• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

STOP BUYING EXPORT CB TYPE SSB TRANSCEIVERS

Or perhaps calling CQ and using the phonetic alphabet?
That's pretty much a dead giveaway. :cautious:

Be kinda like wearing slacks and wing tipped shoes to a rodeo. :p

Last edited:
Robb,
The spur I'm referring to is a small spur that shows up in the 10M band when the radio is put on a spectrum analyzer. It's caused by a poorly designed mixing scheme.

Here's a video on this issue.

I checked this for validity, and he's right on the button with it. I show a small spur on the 10M voice band. The radios I used were a Galaxy 99 and a Galaxy 95T.

Hope this helps.

ExitThirteen, Is an old 148 GTL-DX (MK1 or MK2) using (16MHz?I.F. 10.695/455) going to have the same issues as an RCI export? Circuit Board PB010 Vs EPT3600, the Uniden made export should be a clean rig in my eyes but I've never gotten one to check it out.

(Edit) The Superstar 360FM is the same basic board as the Galaxy 77/88/99. No bueno. (n)

~Cheers~
Do you think the Uniden Multimode Export w/MC145106 PLL, PB010 chassis
Cobra 148GTL-DX (late), President Richard, Superstar 360FM going to be as "spurious" as EPT3600 R.C.I. exports (DX66v 88HL)? If the mixing scheme is indeed the same, then I could see how that is cause for concern.

Best Regards

Last edited:
I purchased a Kenwood 440 for $200 in full working condition. Bought off of craigslist and requested the operator test it. Verified power output am, FM, SSB, CW, and FSK. I took along a Frequency Counter and checked if it was on frequency. All good.
All of that for less than the cost of an export CB. Does the Kenwood do CB band? I don't know and don't care if it doesn't. I run my Yaesu ft-857 and a cobra 19 when going on a trip. I learned to keep my microphones separated and to look at them before transmitting.

Is that the Kenwood which allows users to transmit over drive thru restaurants?

ExitThirteen, Is an old 148 GTL-DX (MK1 or MK2) using (16MHz?I.F. 10.695/455) going to have the same issues as an RCI export? Circuit Board PB010 Vs EPT3600, the Uniden made export should be a clean rig in my eyes but I've never gotten one to check it out.

Do you think the Uniden Multimode Export w/MC145106 PLL, PB010 chassis
Cobra 148GTL-DX (late), President Richard, Superstar 360FM going to be as "spurious" as EPT3600 R.C.I. exports (DX66v 88HL)? If it is really the same "guts", I could see how that'd be.
Depends on who "tunes" it. Lots can be done to clean them up.

Reactions: LeapFrog
when you pay for my exports.
you can tell what to buy. get off your high horse. stop telling people what to buy. i have 2 ham radios several 10 meter radios.

Please wait for exitthirteens answer.
I'm just spewing Koo Koo thoughts. Exitthirteen is someone with true knowledge.

I'm quite sure you think that but for those of us who have some actual knowledge I would say that the opposite is true.

That's why I'm a big advocate of running a real CB or an HF rig on 11M.

ROFLMFAO. Bleats on about bandpass filters like he's an authority and that a 10m export used on 11m will have spurs on 10m because of a lack of a bandpass filter, says to use HF rigs on 11m which won't have a bandpass filter for the 11m band. In fact only when you start to get to mid-high end amateur HF radios do you start to see band pass filters for the amateur bands and even then it may not be for every single band.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
And how much would all that cost including the 148?
I could be wrong but if that's true one's degrading the rigs performance putting items inside a rig that wasn't built for them. You left out the fan/fans a dual final frequency counter a 148 would most likely need..
Even if I am incorrect, after the cost of mods, one could get an excellent t's 440.
Yes it's 30 years old but I see them recapped and aligned for what a modified export goes for.
Maybe cheaper.
I'm fairly sure you do all you own work and that's great but many of us can't. I'd take the t's 440 any day over an export.
Exports usually have bells and whistles I myself think are toys. Not to mention a waste of space extra heat devices.
TalkBack? Why is that even an option? Rodger beep. Another wast imo. It's all about preference Robb. And we obviously have different ones, and that's cool.
It makes the word a less boring place. 73

I did buy an export radio. It is a Kenwood TS-590SG. Last US company was Ten Tec. Now, no more US manufactures.

ROFLMFAO. Bleats on about bandpass filters like he's an authority and that a 10m export used on 11m will have spurs on 10m because of a lack of a bandpass filter, says to use HF rigs on 11m which won't have a bandpass filter for the 11m band. In fact only when you start to get to mid-high end amateur HF radios do you start to see band pass filters for the amateur bands and even then it may not be for every single band.

Want a cookie?

Now, go re-read my post at #20. I do say I don't recommend it. But if I had to choose between an export and an HF rig, HF rig all the way.

Yep, I understand that there isn't any bandpass filtering on 11M in HF rigs. But neither is the problematic mixing scheme that is described in the video. Bet an HF rig doesn't produce the spur on 10M. Don't believe me? Well, why don't you take two of your HF rigs, put them side by side, and check it out, along with putting it on a spectrum analyzer. If it does produce a spur, let's see some video on it. Prove me wrong instead of hopping on your little soapbox.

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated