• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker Sr-440hp Review

C

CBTricks

I am working on the review to put on the site so if you have any first impressions let me know.
I will have the sample radio back in hand Mon. I let a friend take it on the road to play with so far so good is what I have from him.

To be fair I want to see what others have in testing and see if they have the same as I.
So far I having ran across any big concerns.

According to Slim Jim, it's a Magnum clone with a few tweaks, it's no redesign of the radio, the board is the same. It's basically change the resistor value, no new design there!

Very True. From my understanding, the inside guts of the 440 makes it a whole different radio. But what do I know, I'm not part of the Rolling Radios fan group.

My tech has got one and altough they work and sound very well he says he can see no big difference in the two and if thats what the man says then you can be sure thats how it is.But for less than $230.00 that along will give the magnum guys fits!

DCowboys, I'm with ya and will even go one step further. I'm not a Rolling Radios or a Justin cheerleader. I'm sure they can both do a tune and have for the most part good customer service. That said no one is beyond making a mistake and no one is perfect. I want to see the straight scoop on this Stryker. Can it really do the numbers and can the average Joe install one and duplicate the advertised numbers. I was very disappointed that a Magnum S3 I bought was claimed to be doing 51 Bird 43p peak watts. On a local guys bench, Bird 43p @14 volts into a dummy load we saw 38 watts. ??? Bring on the Stryker.

72 pep?? Oh yeah, the magic pep meters. Sounds like someone needs a new meter or have it tuned.

318 I believe only one of the two mentioned can actually really tune a Radio. Turning a couple pots here and thier and adding a couple of diodes doesn't qualify RR as a technician. But thier so many dumb cheerleaders out thier, they have no clue until a real tech does a really go job on a radio.

Well keep it real

72 watts was measured using a Coaxial Dynamics Model #83060.

If I were to guess that Meter is almost dead on.

The SR-440HP is capable on easily peaking at 62 + watts PEP or more. Remember this radio doesn't use the same final transistor setup as the S3 does. It is capable of more power, while still running at a low temperature and without over modulation or harmonics. The numbers I have personally quoted are from a Bird 4391 RF Analyst with the radio at 14.10 volts. DTB uses a similarly accurate peak reading arrangement and can verify the accuracy of these claims. I've spoken to a number of shops over the last week that have consistently seen this power output on a Bird or comparable meter. On the box it actually states 55 + watts PEP, so from a marketing stand point we weren't trying to over hype what the radio was capable of doing.

I just had a friend stop by with one.The peak power was 65 watts(13.8 volts) no matter if the key was low or high,best on air reports was at 5 watts dead key.
The receive did not seem to be as strong as my 95T but i did not hear as much noise either.
Every one i talked to said that the radio sounded great,some said it was better than my 95T and thats not good :shock:
I loved the way the radio looked with the blue lights,killer!

In the end all i can say is.........anyone wanna buy a used 95T?

you don't "tune" rf power meters, you "calibrate" them, and that should be done in a standards laboratory once a year. as for the PEP statement, the rf devices used in these radios are typically rated in PEP output by the manufacturers themselves in their spec. sheets and that's what we want to measure. if you for some strange and unexplainable reason want the equivalent average power figures then divide the PEP numbers by 2.828. take for example the figure of 72W PEP mentioned earlier, that would be 25.46W AVG..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.