• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Speech processors: do you use one?

I got my Top Gun modulator from Sparky today. Pretty fast - considering it was only ordered three days ago. I might put it in today; not sure. After all it's the 24th...

It is about the size of a postage stamp with wires. Was told to hot glue it into place by Sparky's crew. I'll probably just use some gel-type super glue instead.

I might use Dealer's method to adjust the audio - since I don't have a scope nor know how to use one yet.
Thanks!

I decided against putting the TopGun modulator and compressor in my Galaxy 99V. I was discussing this mod with a local radio operator ("WR-954") that knows his way about the 99V and these mods. He told me that the 99V I have was one of the more rare versions that Galaxy released. Some were produced with no need of crystal replacement nor needed any embellishments to the output audio. It would be counter-productive to use the mods on this radio.

We also discussed using them on my Ranger AR-3500. We both agreed that it would be a better way to see that radio produce more needed modulation from it. Bob's CB shop in Pennsylvania is the man who originally designed and produced the TopGun modulators and compressors for Sam Lewis at RF Limited for the Magnum radios and the AR-3500. He did so in an effort to make the AR-3500's work more efficiently. So at the request of Sam Lewis, I will be getting in touch with Bob's CB shop and interview him on the TopGun history, developments, and products.

Couple of questions for those in the know:

1.) Does RF Clipping like ten-tecs work on an AM only rigs; seems all the references are to SSB...

2.) How well does signal processing work on high modulation designs like CB, versus the low level mod of ham?

Rob that is what i had in my AR-3500 100wt. model. You had to pull out the Mic gain knob The Sp-1a had great modulation on Am and on SSB That was the best radio i ever had. I am getting a RCI-2970n2 i may check out some feed back on installing a Sp-1a

Speech processors etc

So Rob, You did not seem to finish this thread. Just how did it work?
Am I correct in surmising it was a less than expected experience with the TGM?
I do know the Sp-1A worked well. not sure if the CP1 and TGM can do as well as there are just not a lot of parts in those things. The TGM doesn't help much on SSB anyway as far as I know...
How about letting us know what happened
cheers,
dave

I have pretty much always used a speech processor but most were already built into the radio.
Yap - That's about the only way that I would ever use a "speech processor", for I certainly am not going to spend a dime on something just to make my voice sound - smoooth!

I'll save all them extra $$$$ and put it towards food for my belly!:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I decided against putting the TopGun modulator and compressor in my Galaxy 99V. I was discussing this mod with a local radio operator ("WR-954") that knows his way about the 99V and these mods. He told me that the 99V I have was one of the more rare versions that Galaxy released. Some were produced with no need of crystal replacement nor needed any embellishments to the output audio. It would be counter-productive to use the mods on this radio.

We also discussed using them on my Ranger AR-3500. We both agreed that it would be a better way to see that radio produce more needed modulation from it. Bob's CB shop in Pennsylvania is the man who originally designed and produced the TopGun modulators and compressors for Sam Lewis at RF Limited for the Magnum radios and the AR-3500. He did so in an effort to make the AR-3500's work more efficiently. So at the request of Sam Lewis, I will be getting in touch with Bob's CB shop and interview him on the TopGun history, developments, and products.

So Rob, You did not seem to finish this thread. Just how did it work?
Am I correct in surmising it was a less than expected experience with the TGM?
I do know the Sp-1A worked well. not sure if the CP1 and TGM can do as well as there are just not a lot of parts in those things. The TGM doesn't help much on SSB anyway as far as I know...
How about letting us know what happened
cheers,
dave
AS you can see above, I decided NOT to use the Top Gun compressor in the 99v.

I still have the parts. They can be put in and used in many different radios. I have a Ranger AR3500 that I may put the compressor in. But for now, I am keeping it pristine and untouched.

Last edited:
Reactions: 711
i don't use one , but i have a few questions .......
is the top gun module really a speech processor ?
or is is just a swing kit with a different name ?
what is the difference between the topgun/speech processor in a 257HP and the speech processor is a turner +3 mic ?
is one better than the other ?
if so , which is better and why ?
i don't recall the +3 making a radio swing from 1 watt to 70-80 watts ....... if they are both speech processors why don't they have a similar effect on the transmitted signal ?

A compressor is NOT the same as the 'modulator'.
Two different animals.

