• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Splain something to me lucy

Presuming you want a HF ham rig for conversion to CB use? Look at a Kenwood TS-2000 or an Icom 706MKIIG. You'll pay dearly for one. Not worth it for only 11M use. Plus on the Kenwood it's surface mount technology....hope you're up for that.

Oh, and most exports come with roger beep or echo...or both....in addition to more power. The things CB operators love.

I still don't get it so please someone explain it to me. You spend all that money for a "export" radio and you need to spend more just to make it work right, if you can find a good tech that is. You can get an Alinco, Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu twhere the mod is usually a switch, wire cut or diode removal to make it tx all bands and they are far better radios. Most of them will cost you just a few dollars more the the coveted "exports". I just don't see the appeal for exports.

I don't want a flame war just tell me you reasons for buying an export as opposed to a say ICOM 718.

Uh ..........
I got nuthin :unsure:

Presuming you want a HF ham rig for conversion to CB use? Look at a Kenwood TS-2000 or an Icom 706MKIIG. You'll pay dearly for one. Not worth it for only 11M use. Plus on the Kenwood it's surface mount technology....hope you're up for that.

Oh, and most exports come with roger beep or echo...or both....in addition to more power. The things CB operators love.

Agreed but something like the Alinco Sr8T is just a wire cut and a cpu reset. I agree about the surface mount stuff and in my younger days no problem but there are options. It's a much older radio but the Icom 720A is just a "yellow" wire cut and cpu reset as well.

My 706 will all band tx and no I didn't do that, it came that way from the guy I bought it from. A ts2000? yeah thats a 1k rig still in the used market although I do know where I can get the "B" model, the computer controlled one for $500.

I bought one when they first came out. Nice rig for the money, now anyways. I paid $650 for mine @ Universal. They slashed the price a few months later.

I sold it to a friend. He still has it and it still sounds great. I just didn't care for the plastic, floppy woppy encoder shaft. I do like the punchy transmit audio.

W9cll, I have found a used kenwood ts-50 with a non kenwood antenna tuner for about 375. I was told it had had the MARS mod as well as the power mod done and can tx and rx from 1-160mhz I believe, is this a good start up hf radio? Any replies are very much appreciated sir thanks much for your time. God bless.

Although I have never owned a Ts-50 I have heard good things about them, Kenwood makes nice stuff. The Mars mod will give you all band TX (yes 11 meters). The price sounds good.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.