• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Storm Killed my Quad.

So a freak storm came through and broke my Signal engineering 6 element Quad. Decided not to fix it as I did in the past, and try the Maco M107 Yagi. I have some loose end to tie up but I am happy with the install. I hope the M107 is a performer. There is an Imax on top, and a 2meter GP Just below the M107.

Attachments

• Quad.jpg
    Quad.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 242
  • M107b.jpg
    M107b.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 225
  • M107a.jpg
    M107a.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 251
  • M107.jpg
    M107.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 221

Yeah, those quads can be mechanical nightmares. I think you will be much happier with the yagi.

When I was 14, I built a 20 meter quad out of wood and bamboo fishing poles. Varnished it all up, it was a thing of beauty. Until northeastern Ohio's cruel winter took it down.

First DX I worked on it was CE0AE on Easter Island. What a thrill that was!

Reactions: 1 person
That is a nice looking antenna farm. thanks for the pics.

So you have some spare quad hubs and fiberglass spreaders???

Interested in your comparison of the performance. I am thinking of buying a 4 element Lightning Quad

DX hound let's see how drifter replies to the question but I can reply using my own comparisons of Quad VS yagi.

I did not have the six element but instead the four element. All antennas home brewed.

The Quad was quieter than the yagi. The closed loop configuration was the reason for it being quiet, less static build up.

The performance? Less fading on the Quad on DX, as the polarization will
flip flop back and forth vertical, horizontal etc etc on received signals the Quad had a slight advantage over the yagi.

On TX? Basically the same on TX strength. Talking to locals for test purposes.

Summarize, the Quad is my preferred antenna, but I use yagi's because the Quad is a nightmare to construct and keep in the air.

As the picture shows, it is not if the quad gets broke it is WHEN it gets broke.

I see your mast bent also. What did you use this time. I used 1026 dom. Give us a comparison of the quad vrs the yagi after you have used the yagi for abit. Your new antenna looks nice. Sorry about the quad. Peace!

That is a nice looking antenna farm. thanks for the pics.

So you have some spare quad hubs and fiberglass spreaders???
Yes I do. I am thinking about selling If I can figure out how to package and ship. If the you can aluminum solder the beam can be fixed.. or reduced to a 4element. I ran over one of the element wire with the lawn mower and weed whacker.

The Quad was quieter than the yagi. The closed loop configuration was the reason for it being quiet, less static build up./QUOTE]

Antennas are not capacitors, they do not "store" static.

Another antenna myth. Static or noise is RF, just like the signal you intend to listen to. If the static is down, it is either because the antenna has less gain or because the antennas pattern is nulling out the offending noise in a certain direction. A "closed loop" antenna does not short out static. If it did, it would short out the signal too.

This is why Beverage antennas are "quiet". They actually have "negative gain" and are very sharp antennas in the direction the wire is run, nulling out noise broadside to the array.

The Quad was quieter than the yagi./QUOTE]

Antennas are not capacitors, they do not "store" static.

Another antenna myth. Static or noise is RF, just like the signal you intend to listen to. If the static is down, it is either because the antenna has less gain or because the antennas pattern is nulling out the offending noise in a certain direction. A "closed loop" antenna does not short out static. If it did, it would short out the signal too.

This is why Beverage antennas are "quiet". They actually have "negative gain" and are very sharp antennas in the direction the wire is run, nulling out noise broadside to the array.

myth??? , quads ARE quieter than yagi's, ever heard of P-static or corona effect?:pop:

"A quad can be quieter under conditions where the antenna is involved in "precipitation static", because it does not generally have the "pointed ends" sticking well out from the tower like a yagi.

It is also less subject to corona from the high impedance parts of the elements, where such corona does the most damage to receiving. " (quote from W8JI)

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.