'Speech processor' = 'audio/speech compressor' = 'compressor'.
The TopGun compressor - or 'processor' - works on AM, FM, and SSB modes. It is directly hooked in to the radio's audio IC chip that preamplifies the mic audio.

The TopGun 'Modulator' works on AM only, is installed much in the same way a NPC mod is, and requires being hooked into the AM modulation regulator transistor. Works just like the NPC mod. When 200% or 300% modulation is applied to a 2 watt AM dead key with an NPC mod installed, you will see 16 to 32 watts PEP swing - respectively (Using MOSFETS transistors will allow it dead key low and swing higher with the NPC mod due to the nature of the dual MOSFET's in Magnum radios).

Or put another way:
A stock radio (w/o the NPC mod) on AM with 100% modulation will swing 8 watts with a 2 watt dead key (a '4 to 1 ratio') - as an example.

Double or tripling those PEP output numbers is a direct result of the NPC mod ALLOWING 200% or 300% modulation.
But ONLY IF the NPC mod, or 'TopGun Modulator', or even the 'Mauldulator' (all the same thing with a different name-BTW) is installed can you get that much modulation without distortion.

Don't know about the term 'swing mod' - but as a guess - it might mean the same thing.

This should explain what I'm saying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZDCyDNBG5k&feature=player_embedded

http://www.topguntec.com/tgt_md_1.htm

I hope that I made it understood now.
At least, that is the way I understand it.

Last edited:
the NPC mod, or 'TopGun Modulator', or even the 'Mauldulator' (all the same thing with a different name-BTW)

The TGM and the Mauldulator aren't even close to being the same. The mauldulator is a much more sophisticated device. The difference in price should have been your first clue. I've heard radios with the TGM installed, and also Motormouth Maul's mauldulator on-the-air, and the difference is like night and day. The NPC mod and the TGM may be the same ...I dunno. But since they only work on AM, none of them are of any use to me.

thanks robb . (y)
%200 - %300 modulation isn't my cup of tea .
Commercial broadcast stations use asymmetric modulation with the NPC circuit all the time. Perhaps Captain Kilowatt can describe how it is used and implimented once again for us.
Didja check out the viddy above?

The TGM and the Mauldulator aren't even close to being the same. The mauldulator is a much more sophisticated device. The difference in price should have been your first clue. I've heard radios with the TGM installed, and also Motormouth Maul's mauldulator on-the-air, and the difference is like night and day. The NPC mod and the TGM may be the same ...I dunno. But since they only work on AM, none of them are of any use to me.

I agree about the AM use, JJ.
Never priced the 'Mauldulator' either. Guess there are more twists on the NPC mod. But the asymmetric modulation is the common denominator between them I guess.

Yap - That's about the only way that I would ever use a "speech processor", for I certainly am not going to spend a dime on something just to make my voice sound - smoooth!

I'll save all them extra $$$$ and put it towards food for my belly!:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Or chuck it into the ground in concrete.:laugh:

Here's the deal. I have a stock Galaxy DX 99V radio (w/dual 2SC1969 finals) in my car with no linear power. This radio will see 6-25~ PEP as it is - with a Astatic D-104 mic. If I can see 4-35~ watts out of this radio - and keeping the TX audio clean - I'll consider it a success and a bargain.

i'm not sure if your expecting the processor to raise your P.E.P, looks from the way you've worded it you are, it won't do that Robb, it will raise your average talk power though, and if your careful with the setting, as others have said around 10db or so of compression, it will sound loud but not overly distorted.

processors are great in sh!t conditions for cutting through crap, but in normal conditions they are best off or set very low as they can be tiring on the ears, like any form of distortion.

keeping the tx audio clean isn't the job of a processor, all compression adds distortion (try listening to an mp3 v the original cd, not a remastered highly compressed modern cd mind, on a good hifi/speakers,you'll see what i mean), its a trade off against sounding ok and getting through the crap with louder audio.

Thanks for the comments, jazz.
But I started this thread well before I began leaning more about the internals and alignments. Check the dates on this thread.

Compressors will push down audio peaks while raising the level of the weaker signals in any audio. Distortion happens when square waving occurs. Keeping the peaks down keep the signals from distorting; so it usually distortion from occurring. Unless you are referring to IMD being boosted. Very little distortion that way.

Digital distortion is a completely different animal, such as mp4 distortion. I always disliked digital audio for that reason. It's fine until it is pushed into distortion; then it is the nastiest kind.

Still appreciate the comments - tho . . .

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.