• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SSB Traffic

Bluecat

Sep 22, 2018
I'm in the market for a new radio and was wondering if it is worth spending the extra money for one with SSB is worth it. Do alot of people talk on SSB. Thanks

Reactions: Rwb

Welcome to the forum Bluecat , I myself prefer SSB . But I like to talk a lot of DX but as of late Zip,Zilch ,Nada on that . I get lucky once in a while and catch some operators chatting about 45 miles away on SSB that's were it helps ( that extra output ) . But lately I find myself chatting on Am. Just bite the bullet now and buy one with SSB . It will cost you a few $'s more but IMO it's worth it . Check out a Uniden 980 , nice little SSB radio for the $ .;):)

I use sideband to chat with distant friends.and when skip rolls its interesting to talk across the usa.i got 4 ssb radios n cant seem to want a straight am radio. Dont buy cheepie or the best but a good middle of the road radio

My first radio was an SSB radio when I was 14. That was 41 years ago. IThe only time I ever went to AM was when a couple friends of mine were on and they didn't have SSB. ALL my DXing has been on SSB. haven't been on 11m in over 25 years but now on ham 99.99% of my time is on SSB.It's a few extra $$ for a BIG difference IMHO.

There are only a few SSB channels for DX, 38LSB and a few channels around it. The rest seem to be AM when the skip is rolling in. That being said, the side band operators often conduct themselves like they are on a ham band. I find it interesting and often switch back and forth between the AM and SSB channels depending on what mood I am in.

There are only a few SSB channels for DX, 38LSB and a few channels around it. The rest seem to be AM when the skip is rolling in. That being said, the side band operators often conduct themselves like they are on a ham band. I find it interesting and often switch back and forth between the AM and SSB channels depending on what mood I am in.
I had the habit of saying,"Back to you" when I finished a sentence and somebody came on and called me an old timer. Well I do resemble that.

No sideband activity these days in my local area...not even much AM. Most of my talking on SSB ends up me talking to myself unless some skip is rolling.

To answer your question...I would get one with SSB capability. Not many additional $'s and you will be way cooler to your friends. (y)

Reactions: Rwb and 357magnum
What is AM?(Kidding)

There is only one radio here that not SSB. I've been doing SSB since the TRC-47 was still expensive.
trc47.jpg

Reactions: Rwb and 357magnum
People still use AM?
I get your sarcasm, but myself as an old time ham endorser of SSB, I still won’t leave home on a trip without being tuned to Ch19 AM. Until the truckers give up that mode and don’t expect that to happen anytime soon, Ch 19 AM remains the best source for nearby traffic accident reports and the alternative detours around them. While you’re staled in stop and go traffic wondering what going on up ahead or what lane to be in, thanks to the truckers, I’ll be moving steady along on some parallel route.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated