• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Speech processors: do you use one?

I decided against putting the TopGun modulator and compressor in my Galaxy 99V. I was discussing this mod with a local radio operator ("WR-954") that knows his way about the 99V and these mods. He told me that the 99V I have was one of the more rare versions that Galaxy released. Some were produced with no need of crystal replacement nor needed any embellishments to the output audio. It would be counter-productive to use the mods on this radio.

We also discussed using them on my Ranger AR-3500. We both agreed that it would be a better way to see that radio produce more needed modulation from it. Bob's CB shop in Pennsylvania is the man who originally designed and produced the TopGun modulators and compressors for Sam Lewis at RF Limited for the Magnum radios and the AR-3500. He did so in an effort to make the AR-3500's work more efficiently. So at the request of Sam Lewis, I will be getting in touch with Bob's CB shop and interview him on the TopGun history, developments, and products.

Robb...
Can you go into more detail? Is the 99v model version more rare or... the one that you have? What makes the 99v special verses other models? Thanks

I thought Bob's was off I80 does I80 run to Penn.?? I bought my SP1-a from him. I ordered it off his sight. Small world.

When last I checked the Top Gun Speech Processor was $49 but someone on this sight is saying their $20. That does not sound right at all unless prices have dropped which seems unlikely!

You owe it to yourself if you have not yet checked out the product I mentioned to check it out. He clearly list's the chip set being used so you can reference it against broadcast quality units and the chipset used in most modern radio's with compressor/processors built in from the OEM. Talking about amateur radio's not those radio's with band switch's labeled with letter's of the alphabet AM or AM/FM only intended to be sold for people to use on 11meter class D CB. I am not sure but I am thinking that RF Unlimted aka Sam Lewis does not disclose anything about the chipset in use or any technical facts about said units?!?!

sp-1a

There is a difference in a properly adjusted processor and an overly processed station. A lot of people think that more is better but not so when it comes to audio processing.When I run the processor on my Kenwood I run no more than about 10-12 dB of compression even tho it will produce more than twice that. I run just enough to boost the average power output level on SSB and not enough to produce that LOUD distorted sound that picks up every little sound in the shack. It's a fine line balancing mic gain and compression levels.

That is great info. i had the sp-1a processor installed in
my mirage mx 36 hp by richard a tech @ the ten four cb store
in ocala fl. it has to be installed with a scope. and adjusted
properly . richard is the best tech i know of 35 yrs exspierience.
i run the mic gain @ 2 oclock. 100% modulation no distortion
crystal clear clean audio.

That is great info. i had the sp-1a processor installed in
my mirage mx 36 hp by richard a tech @ the ten four cb store
in ocala fl. it has to be installed with a scope. and adjusted
properly . richard is the best tech i know of 35 yrs exspierience.
i run the mic gain @ 2 oclock. 100% modulation no distortion
crystal clear clean audio.

Too many people Distort their Signal..

I do use a processor..
But only when it comes with my radio..
MY HF Icom radios already come with a processor anyways..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.