IMPO i believe it would be bias as to how many use there radio's for work.

Well ,DTB ,we can take yours or anybody else's blacklists on this planet "on this web site" and talk about why others feel "those folks" ain't no good . I would still bet to say that more of "there" customers are happy and content then not weather or not they have been blacklisted or not according to whom. For the most part "they" do not feel as if "they" wasted there money, as you put it. I can see in your point of view why "you" would think that they did ,all the same. All of these web sites have there local techies , some of these sites will even kick you off for dissing there decisions on how they do things weather "you" or "I" like it or not. It's "there" web site and "there" paid for place of business. 1 Stop has Frank and R&R who get most of the positive press for being and doing what they do over there ......weather you or I like them as techs or not, and what they do or don't do to somebody else's radios . You come in "there" house and you start dissing them for what they do weather your opinion is just or not ? chances are you won't be around for very long after that. I really don't know about "now" DTB ? But you over there at 1 Stop as CBTECH don't seem to be as controverseal on blacklists and others on how they do there work as you are around the WWRF ......is it because your more comfortable with your opinions on how you feel over here ? I personally thought you were there to help others more so then to down others for what they do unlike the WWRF ......is that called respecting somebody else's house when your there ? but over here you feel like you have a more comfortable freedom of speech ? I personally find your radio knowledge very good DTB as I've said numorous times before , it's just the God Damned finger pointing that tends to just be a total turn off for me !! You or countless others can't do what you do and believe in what you do and why ,without finding the time to put down others whenever you get the chance to do so ?(your doing the public a justice or is it yourself ?) as I said .....you seemed to do that over at 1 Stop ? Why is it different here then ? .....business ? ......You can do what you do DTB without blackballing others ....Would that be bad for business ? IM just doing my best to be fair to all around here or anywhere else DTB ......if I was to personally have a blacklist with the negative opinions about others to go with it .....what would that make me ? A good guy helping out the Internet public at large ? or if i had my own business on top of everything else ? Could I be helping out myself maybe ? Is business really that bad that I have to come up with blacklists upon others for what might turn out to be a good thing for my billfold ? What good is knowledge if one doesn't have the humility to humble themselves ? I suppose it might be like lazybones once said to me in a post .....Why bother Rookie !! they are just going to continue to do and say what they do weather you or I like it or not !! ......I guess that could well be ? but I just feel the need to express myself weather others feel as if I have bent over and started talking from the other end or not. If IM truly missing something here ? I can only hope the good Lord allows me to see the light at the end of the tunnel in hopes it's not a big a$$ train coming towards me. Peace

"if I was to personally have a blacklist with the negative opinions about others to go with it .....what would that make me ?"

another person with more opinions. let me reiterate one more time, there are NO OPINIONS expressed in the blacklist. if you believe otherwise then that's just ANOTHER OPINION.

there has always been and still is only one reason why the shops that are listed on the blacklist are there to begin with. the reason is CLEARLY spelled out at the top AND the bottom of the page. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine whether or not the amc/alc circuit has been disabled. it's all about technical standards and business ethics and has nothing to do with anyones "feelings" about a particular shop or any opinions held regarding them. you can attempt to read that into what you see there all you want but it still isn't there.

technical specifications are not subject to opinion, they are either met, exceeded or they fall short, there is no "middle ground." here are some technically relevant facts:

WHAT DETERMINES THE BANDWIDTH OF AN AM (DSB) SIGNAL?
Bandwidth: means the signal width in hertz, kilohertz, and in some cases megahertz. The bandwidth of an AM signal is equal to twice the highest modulating audio frequency.

As the highest voice frequency that needs to the transmitted (for acceptable intelligibility) is 3 kHz, and the bandwidth of a double side band signal is twice the highest modulating frequency, a double side band amateur transmission must therefore have a bandwidth of: 2 x 3 kHz = 6 kHz.

Many modern transmitters have audio filters that slice off some of the voice frequencies above 2.8 kHz making the bandwidth even narrower. The bandwidth is not dependent upon the power of the modulating audio (provided the transmitter is not over modulated). In commercial AM broadcast transmitters, the frequency of the modulating audio is permitted to be as high as 4.5 kHz, and since a double side system is used, commercial stations therefore have a bandwidth of 9 kHz.

if the transmiter is overmodulated then THE BANDWIDTH IS DEPENDENT UPON THE POWER OF THE MODULATING AUDIO. the more overmodulated the wider the signal becomes, followed by raw splatter and interference to the adjacent channels. if the listening station is using a reciever with a filter bandpass of say 3khz. @ -6db. & 9khz. @ -40db. then what is the status of any power developed outside of the operating bandwidth? WASTED.

