• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Speech processors: do you use one?

Compressors will push down audio peaks while raising the level of the weaker signals in any audio. Distortion happens when square waving occurs. Keeping the peaks down keep the signals from distorting; so it usually keeps distortion from occurring. Unless you are referring to IMD being boosted. Very little distortion that way.
Bold print is a correction.
:laugh:

Using a compressor - or 'processing' as it is called on a Ham radio - will also alter the dynamic range too. When it 'squishes' the audio peaks down, it often alters the bass response the most. But what it does best, is make it all fit within 100% modulation without exceeding it.

It has a built in compressor and limiter?? What model number is it?

EQ is all I need!

I have the mic gain and main balanced out to where there's no ALC action on the transceiver. I produce more of a mid-range punch that I use for most all my contacts. It's a pretty accurate reproduction of my voice... I don't try to fool myself into thinking I'm Don LaFontaine

EQ is all I need!

I have the mic gain and main balanced out to where there's no ALC action on the transceiver. I produce more of a mid-range punch that I use for most all my contacts. It's a pretty accurate reproduction of my voice... I don't try to fool myself into thinking I'm Don LaFontaine

Hi fellow Michigander.....can you explain how you connect a mixer to your CB?

Hi fellow Michigander.....can you explain how you connect a mixer to your CB?

Hello,

I use an FT101, but you should be able to run any mic through any mic input.

HOWEVER.

You must roughly match the mic impedance between the mic and the transceiver, as well as the dBv of signal. Wrong impedance and too strong of signal leads to distortion, and possibly equipment damage.

When I first started this thread, it was directed for those radios that would be used in a mobile environment that didn't have onboard signal processing.

Any interested in outboard processing gear for your base station - be it Ham or CB - then there is a five part series that may want to read in how/why in hooking up and using REAL audio processing gear. It's not that difficult to do and only marginal in cost.
Here:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/installa...itizens-band-radio-export-radio-part-1-a.html

As far as signal processing for mobile radios goes; then there are options to improve your broadcast signal. A compressor - or 'processor' - works on all modes (AM, FM, and SSB). They can be found in most Magnum radios, the Cobra SoundTracker radio series, and in a rare-find Turner hand-held +3 mobile mics. OR - you can install one using a TopGun Compressor that can be easily wired into a radio. It will cost about ~$20 from Sparky's CB or Bob's CB Shop and will fit a number of radio models.

For the AMers who are mobile; then you can use both the compressor AND a TopGun Modulator, or the 'Mauldulator' (don't know who makes it), or the standard NPC mod for your radio. The TopGun Modulator is also ~$20 from the same places mentioned above and is a bit more difficult to install. Or use the simple yet effective NPC mod that cost less than $1 but will require some research to acquire the instructions for installation. AS we have read so far, we can see that this mod will also require some finer adjustments with a scope to dial the modulation in for best results.

However, ANY NPC or 'Maudulator' will still need to be run in such a way that you don't over-modulate. It will allow more modulation by far; but will still need to be used judiciously for best results.

Anyone have info on the 'Mauldulator?
AS in where can it be purchased and how much is it?

Last edited:
When I first started this thread, it was directed for those radios that would be used in a mobile environment that didn't have onboard signal processing.

Any interested in outboard processing gear for your base station - be it Ham or CB - then there is a five part series that may want to read in how/why in hooking up and using REAL audio processing gear. It's not that difficult to do and only marginal in cost.
Here:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/installa...itizens-band-radio-export-radio-part-1-a.html

As far as signal processing for mobile radios goes; then there are options to improve your broadcast signal. A compressor - or 'processor' - works on all modes (AM, FM, and SSB). They can be found in most Magnum radios, the Cobra SoundTracker radio series, and in a rare-find Turner hand-held +3 mobile mics. OR - you can install one using a TopGun Compressor that can be easily wired into a radio. It will cost about ~$20 from Sparky's CB or Bob's CB Shop and will fit a number of radio models.

For the AMers who are mobile; then you can use both the compressor AND a TopGun Modulator, or the 'Mauldulator' (don't know who makes it), or the standard NPC mod for your radio. The TopGun Modulator is also ~$20 from the same places mentioned above and is a bit more difficult to install. Or use the simple yet effective NPC mod that cost less than $1 but will require some research to acquire the instructions for installation. AS we have read so far, we can see that this mod will also require some finer adjustments with a scope to dial the modulation in for best results.

However, ANY NPC or 'Maudulator' will still need to be run in such a way that you don't over-modulate. It will allow more modulation by far; but will still need to be used judiciously for best results.

Anyone have info on the 'Mauldulator?
AS in where can it be purchased and how much is it?

Thanks for the link. :)

Hello,

I use an FT101, but you should be able to run any mic through any mic input.

HOWEVER.

