• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

STOP BUYING EXPORT CB TYPE SSB TRANSCEIVERS

Do ticket holders actually purchase these exports? Are they viable for the frequencies in which they were built for? I can't imagine anyone on 10m using TalkBack, Echo, Rodger beeps etc etc etc
But I don't go up there. Not even to listen. So I couldn't say what goes on there.
I have heard some frequencies are for Mad Men Out of Control but for the most part ticket holders operate within the parameters and the way one should be expected to launch day get their tickets.

The CB / Export radio crowd could be summarized into a couple of types of operators and no one type of export/ham radio is going to be a perfect fit for all those users. People are going to buy a radio that fits their needs and has the features and price point that fits their budget.

I think this original post is aimed at the type of CB/Freeband hobby oriented members we have on this forum. You have to keep in mind that there are many operators out there that have vastly different habits/requirements than we do for radios. The very reason export radios such as the Stryker 955 exist is because there is a huge market of people who want the look and features of that type of radio rather than a ham radio.

Also, while the idea of helping new members learn from our mistakes is great, it doesn't mean that jumping straight to a ham radio is the best plan for everyone. The CB ---> Export --->Ham radio buying/selling process is actually a great transition for many people to make as they learn and progress in the hobby.

Now there are many people who keep buying exports and are constantly disappointed and are looking for more out of their radios, and in those cases jumping from a CB to a ham radio is definitely a less costly route.

If talking on the radio and making contacts is what you like to do then it doesn't really matter what radio you use as long as you are happy and enjoying what you are doing. But if you like doing it all with an echo, then an export is still probably your best bet :)

Do ticket holders actually purchase these exports? Are they viable for the frequencies in which they were built for

I just did last month. I went with the RCI2970N2. These are more like real HF radios than the Galaxies and Connex's.

These work fine on 10 meters and the frequency seems to be stable. I had an older 2950 that had a PL tone board so I could acess repeaters. I should have kept that one.

I own 2 chipswitched HR2600's. Since these are aging, I don't want to use them anymore especially mobile. So I see the RCI 2900 series radio's as the closest replacement in terms of quality for what they are. I tried the Chinese Lincoln 2 and I didn't like it.

I not sure if I want recap my old President radio's or sell them. Still debating.

Elecraft is made in U.S.A. that can buy already built or as a kit but it won't work on 11 meters very good just my two cents.
Finest radio out there I say. I recently purchased their KAT-5OO auto-tuner and worth every penny.

But is it an oxymoron to say it's American made wth Asian components?

It's true to say they're an American company and assembled in America or can be assembled as a kit by anyone anywhere.

I just did last month. I went with the RCI2970N2. These are more like real HF radios than the Galaxies and Connex's.

These work fine on 10 meters and the frequency seems to be stable. I had an older 2950 that had a PL tone board so I could acess repeaters. I should have kept that one.

I own 2 chipswitched HR2600's. Since these are aging, I don't want to use them anymore especially mobile. So I see the RCI 2900 series radio's as the closest replacement in terms of quality for what they are. I tried the Chinese Lincoln 2 and I didn't like it.

I not sure if I want recap my old President radio's or sell them. Still debating.
I thought you recently picked up an
AT-6666?

Honestly, that roger beep is bullshit. Turned mine off after noticing how irrating it can be. But the Stryker echo, wowzer ;-) ! LOL

What's this reverb thing you're referring to?

Some ameatur operators use external audio gear for essb. They are transmitting wideband audio on ssb which I don't agree with to to begin with. Some of them use effects processors to add some reverb.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated