• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

stryker antennas

Has anyone ever tested a bunch of these antennas head to head in the same mounting position? EG, get someone like 15 miles away running a videogate on the S meter and then switch between say a predator, a Wilson 5K, and a stryker, etc.... Or perhaps even further away, because a difference in signal would be more noticeable.

I've run old school wilsons for years because of the WX resistance, but am open to trying different things especially outside of the winter. I had a big coil penetrator" many years ago but after I got it replaced when I shattered the delrin rod in it from hitting something, I didnt put the replacement one back on the car.... Unfortunately at the time I had not enough time to do any kind of measurements.

Yeah I ordered one for a guy and got one without the lights. He found out about the light-up one and came back raising hell at me about it. I asked him if he could see it sitting in the truck talking on it but he didn’t like that too good.

I took it back. Ordered him a novelty one and he was happy. Some people are easy to satisfy...and amuse I guess.

Man. How can you stir the pot if everyone knows it’s you?

Drilled the WM452 microphone case back, got the exact amount reverb & echo aggravation RIGHT with the robot voice . . . the whole thing is changed over in minutes.

Drilled the WM452 microphone case back, got the exact amount reverb & echo aggravation RIGHT with the robot voice . . . the whole thing is changed over in minutes.

Explain. Do you mean how can I openly state my opinion without fear of someone reading it? A novelty is just that, my thoughts and opinions doesn’t define it or make it so, it just is. If you came to me in that same situation I’d tell you the same thing, the light-up option doesn’t effect the performance one way or another.

I’d order you a light-up antenna also if that’s what you wanted. I wouldn’t be rude to you however, just as I wasn’t rude to him. My job isn’t to talk to into or out of any item/merchandise, I only offer my opinions/thoughts when ask.

Reactions: 357magnum
Has anyone ever tested a bunch of these antennas head to head in the same mounting position? EG, get someone like 15 miles away running a videogate on the S meter and then switch between say a predator, a Wilson 5K, and a stryker, etc.... Or perhaps even further away, because a difference in signal would be more noticeable.

I've run old school wilsons for years because of the WX resistance, but am open to trying different things especially outside of the winter. I had a big coil penetrator" many years ago but after I got it replaced when I shattered the delrin rod in it from hitting something, I didnt put the replacement one back on the car.... Unfortunately at the time I had not enough time to do any kind of measurements.
I think this was the first article I read that actually made me think about anything other than height and swr. There is some interesting data, and good start for understanding some differences.

http://www.copperelectronics.com/articles/big_coil_antennas_exposed.php

I think this was the first article I read that actually made me think about anything other than height and swr. There is some interesting data, and good start for understanding some differences.

http://www.copperelectronics.com/articles/big_coil_antennas_exposed.php
Only thing with that article is it's a little flawed the way they are lumping all the Big Coil antennas together with the the base loaded and fiberglass antennas, making it sound like the Big Coil antennas are not all that efficient...If you look, all the antennas they tested were 5' antennas...They didn't test the taller antennas like the single-coil Predator 10K or the Monkey Made MM-9 or MM-5...

So the only thing that article really does, is show how all 5.5 ft. antennas are pretty close to the same in performance...well-Yeah, they are all about the same height! And not sure, it's been a while since I read the whole write-up, but another reason folks go for the large-open coiled antennas is for the power handling capabilities...True, not that many people going to be running 10,000 watts threw one, but not all that un-command for guys to be running a few thousand watts...

As for the 9' whip...Yes, if you can mount one of those on the roof of your truck and not be bothered by it constantly banging every bridge you drive under, then YES, that would be a better choice than any of the Big Coiled antennas...but most people find that to annoying and mount the whips on the sides of fenders or on bumpers which causes the antenna not to be as efficient as a shorter antenna mounted on the roof...

To each their own...think I'll stick to what I know works the best and keep my single coil Predator 10K right where it's at roof top tall and getting out all over the city and walking the dog in DX...but thats just me.

Last edited:
Explain. Do you mean how can I openly state my opinion without fear of someone reading it? A novelty is just that, my thoughts and opinions doesn’t define it or make it so, it just is. If you came to me in that same situation I’d tell you the same thing, the light-up option doesn’t effect the performance one way or another.

I’d order you a light-up antenna also if that’s what you wanted. I wouldn’t be rude to you however, just as I wasn’t rude to him. My job isn’t to talk to into or out of any item/merchandise, I only offer my opinions/thoughts when ask.

Instead of “you”, is, “how can one stir the pot” better phrased?

How does one’s opinion matter in a sale? Buyer wants it, he gets it.

What makes TX lites funny —2019 or 1979 — is that there is zero anonymity. Blame that guy even if he isn’t the culprit. He still gets the blame. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.

Oh exactly, that’s what I meant about it not being my job to talk him either way. I know him on a personal level though, so I talked smack to him like I did.

If I didn’t have that relationship with him then by all means, I wouldn’t have said a word other than “I’ll get you one that lights up”.

It’s not about me, it’s about the consumer.

I don't think you'ld notice a difference on a radio meter. A field strength meter 50 yards out would be a better test. My money it's a cunt hair difference.

Oh exactly, that’s what I meant about it not being my job to talk him either way. I know him on a personal level though, so I talked smack to him like I did.

If I didn’t have that relationship with him then by all means, I wouldn’t have said a word other than “I’ll get you one that lights up”.

It’s not about me, it’s about the consumer.

Yes, and in the general sense of buy/sell we are now using, it DOES occur that some men have the wit to defeat common expectations. When they do, it’s lesson to (me) the rest of us.

The world of trucker CB has some funny stories. Getting caught out having forgotten LIT SIGNAL LAMPS is a worthy category.

A decade or two back were tennis shoes that lit up at the heel with a heel strike. A police officer hardly known for foot pursuit of teenage malefactors was asked how he had made a difficult pursuit & arrest. His answer was that he only needed to stay close enough to see the flashing lights.

Had to leave this post before finishing. The idea that one now has available aggravation at one’s fingertips after careful prep (have heard evidence plenty of times) would certainly backfire with a separate infatuation with TX lights.

The “justice deserved” aspect.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.