• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

STOP BUYING EXPORT CB TYPE SSB TRANSCEIVERS

CB and ham aren't that much different these days. There is some animosity between the 2 groups because some have had bad experiences with operators on the other side of the fence. Most of us just enjoy radio and don't care what you do as long as you aren't causing problems.

I'm glad that guy made the video. I had saw this happen but never had an explanation for it. People that had spent good money on these radios just wrote it off as a bad tune up or something else wrong with my radio....or that I was just a crazy person spreading lies.

Why would I be shouted at for being HAM?

That's what I meant by bad experiences. That guy may have ran across a ham with a bad attitude at some point so he hates them all. He thought you were one of them and shouted at you....who knows for sure.

Probably figured my accent from the deep south of England required a bit of his attention. when they fling me abuse, I smile. thats all i can do.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Robb,
The spur I'm referring to is a small spur that shows up in the 10M band when the radio is put on a spectrum analyzer. It's caused by a poorly designed mixing scheme.

Here's a video on this issue.

I checked this for validity, and he's right on the button with it. I show a small spur on the 10M voice band. The radios I used were a Galaxy 99 and a Galaxy 95T.

Hope this helps.

(Edit) The Superstar 360FM is the same basic board as the Galaxy 77/88/99. No bueno. (n)

~Cheers~

I watched the video. Interesting. So; does a CB not have a harmonic 50db down as well? Did you check for that? Or is it because of the design of the board? If not; how is it filtered out of a CB chassis?
Thanks!

A CB doesn't have this problem from what I've seen, due to the band pass filtering system that's in place after the final. It's designed not to pass RF very easily at 10M (There's also a tuning slug in most older radios that helps control emissions at 54mhz).

Also the mixing scheme on most older CB's are different than the newer ones. A lot of the older radios use the 7.8mhz IF while the newer export radios use the 10.695mhz setup as described in the video.

The combination of the 10.695mhz mixing scheme plus the band pass filtering being setup from factory to pass full emissions @10m is what can cause this 10M spur to show up.

I have checked CB's for this and I haven't had a CB exhibit this issue.

~Cheers~

Last edited:
I totally forget that both my rigs are exports. They were both purchased at CB Stop on 84st and 16ave BK NY (Millie.)
Then exported to NJ.
My bad. I do like exports! 20170813_050334.jpg

Reactions: Limeybastard
Robb,
The spur I'm referring to is a small spur that shows up in the 10M band when the radio is put on a spectrum analyzer. It's caused by a poorly designed mixing scheme.

Here's a video on this issue.

I checked this for validity, and he's right on the button with it. I show a small spur on the 10M voice band. The radios I used were a Galaxy 99 and a Galaxy 95T.

Hope this helps.

(Edit) The Superstar 360FM is the same basic board as the Galaxy 77/88/99. No bueno. (n)

~Cheers~

Thanks for sharing this clip Robb.
Even with my lack of knowledge and understanding of the items that make our hobby possible, I totally understood the clip and what the gentleman who made it was out to prove.
The clip is educational on three levels. 1. He does the math. 2. Shows it happening on an analyzer. 3. We get to see it and hear it on his transceiver.
I'm sure there will be somebody who will find a reason to argue that the test was invalid for one reason or another. Either way it was very convincing. It kind of made a case for a mars modified HF over a 10 meter black box (modified) transceiver. What the hell, either choice is breaking the law why not keep it clean while doing so. Going with the choice that's not going to bother a 10 meter operator is a good idea. Thanks again. 73 PS. I'm not a ham but definitely understand why someone who's taken the time to earn the right to operate on those affected frequencies might be upset.

I didn't look but I believe at least 3 of the 4 you saw are brand new and might come from over seas. Defeneyly wouldn't purchase anything from another country. If I'm gonna buy new I'll stay in the states. HRO or any of the big sellers. 73

HUH? There are now 5 FTDX 1200's there, All of them are used and all of them are in the continental 48.
BTW...............All Yaesus do come from "overseas", including the new ones @ HRO.

Reactions: NZ8N
HUH? There are now 5 FTDX 1200's there, All of them are used and all of them are in the continental 48.
BTW...............All Yaesus do come from "overseas", including the new ones @ HRO.
You must have the other eBay. When it was called Craigslist. 73

I purchased a Kenwood 440 for $200 in full working condition. Bought off of craigslist and requested the operator test it. Verified power output am, FM, SSB, CW, and FSK. I took along a Frequency Counter and checked if it was on frequency. All good.
All of that for less than the cost of an export CB. Does the Kenwood do CB band? I don't know and don't care if it doesn't. I run my Yaesu ft-857 and a cobra 19 when going on a trip. I learned to keep my microphones separated and to look at them before transmitting.

I purchased a Kenwood 440 for $200 in full working condition. Bought off of craigslist and requested the operator test it. Verified power output am, FM, SSB, CW, and FSK. I took along a Frequency Counter and checked if it was on frequency. All good.
All of that for less than the cost of an export CB. Does the Kenwood do CB band? I don't know and don't care if it doesn't. I run my Yaesu ft-857 and a cobra 19 when going on a trip. I learned to keep my microphones separated and to look at them before transmitting.
Good buy. 440 is a solid transceiver.

Reactions: NZ8N and Tallman
... Most of us just enjoy radio and don't care what you do as long as you aren't causing problems.

.....or that I was just a crazy person spreading lies.

I have a nearby business using CB CH19 M -F 7AM _ 5PM, they cause interference on 28.080, a freq that I use quite a lot.

After politely informing them about the problem they were causing and getting a FU type answer, I sent them a registered mail letter and stated the problems again.

there was no cessation of the interference.

A copy of the letter and proof of delivery from the post office was sent to Laura Smith and 3 weeks later, they "got a visit". the illegal interference stopped.

They are still on CH 19, but, it seems that they are now using different radios that do not TX in the Amateur bands. for some reason, their signals are not as strong either.

Thanks for sharing this clip Robb.
Even with my lack of knowledge and understanding of the items that make our hobby possible, I totally understood the clip and what the gentleman who made it was out to prove.
The clip is educational on three levels. 1. He does the math. 2. Shows it happening on an analyzer. 3. We get to see it and hear it on his transceiver.
I'm sure there will be somebody who will find a reason to argue that the test was invalid for one reason or another. Either way it was very convincing. It kind of made a case for a mars modified HF over a 10 meter black box (modified) transceiver. What the hell, either choice is breaking the law why not keep it clean while doing so. Going with the choice that's not going to bother a 10 meter operator is a good idea. Thanks again. 73 PS. I'm not a ham but definitely understand why someone who's taken the time to earn the right to operate on those affected frequencies might be upset.
The ones who would try to discredit a study like this probably do not understand the new radio designs.

I have a nearby business using CB CH19 M -F 7AM _ 5PM, they cause interference on 28.080, a freq that I use quite a lot.

After politely informing them about the problem they were causing and getting a FU type answer, I sent them a registered mail letter and stated the problems again.

there was no cessation of the interference.

A copy of the letter and proof of delivery from the post office was sent to Laura Smith and 3 weeks later, they "got a visit". the illegal interference stopped.

They are still on CH 19, but, it seems that they are now using different radios that do not TX in the Amateur bands. for some reason, their signals are not as strong either.
I'll wager that they were running a Linear on the base station.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated