• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Splain something to me lucy

I've owned around 5 of them over the years.

Which power mod?

QRP mod or the high power mod? If it's had the high power mod, I'd be Leary of it.

He said the high power mod and the Mars mod as well. Low power was 70 or 100 can't remember and high power was 170 watts that I do remember. Is it worth it or should I look into something different, I am also considering an RCI 2970N2. I like the kenwood and it looks well built but if the power mod makes it a problem then I will keep looking, may just get the 2970 for the heck of it. Any input on this radio???

Okay, got it. I will look at the alinco some more, is it easy to mod for 11 meter tx use?

W9cll, thanks for the video, that is truly a nice radio, how and what is needed to make the face detachable? Do you have to purchase that option kit? Or can you find them that come with the detachable face and cable? Thanks for all the info, someone locally also mentioned the yaseu ft101e, isn't that a full size radio though, don't know if it would fit right in a mobile. My space is kind of limited so the detachable face is an awesome feature. What would be total cost to run one of these radios? And what type antenna can you recommend, I will be using it for 11 meters only and currently run a sirio pl5000 performer on the mobile. What kind of antenna and what else is needed for a base setup as well. Sorry for all the questions and I really appreciate all the responses I am trying to get myself a good setup but not go over board at the same time, fortunately I have coax and connectors and tools. I just was into cb for so long and now that I am older I am starting to understand it's not all about having thousands of watts lol. Again thanks for all input and responses they are all very much appreciated sir. God bless.

Google is your friend!

For antenna any 11 meter one will work. I really don't follow 11 meters antennas any more so I am sure others out here can recomend some. You could build a simple dipole for about $25 and hang it in a tree. When conditions open up you could easily work the world on this antenna, of course any antenna when conditions are good any antenna will work.

Last edited:
I do have some pretty long runs of some #12 or 10 solid, I don't know as there are no markings, they were from an old fallen power pole, found them by chance lol.
I think I could make an antenna, just jave to get all the parts together, I travel a lot and am not home very often, so the time I am home most is spent recouping or being with my kids. I will get it done eventually, just want to do it right and do it once. I am going to put a decent base station together someday, it's just a matter if time. I do appreciate all the help and information. God bless.

Read this with some interest. What about an Icom 706mkIIG ? How would this be as a durable all band radio? Any known issues?

Kenwood TS480. No known issues, remote head, the best TX and RX audio, the easiest to use HF mobile set, the quietest receiver. 100W with an ATU built in or 200W without an ATU

I still don't get it so please someone explain it to me. You spend all that money for a "export" radio and you need to spend more just to make it work right, if you can find a good tech that is. You can get an Alinco, Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu twhere the mod is usually a switch, wire cut or diode removal to make it tx all bands and they are far better radios. Most of them will cost you just a few dollars more the the coveted "exports". I just don't see the appeal for exports.

I don't want a flame war just tell me you reasons for buying an export as opposed to a say ICOM 718.

I have never liked the "export" type radios myself. The only time I talk on one is when I give it an over the air test after I finish working on it.
But myself when I do talk on 11 meters 90 % of the time I use a cobra 29 with NO mods. And no amplifier. At other times I use my D201, Browning, Cobra 2000, and my Midland 13-898B. Now I have fired up a FT-101 a few times but the above mentioned radios do everything I need.

I been in radio since I was 12. Never really understood what the fuss was about export radios when they came on the seen. A radio doing 40 plus watts will not be any difference in a radio doing 12 on the other end. Unless you count distortion. But that is just my opinion and results from my test equipment.

Now dont get me wrong. I am not knocking anyone that uses these and I have heard some nice sounding stations on the air.
Use what you want and what you are happy with.

You can get an Alinco, Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu twhere the mod is usually a switch, wire cut or diode removal to make it tx all bands and they are far better radios.

So right, the builders of yasucomwood radios would never let a radio go that had not been fully tested and all the bugs worked out.
That is why the internet is full of user groups that work on fixes to blown pa finals, pumping agc controls, rf feedback problems, overheating....the list is endless.

Did you ever wonder why the builders of yasucomwood designed these radios to have a mod that is usually a switch, wire cut or diode removal to make it tx all bands.

Please, if the builders of these radio claim that they are not aware that there radios are being used on the CB band as hobby radios, they are lying to you.
Really.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
Wow AS I had to go back and re-read what I wrote. I agree that the mfg's know the mods are there and leave them there. All my point was if your going to spend 200, 300 or 400 on a export why not buy a ham rig. In general they are better radios. I just know that if I was to get back into 11 meters I would not purchase a Stryker, Ranger, Optima of any of the plethora of models out.

Wow AS I had to go back and re-read what I wrote. I agree that the mfg's know the mods are there and leave them there. All my point was if your going to spend 200, 300 or 400 on a export why not buy a ham rig. In general they are better radios. I just know that if I was to get back into 11 meters I would not purchase a Stryker, Ranger, Optima of any of the plethora of models out.

But....but.....but.....What about THIS post?

http://www.worldwidedx.com/general-...worked-world-100-watts-less-7.html#post465539

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.