• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Study guide for license exam in February

I sure wouldn't call the extra test easy. I seriously doubt very many extras could pass it again without any studying.

I was talking about Technician & General. I have never taken the Extra & never will for that small little bit of band space it's not worth the effort. I can't use all of the band space I have now as a General. LOL

SIX-SHOOTER

Radio is the first interest I have ever had that I suck at. I am so used to understanding things yet everything about radio I struggle with. This has become my own little war that I am trying to win, and making extra is just one battle along the way.

Reactions: n8fgb and Slowmover
I was talking about Technician & General. I have never taken the Extra & never will for that small little bit of band space it's not worth the effort. I can't use all of the band space I have now as a General. LOL

SIX-SHOOTER
If you chase DX it's nice to have. When you copy a rare entity 5/7 and you've figured out the split but don't have the license privilege to get em...disheartening to say the least. Happened to me a couple times and that's all it took. Back to studying for me..
General opens up most doors but I have found Extra to be beneficial for what I like to do with the hobby.

If the tests have not changed since I took them any question that gives you a choice of All of the above then that is the correct answer.I know the questions have changed but not sure if all of them with that choice are still correct on Tech & General tests? I used eHam online testing & MFJ Study guides that only have the correct answers which many people HATE but they work.I used Code Quick & passed the CW with Straight Copy & have not used CW since the test. LOL

SIX-SHOOTER

My experience says this is no longer the case.

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
I have been on QRZ taking the General test and the questions asked to me have actually nothing to do with knowing how to operate or use a Ham radio. Almost all the questions to me will be worthless one minute after you turn on your radio. I know now i will have to buy a book to learn the answers asked as no one would ever know them without being very familiar with ham radio. I am starting to lose interest in having to go back to school just so i can turn a radio on switch it to the right band and just talk.

I have been on QRZ taking the General test and the questions asked to me have actually nothing to do with knowing how to operate or use a Ham radio. Almost all the questions to me will be worthless one minute after you turn on your radio. I know now i will have to buy a book to learn the answers asked as no one would ever know them without being very familiar with ham radio. I am starting to lose interest in having to go back to school just so i can turn a radio on switch it to the right band and just talk.
If you have zero interest in radio, or learning about radio.... why use a radio at all? If you just want to communicate with others, telephone is easier, as is the internet. Unless I am misunderstanding something.

I have to agree here. There are parts on the test concerning digital types of communication. Nothing about theory. Everything about baud rates and such. Now if I want to get into this I will learn it later. Asking me now just frustrates me and may cause me to not pass. So I am forced to memorize something that I fear will not be used by this potential operator. My interests lie in DX ing.

I feel your pain. But I stuck with it and got my tech a year ago in January. Knowing I wanted more HF privileges, I continued studying and got my General in March. At the encouragement of others, I put my nose to the grindstone and got my Extra in May. I am 66 and have no electronics or science background whatsoever. I can't tell you how happy I am I did this.
You will be, too, I guarantee. Push on. (y)

Hi Riverman71. I feel fortunate that the Technician and General are actually pretty easy for me. I have had hobbies that were electronics related. I have been into CB since the 70s. I have been in so long I recall having to obtain a CB license. Mine was KDF7537. So I like to read about electronics and build my own antennas. I don't have a commercial antenna except for my mobil. I love audio gear and built my own home theater system.

Anyhow when I first took the online tests I was amazed on what I knew just from the above mentioned hobbies. Being 67 I have accumulated enough to pass the tests. That is if the questions are more related to general theory and electronics. Then all of a sudden the digital mode stuff comes along and bunches up my brain into a nice wad and I fail that round. So I guess I am going to have to memorize a bunch of those answers. Knowing my luck I will be handed the packet of questions that will contain just enough of the digital stuff I will have a very sour puss look on my face as I proceed to fail. So I better get ready for that type of questions.

Thanks for the encouragement. I take the test this weekend. Feb. 16. I am going to try for both Technician and General.

Hi Riverman71. I feel fortunate that the Technician and General are actually pretty easy for me. I have had hobbies that were electronics related. I have been into CB since the 70s. I have been in so long I recall having to obtain a CB license. Mine was KDF7537. So I like to read about electronics and build my own antennas. I don't have a commercial antenna except for my mobil. I love audio gear and built my own home theater system.

Anyhow when I first took the online tests I was amazed on what I knew just from the above mentioned hobbies. Being 67 I have accumulated enough to pass the tests. That is if the questions are more related to general theory and electronics. Then all of a sudden the digital mode stuff comes along and bunches up my brain into a nice wad and I fail that round. So I guess I am going to have to memorize a bunch of those answers. Knowing my luck I will be handed the packet of questions that will contain just enough of the digital stuff I will have a very sour puss look on my face as I proceed to fail. So I better get ready for that type of questions.

Thanks for the encouragement. I take the test this weekend. Feb. 16. I am going to try for both Technician and General.

Cool!
You got this! Go ahead and plan your celebration dinner! (y):)

Thanks guys. Later that same day the club that is doing the testing is having a class on making antennas. Right up my alley. The antenna will be 2 meter measuring tape antenna. I'd actually like to do something a bit more robust but I think I will go to the meeting for the meet and greet value of it.

Reactions: Riverman
... edit... the digital mode stuff comes along and bunches up my brain into a nice wad and I fail that round. So I guess I am going to have to memorize a bunch of those answers. Knowing my luck I will be handed the packet of questions that will contain just enough of the digital stuff I will have a very sour puss look on my face as I proceed to fail...

The structure of the test elements and the question selection process will not allow the test to be "slanted" towards any element subject matter.

good luck

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.