• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

stryker repair

Well I found out where my noise is comming from. Pretty quiet now. Goes to show never to compare radios. I was getting fuel pump noise. I threw up a wilson 500 magmount on the roof and eliminated the noise. I guess my Cobra 140 GTL ( DTB tunned) is filtered better beacause it never picked up the fuel pump noise...

yep, its a shame with most newer radios the noise they pick up
because there not worried about filtering it out.
course if your taking a 10 meter radio and Converting it for 11 meter band,its going to get noise because it wasn't filtered for 11 meters.
but even the newer 11 meter CB radios are kinda making the filtering cheaper for some reason...but I do Admit, at least cobra stays on top of it with NB,ANl filtering...

DCowboys said:
Well I found out where my noise is comming from. Pretty quiet now. Goes to show never to compare radios. I was getting fuel pump noise. I threw up a wilson 500 magmount on the roof and eliminated the noise. I guess my Cobra 140 GTL ( DTB tunned) is filtered better beacause it never picked up the fuel pump noise...

That is very strange! You really should have little to no difference
in the noise you pick up over the air between a hard mount
and a magnet mount antenna.

Librium said:
That is very strange! You really should have little to no difference
in the noise you pick up over the air between a hard mount
and a magnet mount antenna.

That's because the original mount is on the trunk closer to the fuel pump. Not going to put ferrite chokes on the line because I would have to drop the tank down.

ya sometimes dropping a tank can lead to bigger issues..
but if its a newer auto..let me tell you its well worth it,
even if you can craw under the auto and get them wrapped close to the pump will be a great improvement..
hell I have a ford van and there the worst with fuel pump noise
both pumps on it BTW!
but wrapping 2 inline about 2 foot away killed 90% of the noise.
the only noise I hear now is from passing by dish systems transmitting or super duper alarm systems...and of course the woman in the chair next to me..but I can choke her alright :p
.............................................................:lol

i used to drive a ford taurus, and used a wilson 1000 on a trunk lip mount.

the fuel pump noise was about s-5 worth.

really noisy!

i changed out the stock coax to LMR240, which is double shielded.
brought the noise down to s-1.

moved the antenna to the roof, and hard mounted it.
noise was GONE!!!
just a suggestion of what worked for me.

i am SOLD on LMR coax.
i now run lmr240 in the mobile and lmr400 on the base.
i'll never go back; i have seen the difference.
loosecannon

Reactions: 222DBFL
it is the same size as RG-8x. (mini)

i think the measurement is .242", but i cant remember for sure.

gotta be careful about kinking it, but it really works great.
loosecannon

unless the antenna is designed to use the coax as part of the radiating system, like some firestik antennas are, then the coax length should not matter.

think about it like this; coaxial cables job is to get an RF signal from one place to another without radiating that signal.

if changing the length of your coax changes the antenna tuning, then that says that the coax has become part of the radiating system and is not doing its job.
that says there is a problem with the antenna system.

i run a wilson 1000.
it had a very low SWR with the stock coax on it. like 1.2 to 1.
i changed the coax out to LMR240, and only needed about 11 feet of coax for my install, so thats how much i used.
my SWR is still 1.2 to 1.

if the antenna is not designed to use the coax as part of the radiating system, and the antenna is installed properly, and is working properly, the coax length should not matter.

the 18 foot coax thing is an old CB myth perpetuated by CB dealers to truckers.
loosecannon

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned