• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

stryker repair

I run my Stryker 955HP at 4 ~ 6 watts dead key on the am side. When I switch to SSB, I do not turn it up. Because I do run an amp behind it ........
I had to replace the finals in it twice within the first three months I had it. Same output deadkey.
Since the second time I replaced the finals (FQP 13N10 Mosfets), it has been running good with no more issues.

Mosfets are not very forgiving if your antenna system is not right. I would get that squared away or you will keep smoking finals.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I run my Stryker 955HP at 4 ~ 6 watts dead key on the am side. When I switch to SSB, I do not turn it up. Because I do run an amp behind it ........
I had to replace the finals in it twice within the first three months I had it. Same output deadkey.
Since the second time I replaced the finals (FQP 13N10 Mosfets), it has been running good with no more issues.

Yes. The 955 in AM mode, is a max 10 watt dead key radio. Swings to 40+ watts PEP safely. No blown finals so far into a well matched antenna. Run into my HD Comp 4 pill yields 1.7-2.0 SWR. I see on the schematic that it is a one, driving one, driving two.

So what is the problem and fix with with talk back turned off and still coming over external speaker on a 955HP?

Sounds like RF on your coax getting back into the radio and causing some feedback. Check your antenna setup like said, before you continue using the radio. JMHO. As said, most MOSFET export radios don't like a bad match. This could be from bad impedance match, VSWR issues, CMC issues on your coax. Try placing some snap on ferrite chokes at the feedpoint of the antenna and also on the external speaker. Make sure you get the right mix of ferrite chokes and that you use at least 6 on the coax at the feedpoint of the antenna. Use one around the speaker wire and try and get as many wraps as possible around the choke. This should help. Has the radio been peaked and tuned? If so it might be that it's not tuned correctly. Not saying it isn't, but I would check the antenna setup first and make sure it's all setup right. JMHO's.

The radio is not peaked and the match is good no other audio mods done to it has less than 10 hours on it What type and size of chokes are you talking about. Thanks

Ones that will fit tightly over your coax. They make snap on ferrite chokes. Check eBay. They actually have kits for this purpose that use the correct mix. Search for snap on ferrite chokes for the size coax you are using. You want them to be on there tight but not smashing the coax. Place 6 at the feedpoint of the antenna and also 1 on the speaker wire. This one wrap as many turns through it as you can and still close them. Hope this helps. The mix want will be determined by the frequency you are using them on. There are charts that will show the correct ones. Just google it. What type ferrite chokes are right for 27MHz or HF use.

So what is the problem and fix with with talk back turned off and still coming over external speaker on a 955HP?

This issue with the 955 is known to Stryker. I had them do the repair when the radio was at their shop a few months ago for other warranty repairs. I forget exactly what they did to get the talkback to go away completely.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Heard a few say that the stock mic causes the talk back over external speaker. I might try a different mic

The fix for this is:
use a 10K resistor and a 4148 diode, the banded end of the diode point towards the audio chip.
A shout out to shawn

Attachments

• IMG_20130510_121130_011.jpg
    IMG_20130510_121130_011.jpg
    1,000 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20130510_121213_500.jpg
    IMG_20130510_121213_500.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
Reactions: BBB
Good job getting that info redlght!!! Now others that have the same issue can hopefully resolve their issue as well. If they feel they can perform the necessary soldering. Looks good. Well done and glad you got it resolved. Easy enough fix as long as you know how to solder. Good info and thx for posting the fix. I don't own one of these radios, but it's nice to see issues be resolved and the fix posted as so that others can benefit from it as well. (y)(y)

My 955 is noisy as well but so is my Lincoin 2+ I was able to cut the noise in half by going from a fender hood mount to a Stryker A10 mag mount. Much quieter but I still get tons of noise when I’m driving around town. 5 to 6db worth! My grant xl has hardly any noise to speak of no matter where I am driving. Maybe I should swap the coax out that came with the A10 and replace with 240. When I was running my 955 in my 18 Silverado with a fender mount I was getting tons of noise from the power steering and lights but in my wife’s 23 4 runner trd pro it’s so much more quiet using the A10 Stryker mag. If I get away from town I get 0db noise but if I’m in town I’ll get 4-7 depends where I am. If I could get my 955 receive to sound like my grant it would be the perfect mobile radio!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.