it's also a blatant declaration of the operators inconsideration for other operators using adjacent frequencies. if you want to make this about someones "feelings" then let's start here. the operation of an overmodulated, distorted transmitter is OFFENSIVE to all other operators using the band in the near proximity and as conditions allow, for some miles distant. if that's your idea of how a transmitter should function then you're sadly mistaken and that is definitely just your opinion, glaringly deficient in the face of the facts.

let's face it, most of you here know that there are always going to be a MAJORITY of shops that wrongfully conclude that a radio just isn't "TUNED UP" unless the amc/alc is gutted and there's no ifs, ands or buts about it. they're wrong and they need to know it. this type of crap would never pass muster in the commercial and business bands and neither should it here in this service, despite its other many shortcomings, both user and agency induced. even in pursuits such as this, ignorance is bliss and the only answer is education, for those who operate shops as well as the customers who frequent them. it's toward these ends that the blacklist was originally conceived and exists until now.

to those shops out there who also have a presence on the www and advertise the removal or "clipping" of these circuits in this equipment, don't come crying to us when you show up on the list, after all, we're only repeating what you've published. it's you doing the advertising and that can work to your advantage as well as to your detriment as the education continues. as has been the case since the blacklists' inception, it's all up to you.

are we in it for the money? yeah, we decided to take on a majority industry populace that subscribes to the butchering of two way radio equipment to try and restore some modicum of technical standards because we're in it for the money. if we were in it for the money we would be doing the same thing everyone else is instead of defying all of this "modification" insanity, all the while keeping our thoughts and words to ourselves. i believe it's referred to as "the path of least resistance." think again. i can only speak for myself but i don't believe that either dave or myself will end up on the Forbes 500 or anything close to that anytime soon. i learned a long time ago that usually the right thing to do is always the most difficult. the two seem to go hand in hand. the bar has been lowered far enough, it's about time that we began raising it back up, ultimately for the benefit of all. i can't think of any one person throughout history who defied the current "status quo" and wound up rich and famous as a result. neither can you.

for those of you who still insist that there is some other hidden agenda and the intent is yet somehow "personal" or based on some vendetta or desire to generate revenue let me fill you in on something. some people will always refuse to listen to the facts and insist that they want it done their way and i can tell you that doesn't preclude them from walking out the door when we refuse to accomodate them. where you see that translating into big bucks for us is your illusion. that's still just your opinion, and not a well thought out one at that.

birds of a feather flock together Freecell ......and I personal don't care what you think about the way I feel or think ...it's obvious to me that you are on a different page then I .....You care what others do because the right way is the almighty way !! This is all good with me !! what isn't is the God damned finger pointing over and over and over again at others !! Your saving the CB world from what ??? Well by all means you do so and while your at it you might want to take your blacklist and shove it were the sun don't shine .....it doesn't and never will impress me much. What does impress me though is a humble knowledge of how and why this stuff works for the best
(A HUMBLE ONE !!) ....Not the finger pointing slander of others !!! to make yourself feel better or to help save the cb land of what ever you want to call it (bleed over and slatter) ? or to help pay your bills or to better the world at large ? Good Luck to you !! .....How noble of you to turn a customer away that wants something done to his radio because it wouldn't live up to your personal standards ....whats that make you !! A Superior Human being over others ? ....In your own mind dude !! in your own mind,it just means that you perfer to do it the right way ....your illegal doings are OK but the other guys is not ? Your just full of your own self richious beliefs !!! As I've said to others .....Humble thy self !! .....just because your way is scientifically better then the others ....your still guilty of the law of the land and you love nothing better to blacklist the first guy that doesn't live up to your personal standards of life !! You just don't get it do you ? ......The best to you and others like you who feel that the machines ways or the scientific best ways for all of this ....this I can personally agree with to a scientific degree .....blacklists and finger pointing of others is a form of slander anyway I personally look at it !! especially when what others do are breaking the laws of the land as well. Yeap ! You bet'cha !! Somethings never change with folks !! The song remains the same. They tend to see only what they want to see. Your right Lazybones !! ......it's like a God damned scratch in the record that just keeps on playing over and over and over again.

http://forum.worldwidedx.com/viewtopic.php?p=51598&highlight=#51598

And he's still telling it like it is. freecell, thanks for your continued contribution to the forum and don't pull the b'list. No matter what others may think or say, [including pseudo judgements from those who aren't even in the business] you, dave and the other shops involved provide an invaluable service. I was passing thru and stopped by your place for a few "accessories" and had to add my input to the discussion. If you're around next time the meal is on me.

I visited the site recently and i have to tell you that i'm intrigued with the two new links at the top of the page, just wondering what those are all about? I'm out here on the road and i was wondering if you could email me with some details. I don't sit still long enough to chat with you on the site but i like to keep up with what you have going on. [smile] Keep up the good work.

Alpha 7even Delta Xray

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.