• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stupid things seen or heard at a CB shop

PRICELESS! Here's my contribution:

I live in Collierville, Tn, near W. Memphis, Ar. where the infamous Channel 5 shop advertises on 19 constantly. I went in there a couple years ago to check them out & was looking around to see what kind of equipment they used. Not seeing anything in sight such as an o'scope, I asked if they had one. The "young punk tech" proceeded to tell me the last time he used one (which I'll wager is NEVER) he got better results without it. Sadly, I think he actually thought I would believe that BS!!!!

I look back now & wish I'd said I'd forgotten more about CB's than he'd ever know!!!!!

I live in Collierville, Tn, near W. Memphis, Ar. where the infamous Channel 5 shop advertises on 19 constantly. I went in there a couple years ago to check them out & was looking around to see what kind of equipment they used. Not seeing anything in sight such as an o'scope, I asked if they had one. The "young punk tech" proceeded to tell me the last time he used one (which I'll wager is NEVER) he got better results without it. Sadly, I think he actually thought I would believe that BS!!!!

I look back now & wish I'd said I'd forgotten more about CB's than he'd ever know!!!!!

Back in the day, On the Mississippi side of the State line was Ray's CB Shop, Which wasn't all that bad. My Theory is, Anyone Can Turn A Screwdriver !!!

I live in Collierville, Tn, near W. Memphis, Ar. where the infamous Channel 5 shop advertises on 19 constantly.!

Dayum,..... I'm just a few miles east of you,.... and I've never heard of this.

is this shop still operating?

am I missin somthin?:blink:

Yessir, they're hard at it every day hollerin' on 19 to go to 5 for the "Channel 5 CB shop". They're on a service road right around all the truck stops.

Swampdog @ Exit 42 On I40 isn't any different except he isn't on the radio as much.

Last edited:
Reactions: rabbiporkchop
This sint from a CB shop but i heard this on the air one night about 20 years ago.. Operator 1, "My SWRS is too high!" Operator 2, "Just give a whiste for a bit and your modulation will drive them thar' swars right out of you antennie system!" Operator 1, "ok ill try that". a few minutes later the op #1 was on a different radio, "i dont know about that whistlin deal, man as my radio just blew a final thingie!" LOLOLOL

Oh, heres a good one! A former friend of mine (former as he would talk about me behind my back and id find out!) had a CB shop in an old bread truck set up outside our local truck stop. He would work a few days a week and then spend the rest of the time at home on his duff doing nothing while his wife busted her ass working 12 hours a day sometimes for 7 days a week!!! He would tell truckers some of the darndest things. Like "oh dont worry about your SWR light coming on on your radio" Or "If youd let me i can get that Cobra 29 to swing over 50 watts!" In the end he screwed over one too many peoiple(as well as messed up a TON of radios!) that the lady that ran the truck stop asked him to leave. What floored me is he ADMITTED to my face of ripping off truckers and said "Truckers are the dumbest people you'll ever meet! I can tell them idiots anything and they believe me!"

That's the biggest problem with these shops Zman. They have basically a captive audience. Most drivers barely know the basics about the $350 radio they are putting in their trucks. More power, more modulation, big coils on your antenna, and mount that antenna at a 45 degree angle so it looks cool. That's as far as most of these guys get into that pricey piece of hardware.

I worked with a guy who was getting interested in radio, asked alot of questions, and spent some time learning what my 2510 was all about. He decided to get a RCI 2970. This is after he had quit his job with my company and moved to North Dakota to run frac sand to the oil fields. He sent me a pic of his new radio and told me all the crap that the shop had convinced him to have done to that thing. I was astonished at the lies he had been fed, and believed. Then I saw the anti tamper sticker on the side of the radio. The poor thing had been super whack packed. It only lasted three months before the finals blew. The bias was waaayyy off.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If only HALF of these stories are true, then maybe understand the other side of the fence. Like when a customer, good intentioned, would come into the shop and ask a question. We would give them the proper technical answer, only to have them argue with us telling us joe billy bob's cb shop in the rusted out trailer on the side of the road somewhere told them something else, and we must be up to something.

Or that we bought test equipment even though "you don;t need all that" and it was just for looks to impress people. (even though we had it all in the back behind a secure door with a security code, and would let people back only if they asked as the place was a radio shop, not a hang out social event)

Or they would ask...why so much? Why an hour or two, you guys must not know what you are doing because good ol' boys radio chop shop off of (name an interstate) can do this in only 15 minutes.

Figures...:confused:

If only HALF of these stories are true, then maybe understand the other side of the fence. Like when a customer, good intentioned, would come into the shop and ask a question. We would give them the proper technical answer, only to have them argue with us telling us joe billy bob's cb shop in the rusted out trailer on the side of the road somewhere told them something else, and we must be up to something.

Or that we bought test equipment even though "you don;t need all that" and it was just for looks to impress people. (even though we had it all in the back behind a secure door with a security code, and would let people back only if they asked as the place was a radio shop, not a hang out social event)

Or they would ask...why so much? Why an hour or two, you guys must not know what you are doing because good ol' boys radio chop shop off of (name an interstate) can do this in only 15 minutes.

Figures...:confused:

Where's my microphone?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.