• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stuck working on cars...

2NC995

DAN
Feb 23, 2008
Coastal NC
Too many adult children with car problems. This time...”it just started making noise...”

You think maybe you could bring it by a little sooner next time?

A4D48AA2-23D6-4F56-B707-2405BC06218D.jpeg

My stepson has a '14 f150 with a similar problem. The grooves are so deep they can not be turned. The dealership who sold it to him is replacing the brakes for free. Good thing his older brother is good friends with the manager.

I placed son into “competition“ via story. That I could hit 70k, but never match my Dad who’d hit 90k on brake jobs [1970’s]. The Marine pilot (of today) takes note, and gears click.

Happily, I only work on mine.

Dad’s been gone ten years in another two months, he’d get a kick out of it that this 1T truck of mine had new pads at 120k (previous owner), but is still fine at almost a quarter-million since I’ve had it.

I wondered at the thread title word choice of “stuck”. As this is a radio forum, radio install “fun” therefore, so imagined a pic of something off-kilter.

Alls I can say re adult kids is that (Round Two) Mr Pilots new wife lost a tire due to road hazard, and that his new SUV shoes cost just as much as it would cost me for top Michelin’s on mine.

But his replacement set comes at a quarter of the miles I get from tires (I’m finishing up second-ever set now).

It’s slow progress towards sainthood, brother. I’m in my sixties and am on the verge of being able to use, “someday when I’m gone you’ll realize” . . .

Start practicing the sigh, the hands falling down, the depressed aspect accompanies that statement.

The finish is “hearing” The Call and we take several steps to the side to look skywards. A great pause, we are silhouetted against the evening sky. (Pull the Full Hollywood organ stop: cue distant soundtrack with choir).

Mines canny to this aspect of me — setting him up like a triple bank shot — I might not be able to make it through before he recognizes the act.

Here’s to success in pulling it off with yours!!

Last edited:
I don’t like to do too much for my adult children. Even if I had bags of money to hand out, I wouldn’t.

But I work in their cars...all of them. They don’t always appreciate it. I have a virtual parts store in my garage...when they trade in one clunker for the next, I order another case of filters and couple more 6 gallon boxes of synthetic oil. I don’t do everything...but all the routine maintenance, as well ball joints, wheel bearings, brakes and that kind of stuff.

More often than not they haven’t the foggiest notion how much time/money is saved, but once it while their eyes open.

My stepdaughter had one not too long ago...I think she bumped it into neutral, but she insists the transmission was slipping. Goes to the dealer with her 20 year old car and they want her to plunk thousands on a new transmission and replace every joint in the front end. While she’s in crisis mode, I had to remind her this was MUCH more than the car was worth. Talked her into letting me change the tranny fluid, and take a look at the front end..right in the parking lot at the college. Of course, all the joints were tight, and it was the wheel bearings that were bad. Roller bearings falling all over parking lot kind of bad.

About $150 and a few hours down time and she was rolling again. Sold the car after another 50,000 or so miles...tranny never “slipped” again.

Best kind of Dad or Dad In Law.

(I use the shaving mirror to practice The Sigh. Am currently convinced it has to do with a bite of silence. Eternity. Have to be older just to know what that is. Something relative youth can’t touch. “Payback” for their sharper eyes and stronger limbs. The game is on till I’m gone).

Last edited:
Min spec on this rotor is 20.4mm...measures 16.92. Lol. Would probably take off another 3-4mm to make it true...and the inner fins would be showing, haha.

That is when it finally begins to "Buzz" like Anti-lock brakes, only, all the time - maybe they'll get a clue...

WOW - amazing their wheel or tire didn't fail from all that heat and sparks...

Must have been fun to watch them drive at night...the wheels would really light up...

CalvinHobbesScrunch.jpg

Last edited:
I got lucky ! My Wife loves her brakes ! But quite a few years back I had her 89' F-250 , pulled in my driveway & the front rotor exploded ! :LOL: Shame on me ! :whistle: Now if I hear a noise ... to the shop it goes ! I lost a lot of Brain/ambition after my seizure 20 years back . My latest problem , the 06' Eddie Bauer Explorer w/ 133k on it ( I inherited from her ) , Reverse don't work so good ! Estimate's here for repair , $1800-2000 for repair ! Doesn't make much sense spending that on a 4K$ Suv !:rolleyes:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.