You must roughly match the mic impedance between the mic and the transceiver, as well as the dBv of signal. Wrong impedance and too strong of signal leads to distortion, and possibly equipment damage.

Thanks for the reply...I always wanted a Boss VT-1 hooked up to my CB. :)

In 1991 I got to see and use a AR3300 and AR3500 100watt model with the SP1-A from the factory as an option. I was hooked and when I got my RCI2950 I put one in as the first mod. In truth since the AM section was basically a cybernet clone it really did not need it for AM or SSB. In fact localy I would not say it made much of a difference....On the other hand when I was talking about tropical fish with a guy in London England from Ga on a bone stock output RCI2950 due in part to Sun Spot and Solar Flair cycles at the time it made a huge difference in my audio. So while it does change your voice a bit only those people that know you will be able to tell everyone else willjust know they can now copy you better. It is really when you are at the limits of the radio's power out put or when relying on external environmental propagation that it really enhances your ability to be understood. It helps in pile up's as well.

I know nothing about those devices being sold that are also used in those dreadful export radio's that do not make any sense.....You know they have 10 bands of channels but only AM and FM no SSB no freq counter no split no dual VFO's etc.....TO me those things are boat anchor's. I have heard nothing but bad things about those radio's and I am sure it is not the radio built all the people that are working on them with no scope, no signal generator, just a light bulb, a Dosey meter a screw driver and diagnol cuter's.....I think every radio deserves to have it's self aligned by someone with the tools to do it right!

Last I checked you could still buy the SP1-a I have a spare I have been keeping around just in case. Their is another one that use's the exact same chip set as the speech processor in most amateur gear and in most broadcasting stations. The guy is not doing a very good job marketing his product but it looks like a fantastic product that is cutting edge for our current level of technology and built to be Mil-Spec. tough. It does not have anything stupid like a modulator function........Can you say splatter box!!!! I have only seen one man do the " modulation" type mod and not produce splatter box's and he is probably retired or dead now! HE actually had a PHd. in Electronic circuit design and was one of those eccentric types......In the right time frame he prob. would have been drinking buddies with Tesla or Howard Huges. HE was terrible with money, his hygiene was well less then ideal and he really needed people to look after him because he would forget to eat for days at a time...So the idea of "modulator" function on a radio from the factory makes me cringe and I would never put such a thing in any radio I owned. I hope they do not put those things in anything with SSB or they disable it if you select SSB I can only imagine how something like that mess up SSB operation.

So I would urge people to avoid anything with the words "Modulator" in the description or name! Speech Compression is fantastic and can easily give you an edge in being understood and picked out of a pile up. "Modulators" make you look like skip even when you are local.....If I see a dancing needle unless I know it is a local station I ignore them assuming it is skip. On top of that unless you have someone that really knows what they are doing and can do a proper alignment after installing something like that you stand a good chance of producing all kinds of harmonics and becoming a splatter box mouth of cotton over modulated mess. What is the sense of being loud if it is work to understand a word you are saying.

Yes, I am opinionated and I know it. I have nothing against CB as I am not even a licensed amateur yet I am working on it! I do though hate bad sounding radio's and amps that tear-up 6 Chanel on either side of where they are at. Their are a lot of people selling a lot of bad idea because they know they can sell it. It does not make it a good idea just because it is popular and on the market!

I will try to find the link to the newest speech processor I have seen that use's the same chip set that most Amateur radio's use and most broadcast stations use in their speech processor section. I think it is on my Desk Top and I am in bed on my laptop right now. Insomnia!

I found it!!! VoiceMax Transceiver Speech Processor

It is nice being able to link to my Desk top files via WiFi.....I need to do that more often. I forget I can do that....LOL This will appeal to a lot of people in Broadcast that are familiar with this chipset and want to add it to something old like a Y-101 or something Heathkit made etc.......This unit is designed to be left on continuously and to live as long as the radio or longer left on. In a radio with low level AM modulation like HR2510 or President Lincoln etc.....I would leave it on all the time so anytime the radio was on it would be on. You can use it in all modes. In a unit with strong AM audio and good sounding audio I would use a switch to turn it on and off. For local talking in ones back yard I think I would rather have the dynamics of my voice more life like. This is also why I am really picky about power mic's most of on the market for mobile use really make ones voice metalic like and I do not like that.

Just lke the SP1-A you can set the sensitivity or gain so any stock mike can be as sensitive and pick up as much as a power mic so you do not have to eat it if you like but you do not have to set it up that way at all it is just an options. I hate eating a mic but if you in a big rig well you would not want it to have that much gain.

I talked with the guy that designed this device and he is very competent and know's his product inside and out. If I want info I am well know for calling the owner of the company or the guy that designed a thing etc......He was very pleasant to deal with. I need to get off my duff order one and give her a go.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.