• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Splain something to me lucy

And $1000 used :blush:

Say a limit of $500, what is a good ham unit that can also do a good job on 11m? Is there a good one that sort of shows up used regularly, like an older model that gets sold to purchase the latest and greatest?

Kenwood TS480. No known issues, remote head, the best TX and RX audio, the easiest to use HF mobile set, the quietest receiver. 100W with an ATU built in or 200W without an ATU

Hummm..... maybe maybe not..now damn it I has a maul around here somewhere.

Try this one.

hmmr7.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
And $1000 used :blush:

Say a limit of $500, what is a good ham unit that can also do a good job on 11m? Is there a good one that sort of shows up used regularly, like an older model that gets sold to purchase the latest and greatest?

TS480s are $1000 used in the USA? Bloody hell I think I'll start shipping some over.:w00t:

They're doing around $600 here for the 100W version.

$500. Unfortunately I don't know the USA market but I think you'd be looking at the Kenwood TS50, the Yaesu FT100D, Icom 706 for mobile sized stuff and the Kenwood TS450 for a more base station style radio.

I still don't get it so please someone explain it to me. You spend all that money for a "export" radio and you need to spend more just to make it work right, if you can find a good tech that is. You can get an Alinco, Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu twhere the mod is usually a switch, wire cut or diode removal to make it tx all bands and they are far better radios. Most of them will cost you just a few dollars more the the coveted "exports". I just don't see the appeal for exports.

I don't want a flame war just tell me you reasons for buying an export as opposed to a say ICOM 718.[/QUO

From one Ham operator to another, this might be one explanation to your inquiry. First off though I know you probably already know the answer to your own question, and I'm not trying to be a wise A$$, and if we were face to face instead of behind a computer screen we would be able to have this conversation, and would be able to see each other's expressions, and composure's, and would be able to have a real discussion, with the ability to talk to one another in a gentleman to gentleman format. I'm sure it would be a more concise discussion about the questions you have presented here.

I looked up the Icom 718, and found one on sale for $609.00. Nice little radio.
Then you have the Mars mod (wouldn't you need that?), a power supply, a auto antenna tuner. The cost of this would be a little over $900.00, and that without an antenna.

If you didn't need the Mars and all the other stuff I listed , the CB guy who wants to use this radio on 11 Meters is still going to have to bring it to a tech and get set up for 11m, and probably aligned. Isn't that like you say why do you buy a radio, and then just have to spend more money to get it to work right?

The Icom 718 won't fit in a vehicle like say a Galaxy,Stryker, connex or whatever would it?

I know most Hams who hate 11 meters would never use a roger beep, or echo, that most if not all export radios have, and that's exactly what a lot of Cb'ers want. Plus the fact they can buy one with 500 watts with no amp, and be loud. That Icom 718 won't do any of that will it? These export radio's are mostly less than $500.00. You would have to buy a antenna though. If they already had an antenna, they could get into 11m ssb, or am 11 pretty cheap, and don't these export radio's sound better on AM than most expensive Ham radio's?

Most Cb people could care less about a Ham radio, they don't want to take a test to get on the air, and they surly hate the protocol of Ham talk. They just want to get on the air and have some fun. Some guys who use these Export radios, from what I've heard really enjoy SSB, and treat it with more respect than their brethren on AM 11meters. Their not Hams , but they do use the same lingo, and most of them probably never use the RB, and Echo capability's of their radio, and they bought the radio from a shop, and then paid the normal fee of around $20.00- $30.00 to get it converted to have that 11m band. That's not to much to pay is it?

One last thing, is that why would a CB guy buy a Icom 718, or for that matter any other all band Hf Ham radio, if the only band he cared about was 11 meters? A lot of them would just get in Ham operators way more by improperly using that big multi bander on frequencies their not allowed to. Isn't it bad enough that some of them already abuse 10 meters on these radio's?

Just my two cents worth W9cll. Not trying to piss you off, just saying what I think as a Ham and Cb operator, and user of both a dedicated Ham radio, and a Export radio.

73 my friend.

I looked up the Icom 718, and found one on sale for $609.00. Nice little radio.
Then you have the Mars mod (wouldn't you need that?), a power supply, a auto antenna tuner. The cost of this would be a little over $900.00, and that without an antenna.
Don't need an ATU if you're just using it on 11m, don't need a PSU if you're going mobile.

If you didn't need the Mars and all the other stuff I listed , the CB guy who wants to use this radio on 11 Meters is still going to have to bring it to a tech and get set up for 11m, and probably aligned.
Other than the MARS mod there's no further alignment needed. From the factory they're certainly more accurate than the +/- 300Hz tolerance export radios have.

The Icom 718 won't fit in a vehicle like say a Galaxy,Stryker, connex or whatever would it?

However a Kenwood TS480 would and even better than a Galaxy etc.

I know most Hams who hate 11 meters would never use a roger beep, or echo, that most if not all export radios have, and that's exactly what a lot of Cb'ers want. Plus the fact they can buy one with 500 watts with no amp, and be loud. That Icom 718 won't do any of that will it?
Apart from the fact you don't need 500W yes it will if you use an amp. It'll drive an amp the same as a CB will.

and don't these export radio's sound better on AM than most expensive Ham radio's?
Only if you like booming distorted crap that nobody can understand.

One last thing, is that why would a CB guy buy a Icom 718, or for that matter any other all band Hf Ham radio, if the only band he cared about was 11 meters?

Better performance. I've done a lot of measuring of CB receivers and at -120 to -122dB you can no longer hear the tone generated by the RF signal generator. An amateur HF transceiver will go down another 10dB which means it can hear a signal 1/10th the strength of the weakest one a typical CB can. And then there's the internally generated noise. I have yet to find a CB with a receiver as quiet as a Kenwood on SSB. Finally build quality. If an amateur radio came out of the factory with a 300Hz tolerance on 10m you'd send it back as faulty.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.