• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker Sr-440hp Review

Carl said:
i would really like to see a ssb model with a freq counter. thats something that could take my s9 out of the truck.

I would like to see a SSB Model also. Make it like th Corba 148F GTL .. It has a Freq counter and nice audio also.
Tom

At close range when judging the audio only I would say a Stryker should be right there with any radio. Of course the 95T will have more watts. There are more then several people that say the Stryker blows their Galaxy 45MP away.

My Stryker is far better than my 45MP. I see more watts out of the 2x4 and less TVI.

Now as far as a 95T goes I couldn't tell you. The 45MP was and is the last Galaxy I will ever buy. Once they removed the "Big Rig Series" logos from the 48T and 95T I decided they were no longer enough for me.

A follow up to my earlier comments on the Stryker's receiver not being as sensitive as my S-6. I now run my Stryker full time and the Magnum is my backup radio. The Stryker is much quieter, but still will pick up many things the Magnum might not hear because of the level of background noise present (a level of S-1 to 2 is common on channel 19 during the day on the Stryker). I consistently hear at least 12-15 miles in my tractor, many times I will hear further than that. A driver I run with on Tuesdays says that the Magnum sounds better to him, but he is used to the sound of a Galaxy (he owns a 44 and a 45MP). I will probably put the Magnum up for sale soon to raise money for yet another toy, but for now my Stryker is the only mobile I will run.

Rant away. I was pretty sure that I was hearing the same (or more) than I was used to. I told myself that I needed to just give it a chance for a solid month or so and see. I can't stand to hear my Magnum now. It hears so much trash compared to the Stryker, there's no comparison. My FedEx buddy likes the sound of the Magnum better, but I will not be using it anymore. Unless I slipseat and need a radio that I am not as concerned about damaging with a higher SWR.

I'll chime in on the Stryker receive discussion, as well. When I first tested the prototype I was sent, I wasn't really happy with what I was seeing on my test equipment. I seemed to be getting a stronger and cleaner audio signal for lower-level signals out of my Uniden PC68, at least when looking at tthe audio on a 'scope. However, real-life usage tests over a long period of time have shown that the Stryker is definitely a BIG winner in the receive department, regardless of what the bench test results were. I have chosen to use it as my home base unit as a result, and I am VERY happy with the performance.

some data please

JustinDePolis said:
That is one of the problems that I've found with both the Stryker, and the radios that I have done the mosfet modification to.

For instance, I get a customer that has just had the mosfet front end installed. in their vehicle, the minute they would turn thier radio on, they're used to getting about an S-3 to S-5 or so of noise.

Now, afterwards, they have about S-1, or so, and it's quiet. I've had people swear up and down I've "broken" their receiver, or that it's less sensitive.

So... I have to show then on a signal generator, that the same 100 microvolt input will show an S-9 on a "stick" receiver, and an S-9 on the modified one, to show that the sensitivity is up to par, but that dynamic range, and the internal noise floor (noise that is generated in the receiver's circuitry itself) has dropped.

After a few days, they say that they hear everything they used to and more!!

For instance, if I turn on a Cobra 29 next to my Yaesu, both same frequency, both same antenna, te 29 automatically has about S-6, and the Yaesu an S-2. Does this mean my Yaesu is broken, and the Cobra is a better receiver? LOL

One day, I hope all CB radio operators will have a radio that will have a great receiver, to where this low noise floor, and exceptional performance is the "norm" and not the opposite.

Sorry for the rant.... :D

Justin

can you give us some type of test info. not trying to be a wet blanket, but i have seen no type of test data. can you tell us the measured noise floor before and after the modifications? how about sinad readings before or after the modifications (this will tell us if the radio is more or less sensitive or just stays the same). how about the dynamic range you mentioned? is this for blocking dynamic range or imd dynamic range, and what test results?

the s9 readings you mention above does not tell us anything. one radio could have a sinad reading of 10db at -113dbm and the other a 10db sinad at -110dbm. both could be calibrated to show s9 at -67dbm(100uv). so the s9 reading is no indication of sensitivity, only the sinad measurement where the 10db at -113dbm is the more sensitive.

the yaesu and cobra is not a true comparison either. the cobra may show s6 at -90dbm and the yaesu may show s2 at -90dbm. although supposedly the set standard is 6db per s-unit, we all know this is not the case from radio to radio.

i have tested the noise floor (internal not ambient) for the 690010z and the 990011b. i'll be glad to give my test set-up, and test results if you will agree to do the same.

please don't take this as a slam, i just find it hard to believe some things without any tests to prove what is said.

btw, i don't know what kind of equipment you may have or don't have, but i am set up here for pretty much any type of testing needed. i would be glad to do an unbiased test if necessary.

this may be something hot, but being from a technical background you understand i have to wonder.

i partly wonder because you admitted in a post of yours that the front end sensitivity was lessened with this modification. the radio can only hear what the front end can hear. it doesn't matter if another stage has an amplification gain of 1 zillion. if the 1st stage doesn't hear/pass/detect the signal, then no other stage will hear this signal.

if this is the case, the internal noise floor is being increased instead of reduced. this in turn does reduce surrounding noise but only because the radio is not sensitive enough to pick up that noise. the s-meter can still be set to a s9 reading with a -67dbm input, but this does not give any indication of sensitivity.

i have seen in some of the galaxy/rci built radios where reducing the sensitivity of the front end reduced surrounding noise enough that signals that could not be heard before could be heard afterwards. this was because the surrounding on frequency noise was not being amplified as much as it was previously. galaxy radio tech support even suggests detuning the front end to operators who complain that their newer radios (6900 board) are too noisy. i wonder if this may be the case with this modification. maybe it is actually lessening the sensitivity of the front end enough to kill the excessive noise and hence giving a lower smeter reading when a signal is not received.

this is just my observations from my readings of your modifications, my technical background, and real world experience with radio equipment.

just an idea, someone do a watergate of a stryker side by side with a cobra 29, recieive and audio, or a video clip of an actual bird with the stryker hitting 60 watts or so ????? i think it would really prove some points, hell i would even host it !!

peace nightrider

www.nightriders-world.com

i guess all that is left now is some tests.

as far as talking tech talk, that is fine but busine$$ talk is always much better. you can call me anytime, if i'm not out at a tower site or something, i'll be glad to talk to you.

no, i don't think you are too straight forward. that is the only way to be.

I would be interested in these test results as well. Thanks Richard for repairing those Galaxys I couldn't. I am amazed that people don't listen to the likes of Justin, Richard, Jack, Dave, and several others. Justin, have you ever talked antennas with Freecell(Jack)?

Just my opinion but best mobile ssb cbs are the old Cobra 148, Grant XL, and Grant LT.

Best base solid state cbs are the CPI 2000B and the Cobra 2000. I don't remember if the Tram 300 was solid state but I think it was.

Best 10 meter AM/FM radio is the Stryker.

Best 10 meter SSB radios are the 2950s, President 2510, Lincoln, and maybe the old Cobra 148GTL B and DX models, along with the President Grant DX and Jackson.

Most of the other radios built are clones of these older chasis.

Also some of them can be moded to work fairly well.

Thanks to all for the great tech talk.

Ben in Florida

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.